Windows 10: can use usb flash drive to make system image backup?

Discus and support can use usb flash drive to make system image backup? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi. I have Windows 10 Home running on Lenovo desktop. Can a 128 gb usb 3.0 flash drive be used to make a system image backup? Is a usb flash drive the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jwindows10, Dec 24, 2016.

1. can use usb flash drive to make system image backup?

Hi. I have Windows 10 Home running on Lenovo desktop. Can a 128 gb usb 3.0 flash drive be used to make a system image backup? Is a usb flash drive the same as a usb jump drive? Thanks.

:)

jwindows10, Dec 24, 2016
  2. Aqual1fe Win User

Creating Windows 10 System Image

Is it required to format the USB Flash Drive before using to create the system image? I have a SanDisk Cruzer Dial 32GM flash drive.

Also, can a make a system image on both the flash drive and also a CD or am I limited to making only one system image??

Sorry for such a basic questions, but I end up with so much info from the forums and things that don't seem to work for people that I need some assurance.

Thanks!

Aqual1fe, Dec 24, 2016
  3. SayWhat Win User
    How to create Windows 10 system image on a usb flash drive

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately it wasn't the question I asked.

I know how to make a system image. My question was, is it the true that a system image cannot be made to a usb flash drive?

Presently 23GB of my C drive is being used, before I purchase a 64GB usb flash drive I would like to be sure that I will be able to create a system image on the flash drive.

SayWhat, Dec 24, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

can use usb flash drive to make system image backup?

Thumb/Flash/Jump drives are all the same. As long as the flash drive is as large or larger than the data on the HDD to be copied.

Your only issue will be file format....as 7/8/8.1 are NTFS with a MBR. Windows 10 on the other hand is NTFS with a GPT file format. I don't know for sure if that will work on flash drive.

Plankton, Dec 24, 2016
  5. Phone Man Win User
    I use Macrium Reflex to make images of my main C: drive which has 94GB of use. When Macrium makes an image it compress it into a file that is 56GB. The format of my USB flash drive is fat32 and it does not matter as you are just storing a file on it. Macrium has a procedure to make a bootable restore USB flash drive which is used to boot the system and runs Macrium from it. It then can read the image file and restore it.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Dec 24, 2016
  6. I sometimes use paragon backup and restore 2014 free edition. It will also back up into its own format with optional compression and password protection. It is not very fast. Windows makes faster images that paragon.

asusx205ta, Dec 24, 2016
  7. Plankton Win User
    Thanks Jim....good to know.

Plankton, Dec 24, 2016
  8. can use usb flash drive to make system image backup?

Thanks. Happy Holidays.

jwindows10, Dec 25, 2016
  9. Hi. What is MBR? For Windows 10 System Image backup, do I have to format flash drive in NTFS? Anything I have to do with regards to GPT file format before making backup? Thanks. Happy Holidays.

jwindows10, Dec 25, 2016
  10. Thanks. Happy Holidays.

jwindows10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

can use usb flash drive to make system image backup?

1. can use usb flash drive to make system image backup? - Similar Threads - usb flash drive

2. Can I still access my files using Windows Image Backup due to not making a System Image...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I still access my files using Windows Image Backup due to not making a System Image...: I'm trying to recover an older version of my PC to locate some missing files. The problem is, I backed up my PC using Windows Image Backup WIB, but I didn't create a System Image. I was using Windows 11, and i reinstalled windows. When I go on Disk Management, the drive is...
  3. USB flash drive is not a valid backup location for the system image

USB flash drive is not a valid backup location for the system image: Hello.. I have a usb stick of san disk capacity 204GB. Although it has plenty of space, it does not allow me to create a system image. It sends me the message in the title. on the contrary, another usb stick of my sandiskextreme 3.1 256 GB appears as valid.Can i do something...
  4. usb flash drive "is not a valid backup location "

usb flash drive "is not a valid backup location ": trying to create sys image for new win10, attempt to write to a 64 gb ntfs formatted flash drive formatted with diskpart and rufus, same error "not a valid backup location this seems to be an ongoing problem based on all the comments. what is the resolution? does MS...
  5. System Image Backup Drives

System Image Backup Drives: I purchased a Toshiba 2TB external hard drive-I made a system image from that. I decided something did not feel right about the drive, the drive was an awkward looking size. I deleted the system image and returned it. I had almost 6 hours of back up on this drive and it...
  6. any use us todo backup and restore to make system image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    any use us todo backup and restore to make system image: anybody use us todo back up and restore for system imaging 142371
  7. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...
  8. Backup and make image

Backup and make image: Hopefully my annotated screenshot explains my two questions clearly: [img] Terry, East Grinstead, UK 92539
  9. System image or recovery flash drive?

System image or recovery flash drive?: Of the above which is the better solution to backup or do I need both? Also, I have a desktop and a laptop both running Windows 10 fall creator version. I have created a recovery flash drive with system files included for the desktop. Will that one also work for the laptop?...
  10. Make USB Flash Drive

Make USB Flash Drive: I was going to make a USB Flash Drive to install windows 10 as described in tutorial by Brink. But I find that ISO has been removed?? Can I still make Flash Drive / How?: 8461