Windows 10: Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?

Discus and support Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a 16 GB RAM machine, and a couple of weeks ago, I bought the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. It has been known so far to utilize up to 24GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JOSHSKORN, Sep 5, 2020.

1. JOSHSKORN Win User

Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?

I have a 16 GB RAM machine, and a couple of weeks ago, I bought the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. It has been known so far to utilize up to 24GB of available RAM in PCs that have that much RAM installed.

Is it possible to double, triple, or even quadruple my RAM using Virtual Memory? I actually just tried doing it and I couldn't get it to work, I figure it was due to my lack of knowledge about the process, as I did not see any extra RAM on my Afterburner relay. I would be using my M.2 NVMe hard drive to allocate RAM, not my HDD.

If someone can please explain how it works, to me or show me an article online about it that tells me, much appreciated. Thanks!

:)

JOSHSKORN, Sep 5, 2020

2. Virtual memory for games

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

If I would be at your place I will choose D drive for my virtual memory. As C drive contains the Operating system files so it would be better not to play with that partition.

Virtual memory combines your computer’s RAM with temporary space on your hard disk. When RAM runs low, virtual memory moves data from RAM to a space called a paging file. Moving data to and from the paging file frees up RAM so your computer can complete
    its work.

The more RAM your computer has, the faster your programs will generally run. If a lack of RAM is slowing your computer, you might be tempted to increase virtual memory to compensate. However, your computer can read data from RAM much more quickly than from
    a hard disk, so adding RAM is a better solution.

You may refer to the article mentioned below and see if it helps you in anyways.

Change virtual memory settings

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any more concern related to Windows. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Sep 5, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Virtual Memory

Hi Lê

Nowadays, virtual memory is not as important as it used to be . . .

Years ago PC's had limited RAM and when the RAM was exceeded hard drive space was used to substitute fr the lack of RAM

PC's nowadays have plenty of RAM and it is rare for Windows and the applications you use to exceed the amount of RAM you have installed on your system

Virtual memory is much slower than RAM, because the access speed on your hard drive is much slower than the RAM access speed, so there is no real advantage to using virtual memory, if you find your system regularly exceeds your System RAM upgrading the amount
    of RAM on your PC would be a much better option . . .

DaveM121, Sep 5, 2020
  4. Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?

Virtual memory for games

Greetings,

I've got 4 gigs of ram on my laptop and I want more virtual memory for my games.

I got 2 partitions:

C for windows and software

D is for video games and some other stuff

For which drive do I set the virtual memory ? (C or D)

How much initial size and how much for maximum size ?

Running win10 home x64

AdrianBadea, Sep 5, 2020
Thema:

Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?

1. Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming? - Similar Threads - Virtual Memory used

2. My virtual ram is not being used!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My virtual ram is not being used!: I am sorry about the links but it would not let me insert imagesI have added 15000MB of virtual memory as minimumshown belowhttps://sparkles3421.github.io/windows/my_virt_ram.pngYou can also see that is indeed says I have 8.3GB but still uses my normal...
  3. My virtual ram is not being used!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My virtual ram is not being used!: I am sorry about the links but it would not let me insert imagesI have added 15000MB of virtual memory as minimumshown belowhttps://sparkles3421.github.io/windows/my_virt_ram.pngYou can also see that is indeed says I have 8.3GB but still uses my normal...
  4. My virtual ram is not being used!

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC: Hi, I'm Sakib from Bangladesh. I'm using Windows 10 for years. I'm spotting a thing, Windows is automatically generating 11.8GB of virtual memory on my pc with 6GB of physical memory. And it looks like it is slowed my pc down a little. It even takes a minimum of 5 seconds to...
  6. Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC: Hi, I'm Sakib from Bangladesh. I'm using Windows 10 for years. I'm spotting a thing, Windows is automatically generating 11.8GB of virtual memory on my pc with 6GB of physical memory. And it looks like it is slowed my pc down a little. It even takes a minimum of 5 seconds to...
  7. Out of Memory - Programs using Virtual Memory but not that much on RAM...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Out of Memory - Programs using Virtual Memory but not that much on RAM...: Recently (less than two weeks ago - suspiciously after the update to Windows 2004), my 16gb Windows 10 machine is throwing "Out of Memory" errors, specially in games - even if they are something like a 2D platformer: after a while I get the events 2004 and 26 (both regarding...
  8. Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?: I have a 16 GB RAM machine, and a couple of weeks ago, I bought the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. It has been known so far to utilize up to 24GB of available RAM in PCs that have that much RAM installed. Is it possible to double, triple, or even quadruple my RAM using...
  9. Add virtual ram to memory

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add virtual ram to memory: Hi, On my desktop I have a 16 Gb pagefile and 16Gb of ram which gives 32 Gb of memory. On my laptop I have tried to change the pagefile size to 18 Gb to get 24 Gb of memory with my 6 Gb ram. My pagefile is 18 Gb as showned in explorer C directory but my ram is still only 6...
  10. Virtual memory fix for 8gb ram

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Virtual memory fix for 8gb ram: I m using acer aspire 5 8 gb varient what is the best paging file size for pubg emulator..... Plz help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-memory-fix-for-8gb-ram/68fb864a-6eaa-49bb-8517-4875c9f369ce