Windows 10: Can this OS be moved to a new build computer?

Discus and support Can this OS be moved to a new build computer? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I want to move the OS (Win 10 pro) from an older computer to a new build. The sys. started as a Win 7 full retail sys. Then was updated Win 8 / 8.1.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by undine, Sep 16, 2016.

1. undine Win User

Can this OS be moved to a new build computer?

I want to move the OS (Win 10 pro) from an older computer to a new build.
    The sys. started as a Win 7 full retail sys. Then was updated Win 8 / 8.1. Then updated to Win 10.
    Can someone say if this can be moved and then activated? Thanks, .

:)

undine, Sep 16, 2016
  2. Entegy Win User

How can a message be moved to a different e-mail account?

This seems to be a Gmail feature that Windows Phone does not implement due to the use of ActiveSync on Google accounts. On iOS, I can only move mail between Gmail accounts, but not if they are setup via the Exchange trick. There is no way of moving mail
    between accounts.

Entegy, Sep 16, 2016
  3. How can a message be moved to a different e-mail account?

Whereas I cannot move messages to an Exchange account, I can move them
    from Exchange accounts to either an IMAP account or Yahoo. This is useful because sometimes I get mail sent to one account that should have gone to (and be filed with) another, and my Exchange account has a very small
    size cap which my employer will not increase, so I continually have to shuttle mail from this account to my larger IMAP account. This works fine in Outlook and on iOS, and also worked on Windows Mobile 6.1, but not Windows Phone 7.5

Dan_Santa_Monica, Sep 16, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

It should; if it is truly a truly a retail key. The upgraded OS to 10 should have converted the product key to a 10 key. So, using the MS media creation tool with the ISO on a USB (easiest IMO) and doing a clean install with your current key should work just fine. If not then a phone call to MS to activate it over the phone will work.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950929

Plankton, Sep 16, 2016
  5. undine Win User
    Plankton, Thanks for your reply and link. I'll give it a try.

undine, Sep 17, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    If you did an upgrade/update from 8.1 to 10 the answer is no. You will need to get a new retail key for the new build. The key that's used in the upgrade is a generic one and is not transferable.

BunnyJ, Sep 17, 2016
  7. Plankton Win User
    BunnyJ....did MS change that....as it worked for me using 8.1 and windows 10.... on 10, prior to the Anniversary update.

Plankton, Sep 17, 2016
  8. BunnyJ New Member

It's always been that you can't transfer a upgrade license from one PC to another one. The license is bound to that motherboard and unless the new build makes use of the exact same motherboard the new PC will need a new license. Accoring to the OP it states that 8.1 was updated/upgraded to 10 and it wasn't done with a retail key therefore it can't be transferred.

I hope that makes sense.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can this OS be moved to a new build computer? - Similar Threads - moved build computer

2. Move OS to new internal SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move OS to new internal SSD: Hello, I bought a new internal SSD that I installed on my motherboard. I initiated it from Disk Management. Since the new SSD is way better more speed and more space, I want to migrate my OS to the new one without any third-party tool unless it's free. Can someone help me?...
  3. Move OS to new internal SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move OS to new internal SSD: Hello, I bought a new internal SSD that I installed on my motherboard. I initiated it from Disk Management. Since the new SSD is way better more speed and more space, I want to migrate my OS to the new one without any third-party tool unless it's free. Can someone help me?...
  4. new computer build

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    new computer build: can i put my existing hard drive with win 10 on a new computer build https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-computer-build/5b16ff02-4555-4139-9664-8e5af6ca70fc
  5. Building a new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Building a new computer: Hello! I currently have Windows 10 Pro on my PC, building a new computer from scratch tomorrow and I have the installer on a USB key. How can I re-use my key? Is that possible? Thanks! submitted by /u/MSK13 [link] [comments]...
  6. Installing OS on a new PC Build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing OS on a new PC Build: Recently I’ve ordered pc parts to make a custom pc build and I have been struggling to find a way to install Win10 on it once I build it. I don’t have another computer to install a .iso file on a usb so I am pretty much clueless on how to install Win10. I tried researching...
  7. Move W10 to new build.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Move W10 to new build.: I just completed my first pc build, thanks with the W10 transfer. I did Great! I want to build another for my wife. she has a laptop that originally was W8 which I free upgraded to 10. Can I install W10 on the new build and use her activation key to activate her Windows...
  8. Moving OS Drive To A New Build

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OS Drive To A New Build: Hi, hope this is the right forum. just wanting to check i'm good to go on a system rebuild; as per my other thread, i've got some new parts [mobo, cpu, DDR4, PSU] that i'm going to put into my build that has become flaky. after chats on another forum, i discovered you can now...
  9. Remove OS from HHD moved to new computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove OS from HHD moved to new computer: My laptop died and I replaced it with a new laptop that came with an SSD but had space for an HDD. I moved the HDD from the old computer to the new one, thus keeping all my files and gaining 1 TB of storage. The first time I booted up everything was fine. The second time, the...
  10. Moving OS to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving OS to new SSD: I have my Windows 10 OS installed in my old HDD. I recently put in a m.2 NVMe SSD in my PC and i’m wondering if I can clone my Windows 10 OS to my new SSD ONLY. I want to keep my pictures, videos and games in my HDD not move it anywhere. Is this possible? If so please tell me...