Windows 10: Can USB v2.0 ports boot all bootable USB flash drives? Diff to USB v3?

Discus and support Can USB v2.0 ports boot all bootable USB flash drives? Diff to USB v3? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a problem with two bootable USB flash drives with some Tools on it. When I plug them into an USB v3.0 port then they boot successful. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pstein, Nov 27, 2019.

1. pstein Win User

Can USB v2.0 ports boot all bootable USB flash drives? Diff to USB v3?

I have a problem with two bootable USB flash drives with some Tools on it.

When I plug them into an USB v3.0 port then they boot successful.
    When I plug them into an USB v2.0 port on the same computer then they are NOT booting.

Yes, in the latter case they appear in BootMenu as option to be booted.
    However after selection and boot start they suddenly abort booting and the booting switches silently to the hard disk based WindowsOs.

The USB v2.0 ports seem to be ok. When I boot WinOS from hard disk and plug in USB flash drives I can read and write files from/to it.
    The Bootcode of the USB flash drive is a Legacy BIOS and the computer runs with Legacy BIOS.

So what could be the reason for non-booting?

Is there a booting capability difference to USB v3.0 ports?

Peter

:)

pstein, Nov 27, 2019
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Nov 27, 2019
  3. panchoman Win User
    Boot linux on USB drive

it might just be that your bios doesn't support it, but it should anyway.

make sure you go into the bios and make sure "boot other device" is enabled and try seeing if the usb is listed as an hdd.. as bootable flash drives are usually picked up as usb hdd's and check if your bios detects the flash drive.

panchoman, Nov 27, 2019
  4. Asylum Win User

What's the best USB Flash drive for boot drive

What's the best USB Flash drive for boot drive.

Looking to pick up a good usb flash drive for class to learn how to make a bootable flash drive for windows and linux.

Price is not much of a factor, What's the best 32 or 64 gig bootable drive out there?

Asylum, Nov 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Can USB v2.0 ports boot all bootable USB flash drives? Diff to USB v3? - Similar Threads - USB ports boot

2. Completely format bootable USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Completely format bootable USB flash drive: Hi How to completely format a bootable USB flash drive because I found there's a partition on the flash drive named "UEFI_NTFS" (EFI > Boot & Rufus folders with .efi files inside) that cannot be formatted. My other bootable USB with MBR partition can be fully formatted. I...
  3. Can USB v2.0 ports boot all bootable USB flash drives? Diff to USB v3?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can USB v2.0 ports boot all bootable USB flash drives? Diff to USB v3?: I have a problem with two bootable USB flash drives with some Tools on it. When I plug them into an USB v3.0 port then they boot successful. When I plug them into an USB v2.0 port on the same computer then they are NOT booting. Yes, in the latter case they appear in...
  4. bootable usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    bootable usb drive: I am having issues with a new dell 3781 laptop with win 10 pro. The dell os recovery file installed on a direct download to usb drive won't boot but goes directly to the desktop. To test this I need any bootable usb file software from any source, preferably a small file....
  5. USB ports, flash drives, and missing camera drives

USB ports, flash drives, and missing camera drives: Okay. So my problems started when I could no longer access my webcam. The webcam itself is in fine condition. I later checked and somehow, the driver had just disappeared from my computer. I attempted to download the driver needed from the webcam company's website, however it...
  6. USB 3.0 Flash Drive not detected in USB 3.0 port

USB 3.0 Flash Drive not detected in USB 3.0 port: my USB 3.0 flash drive is detected when plugged into the 2.0 USB port, but not when its plugged into the 3.0 USB port. But my 2.0 USB devices are detected when plugged into the 3.0 USB port. Is there any way to make it so 3.0 USB detects 3.0 USB? 130330
  7. Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive

Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive: Windows 10 custom built system - I have two USB flash drives - a Samsung USB 2.0 and a Sandisk USB 3.0 I have 4 USB ports at the top of the computer tower (Two are USB 3.0 [#1 and #2] and Two are USB 2.0 [#3 and #4]) The Samsung drive is recognized on USB #1,2,3, and 4 -...
  8. Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive: Windows 10 custom built system - I have two USB flash drives - a Samsung USB 2.0 and a Sandisk USB 3.0 I have 4 USB ports at the top of the computer tower (Two are USB 3.0 [#1 and #2] and Two are USB 2.0 [#3 and #4]) The Samsung drive is recognized on USB #1,2,3, and 4 -...
  9. Bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Bootable USB drive: Hi I have been speaking to Macrium via Facebook and decided I will go for the full version and have the security of a full image if my notebook ever goes wrong.... plus they gave me a 20% discount code so that is good *Smile Just a couple of questions.... 1. I want...
  10. Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...: I have followed instructions to create my own Windows 10 To Go flash drive. I have two suitable USB 3.0 flash drives: Corsair Voyager GTX and Super Talent RC4, both 128 GB versions. The Corsair Voyager GTX is not a certified Windows To Go drive, whereas the Super Talent...