Windows 10: Can the Windows guys change the Windows default registry to enable file extensions by default?

Discus and support Can the Windows guys change the Windows default registry to enable file extensions by default? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File extensions are a technical thing, but people will learn how to create different types of files in code. Also, too many tutorials say to turn on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ericsilveira, May 4, 2020.

1. Can the Windows guys change the Windows default registry to enable file extensions by default?

File extensions are a technical thing, but people will learn how to create different types of files in code.

Also, too many tutorials say to turn on extensions to do simple tasks.

:)

ericsilveira, May 4, 2020

2. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, May 4, 2020
  3. Reefer86 Win User
    How to change default torrent client on a whim?

no you would have to activate it in azuerus options to use the torrent files as default. it will change a registry file. but it would be done in azuerus not the other program, as turning it off wouldnt change the registry entry and would still default to G3.

never heard of G3 tho, i use Utorrent

Reefer86, May 4, 2020
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Can the Windows guys change the Windows default registry to enable file extensions by default?

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, May 4, 2020
Thema:

Can the Windows guys change the Windows default registry to enable file extensions by default?

1. Can the Windows guys change the Windows default registry to enable file extensions by default? - Similar Threads - guys change default

2. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  3. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  4. Windows Registry restore to defaults.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Registry restore to defaults.: Hello,My PC was just affected by a virus which changed my whole registry and now some services like windows defender and firewall is not working. And I don't have a backup of it and system restore was also not working. So I thought that if someone who never changed his...
  5. Default Registries

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default Registries: Please could someone tell me the default values for CoolSitchColumms, CoolSwitchRows and CursorBlinkRate in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop submitted by /u/void_the_gardevoir [link] [comments]...
  6. Resetting a Registry file to it's default

Resetting a Registry file to it's default: Hello, I'm a gamer who play Escape from Tarkov, I have a moderate laptop so my fps isn't so good... a month ago I saw a reddit post that had a method to increase FPS, he said to disable full screen optimization of the .exe first then said to change some registry files that...
  7. Changing default apps to match a file extension

Changing default apps to match a file extension: I am attempting to change the default app of .tifs and .jpgs to Adobe Photoshop which isn't even on the list of default apps. Is there anyway to get it on the list? I have no use for the app that .tifs and jpgs do open in. I forget what it is,...
  8. How to Change Default Programs in Registry

How to Change Default Programs in Registry: Hi, I'm trying to change the default program for opening .txt files to notepad++ in Windows 10. When I go to the normal Default Programs in "Settings", there is no option for notepad++ and I can't find anything in the store. So I figured that left me with the registry....
  9. extension default change

extension default change: Would like to know how to change default programs for extensions eg. txt, rtf. NOT the easy way that doesn't work - settings only offers certain choices and I want something NOT listed - in this case I want Wordpad....
  10. Default App extensions

Default App extensions: my ex_ extension got switch to Adobe Acrobat, & I would like to switch it back to its original "Open With", but at this point do not know what the original "Open With" was. This is in Windows 10 & keeps referring to look for an App in the store.......