Windows 10: Can updating BIOs with broken CMOS be fatal?

Discus and support Can updating BIOs with broken CMOS be fatal? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So, I think my CMOS battery is messed up although it seems to only be effecting the clock, and I am curious about this thought. I got an automatic BIOS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BCTheDude, Apr 16, 2024.

1. BCTheDude Win User

Can updating BIOs with broken CMOS be fatal?

So, I think my CMOS battery is messed up although it seems to only be effecting the clock, and I am curious about this thought. I got an automatic BIOS update on my HP laptop months ago, and recently my CMOS was likely messed up. Someone said that trying to upgrade with a broken CMOS can be terrible. If I did get a BIOS update again, would it just not install, or would my Windows 10 laptop be a goner?

:)

BCTheDude, Apr 16, 2024
  2. BAGZZlash Win User

MSI 5870 BIOS Update

Still can't reproduce. Could you please post the exact BIOSes that produce the issue?

BAGZZlash, Apr 16, 2024
  3. Turned on with CMOS jumper shorted - Is this fatal

In a moment of overclocking madness, I forgot to reset my CMOS jumper before turning on. This is on my Abit Fatality F-i90HD motherboard.

Now it will post to BIOS after I reset the CMOS (properly this time) but if I change anything in the BIOS and save it, it won't post. I've tried just changing the date and nothing else, still won't have it.

I'm off to the shop later to buy a replacement battery, just in case but I've not got high hopes on that one. I feel I may have fried whatever the CMOS info is stored in (EPROM or whatever).

Anyone know of a solution?

EnglishLion, Apr 16, 2024
  4. Can updating BIOs with broken CMOS be fatal?

Windows update bricked my bios ?? Thought to be impossible ?

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We'd like to get more information regarding the issue.

1. Are you able to sign in Windows?
    2. Once you sign in, does the display remains same as it is in the screen shot?
    We would suggest you to follow steps mentioned below and check if it helps.

1. Unplug all external devices except for keyboard and mouse.
    2. Load BIOS settings to default.
    3. Then try to boot the computer.

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Looking forward to your response.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Apr 16, 2024
Thema:

Can updating BIOs with broken CMOS be fatal?

1. Can updating BIOs with broken CMOS be fatal? - Similar Threads - updating BIOs broken

2. can a possibly broken CMOS battery effect windows update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can a possibly broken CMOS battery effect windows update?: Okay, I am kind of worried about this and despite being told it's likely not possible for this to happen, can a normal windows update like a monthly or optional one messed up my laptop with a possibly damaged CMOS? clock isn't working properly, that's the only sign at the...
  3. can a possibly broken CMOS battery effect windows update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can a possibly broken CMOS battery effect windows update?: Okay, I am kind of worried about this and despite being told it's likely not possible for this to happen, can a normal windows update like a monthly or optional one messed up my laptop with a possibly damaged CMOS? clock isn't working properly, that's the only sign at the...
  4. can a possibly broken CMOS battery effect windows update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can updating BIOs with broken CMOS be fatal?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can updating BIOs with broken CMOS be fatal?: So, I think my CMOS battery is messed up although it seems to only be effecting the clock, and I am curious about this thought. I got an automatic BIOS update on my HP laptop months ago, and recently my CMOS was likely messed up. Someone said that trying to upgrade with a...
  6. Can updating BIOs with broken CMOS be fatal?

Can updating BIOs with broken CMOS be fatal?: So, I think my CMOS battery is messed up although it seems to only be effecting the clock, and I am curious about this thought. I got an automatic BIOS update on my HP laptop months ago, and recently my CMOS was likely messed up. Someone said that trying to upgrade with a...
  7. Will upgrading to 11 with a possibly broken CMOS battery be bad?

Will upgrading to 11 with a possibly broken CMOS battery be bad?: So, I think my CMOS battery is messed up although it seems to only be effecting the clock, and I am curious about this thought. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-upgrading-to-11-with-a-possibly-broken-cmos/f3d3895c-ebfa-4506-85f4-e6d69fdd3a00
  8. UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the...: UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the jumper, nothing reset after PC was off for three hours and installed a new battery; motherboard GA-990FXA- UD5 rev 3.1 ver. FCG.I was able to get into win10 but after the replacement...
  9. UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the...: UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the jumper, nothing reset after PC was off for three hours and installed a new battery; motherboard GA-990FXA- UD5 rev 3.1 ver. FCG.I was able to get into win10 but after the replacement...
  10. UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging