Windows 10: Can we install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition

Discus and support Can we install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can we install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Aakash Dubey, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Can we install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition

Can we install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition

:)

Aakash Dubey, Jan 3, 2020

2. Install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition

Hi Krishna,

Really appreciate your advice! But, unfortunately, neither of your suggestions re shutdown worked for me.

In answer to your questions:

• What is the make and model of the computer? - Lenovo B570
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you have already performed? - all that I can find on the internet, eg stopping quick resume, powercfg, etc etc etc
    • What exactly happens when you try to shut down the laptop? - the power button light stays on, and the fan speed increases
    • How exactly are you trying to install Windows 7? - keep Windows 10, reinstall Windows 7 in a new partition for dual boot.

Note: I only have 1 hard disk in my laptop.

Thank you and any other expert will is willing to help out!

forumnovice, Jan 3, 2020
  3. Install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition

Dear Windows 10 Experts,

I was forced to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop.

I like Windows 10 but it will not completely shut down my laptop, even though I have tried everything I can find on the Internet.

In addition, I have some 7 stuff that I must run in Windows 7, especially since Windows 10 does not support Easy Transfer. So I want to keep Windows 10 and install a Windows 7 dual boot.

I created an empty partition and formatted it. But when I try to install Windows 7, I get the error message that it cannot be installed on the partition because it is of GPT style.

I do NOT want to lose my Windows 10 installation/partition. How can I easily install Windows 7 from my installation DVD?

Thank you very much!

forumnovice, Jan 3, 2020
  4. Can we install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

Background

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a boot sector technology poised to replace the venerable Master Boot Record (MBR) principally because MBR has a maximum capacity of 2 TB for a single partition (some single disks have reached 3 TB). Installing Windows on a GPT is a bit tricky because Windows wants to default back to MBR. In order to force Windows on to a GPT, we have to pre-format the drive prior to Windows installation. You can do that during Windows setup using the console.

Requirements

• Windows Vista or 7 (must be 64-bit no matter which OS is used)
    • A motherboard with EFI BIOS
    • A means to EFI boot the Windows setup (I had to use a USB DVD drive on MSI Z77A-G65, the internal SATA Bluray drives didn't have an EFI option)
    Instructions

• Boot into Windows setup using EFI. On the MSI Z77A-G65, it showed up as UEFI:USB-ATAPI DVD ... This will change according to your motherboard and how you are attempting to enter setup. This step is critical. Without booting into setup via EFI, only MBR is available to the setup. There's no easy way to tell from within setup if it is running via EFI or not.
    • Once you have booted into setup, continue through the process as you would normally until you reach the dialog which shows you the available drives. Load a driver, if necessary, then press SHIFT+F10 to open the command prompt.
    • In the command prompt, enter the following lines, pressing enter after each one. Note that the <id> field below is the disk ID that you want to format as GPT from the "list disk" command. If there's only one drive, <id> will likely be 1. Note: All data on the drive will be lost during this process. Make sure to select the correct drive.
      • diskpart
      • list disk
      • select disk <id>
      • online disk
      • attributes disk clear readonly
      • clean
      • convert gpt
      • create partition efi size=102
      • create partition msr size=32
      • create partition primary
      • format fs=ntfs label="Operating System"
      • assign letter=C
      • exit
      "online disk" and "attributes disk clear readonly" are likely to fail. Don't worry, they are only precautionary. Change the drive letter and label to whatever you want. Also, the above command (specifically "create partition primary") will consume all remaining space on the drive. If you want multiple partitions with fixed sizes, substitute what you want in place of "create partition primary."
    • You may now close the command prompt and click on "Refresh" back in the dialog to choose where to install Windows. You should now see at least 2 partitions (I think Microsoft Reserved is hidden) and it will only let you install on a non EFI/MSR partition. Click on the primary partition and proceed with the installation as normal.
    • Note that in the EFI BIOS after installing Windows via EFI, you can no longer directly boot the volume Windows is installed on. Instead, you must boot via "Windows Boot Manager" (on MSI Z77A-G65, it was "UEFI: Windows Boot Manager"). Keep that in mind if you wish to tweak the boot order.
    Conclusion

That should do it. You should be in Windows with >2 TB of hard drive capacity available if you had more than 2 TB on the Windows partition. Congratulations being on the bleeding edge of technology! *Rockout :rockout:

FordGT90Concept, Jan 3, 2020
Thema:

Can we install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition

1. Can we install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition - Similar Threads - install dual boot

2. Can you dual boot windows 10 x64 and windows 7 x64 on gpt style partition and using uefi in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you dual boot windows 10 x64 and windows 7 x64 on gpt style partition and using uefi in...: i have a dell inspiron 5570 with 12gb ram 1tb hddIntelR CoreTM i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHzwindows 10 preinstalledCan you dual boot windows 10 x64 and windows 7 x64 on gpt style partition and using uefi?!everything goes well until the part of the installation of windows 7...
  3. Can you dual boot windows 10 x64 and windows 7 x64 on gpt style partition and using uefi in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you dual boot windows 10 x64 and windows 7 x64 on gpt style partition and using uefi in...: i have a dell inspiron 5570 with 12gb ram 1tb hddIntelR CoreTM i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHzwindows 10 preinstalledCan you dual boot windows 10 x64 and windows 7 x64 on gpt style partition and using uefi?!everything goes well until the part of the installation of windows 7...
  4. GPT Partition Scheme for Dual-/Multi-boot Windows 10-setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT Partition Scheme for Dual-/Multi-boot Windows 10-setup: Hello,I have a laptop with 2x M.2 SSD-drives 500GB and 2TB, which I want to separate into three separate instances of Windows 10-installations as per:Disk 0 2 TBWindows 10 general purpose - 1 TBWindows 10 hobby purpose - 500 GB500 GB shared storageDisk 1 500 GBWindows 10 work...
  5. Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition

Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition: I've a Lenovo IdeaPad 110 Laptop which is currently running windows 10 on MBR partition. I want to do a clean install to change the partition type to GPT (My lap supports UEFI). How do i do that ?...
  6. Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.: I recently installed Windows 7 alongside Windows 10 for better support for older games, however Windows 10 will now no longer boot, it simply goes to a black screen with a circle of spinning dots with occasional disk activity. I have left it like this for at least 3 hours...
  7. Can i install 7 on another partition and have dual boot ?

Can i install 7 on another partition and have dual boot ?: I am thinking of having dual boot to 7 and 10, i have 10 now can i install 7 on another partition and have dual boot ? 68579
  8. Unable to install windows 10 (dual boot) in win 7 laptop.

Unable to install windows 10 (dual boot) in win 7 laptop.: I have installed windows 7 64 bit now i want to install windows 10 in another hard disk partition because i want dual boot so i can use both win7 and win10. The problem is, when i try to install win 10 i cant select any drive to install and the error is like "The selected...
  9. Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.: Now that we have the ability to clean install 10 onto a pre-existing 7 machine, and then activate using the pre-existing 7 key... 1. Created a 200GB partition for 10. 2. Booted from USB 10 installer (created today, so latest version). 3. Installed 10 into said 200GB...
  10. Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10

Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10: Hi All, I already have Windows 10 Home x64 on my notebook. I had upgraded from Windows 8.1. I have never had Windows 7 on this system. I want to dual boot install Windows 7 on a partition so that I can play some games that are not compatible with Windows 10. *Sad I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 7 dual boot 2020