Windows 10: Can turning power off when the computer is in sleep mode or in the hibernate mode harm the...

Discus and support Can turning power off when the computer is in sleep mode or in the hibernate mode harm the... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I would like to whether there is any harm in turning power off when the computer is in sleep mode or in hibernate mode?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ezra Johns, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Can turning power off when the computer is in sleep mode or in the hibernate mode harm the...

I would like to whether there is any harm in turning power off when the computer is in sleep mode or in hibernate mode?

:)

Ezra Johns, Mar 5, 2021

2. Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

I'm starting to lose track of what we're disagreeing on. I can't say what was on the mind of whoever designed the technique in the past, but today it is a tool available to any supporting platform where the users need it. Hybrid sleep is functionally a suspension to disk without clearing the ram, at its core it is a hibernation. Arguing which method is for which platform is -with all due respect- a waste of time. I would agree to the argument that Hybrid sleep is more versatile than simple hibernation, though, but that doesn't make hibernation a non valid method of suspension on desktops. And if someone intended for long down-times or expected power loss, the differences between hibernation and hybrid sleep become inexistent.

For the frequent blackouts part, we have to consider the scope of the issue here: whoever opts to use any suspension method, hibernation, sleep or hybrid sleep, does so explicitly to avoid shutting down the computer (for whichever reason they wanted). Anecdotal example: I'm off to work in the morning, but I do not want to close all the software and web pages I have open (and they can be many) and restart them later, so I have the choice of either sleep or hibernate (or hybrid methods), but with any S state less than 4, I run the risk of a blackout forcing me to what I avoided shutting down for, so I elect to use hibernation (or hybrid sleep, of which the hibernation part is what's needed).

A UPS is indeed a must have, but alas, not all of us live in the first world!

VRAM isn't wiped post-wake up, per se. The only way to wipe the entire memory is relieving if of power. Hibernation does have that effect in the suspension process (going into hibernation), upon waking up it repopulates the memory with what was occupying it before turning off (though I don't know if it was actually this simple).
    What was I referring to in my previous post is Windows' memory manager's functionality. When a process is closed (eg: Alt+F4ed the main window, killed in task manager, etc), all its memory heap is then freed up for other processes to use. So, any memory that is used when a computer wakes is for actually running processes, waking up won't reserve memory for anything else (other than hardware, I guess?)

Computers can be weird. I once had a recurring issue with Microsoft's Security Essential where it starts eating up all my ram after waking up from sleep. And I'm talking about 20GB of physical memory! Still don't know what caused that bug though. Couldn't reproduce it in later Windows installations on the same hardware either.
    And don't get me even started on those cheap Chinese hardware!

Shihabyooo, Mar 5, 2021
  3. Sleep mode

Hi Adam,

For us to better assist with your issue on sleep mode, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you made any updates to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you refer to this thread and follow the answer of Andre
    Da Costa to troubleshoot the issue with sleep mode missing.

You can also refer to this article that was
    created by Andre Da Costa to enable sleep mode.

Looking forward to you response.

Reymichael Ros, Mar 5, 2021
  4. Can turning power off when the computer is in sleep mode or in the hibernate mode harm the...

POWER - HIBERNATE AND SLEEP MODES

COMPUTER WILL GO INTO HIBERNATE OR
    SLEEP MODES BUT WONT STAY THERE AFTER 10 TO 20 MINUTES

DonaldAErnst, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

Can turning power off when the computer is in sleep mode or in the hibernate mode harm the...

1. Can turning power off when the computer is in sleep mode or in the hibernate mode harm the... - Similar Threads - turning power off

2. How to turn off sound when computer is on sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off sound when computer is on sleep mode: Hi, can someone help how to turn off the sound, I mean here exactly for radio which is running on Chome, when the computer is on sleep mode, for Windows 10.The computer goes to sleep but the radio keeps playing and it is annoying.If anyone can help would be great....
  3. How to turn off sound when computer is on sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off sound when computer is on sleep mode: Hi, can someone help how to turn off the sound, I mean here exactly for radio which is running on Chome, when the computer is on sleep mode, for Windows 10.The computer goes to sleep but the radio keeps playing and it is annoying.If anyone can help would be great....
  4. How to turn off sound when computer is on sleep mode

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Hibernation or sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernation or sleep mode?: While trying to troubleshoot my other issue, it appears that I have encountered a new one.Whenever I leave my computer to go to sleep, it seems like my computer randomly shuts down. However, when I press any key, it automatically boots back up. I did disable...
  6. Hibernation or sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernation or sleep mode?: While trying to troubleshoot my other issue, it appears that I have encountered a new one.Whenever I leave my computer to go to sleep, it seems like my computer randomly shuts down. However, when I press any key, it automatically boots back up. I did disable...
  7. Hibernation or sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Is the power saving mode harmful?

Is the power saving mode harmful?: Is the energy saving mode harmful in the long run? For example, if I put my computer into energy-saving mode 5 times a day. And is it harmful to turn the monitor on and off that often? I have heard that this can cause voltage spikes that can damage files and hardware. Ist...
  9. Computer turns off when going into sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer turns off when going into sleep mode: I just recently started to have an issue of my computer turning off when going into sleep mode. When I turn it back on it takes over 3 minutes to come back to life. I have a copy of the event log but not sure how to post the file. Any help would be appreciated....
  10. Sleep and hibernate modes

Sleep and hibernate modes: When I put my computer into either sleep mode or hibernate, the apps are closed down after a certain amount of time, making these modes useless. Is there a fix for this?...