Windows 10: Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT

Discus and support Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I read an article that this file is actually a older version of window 10 than I'm currently using. My first question is why doesn't my C: drive show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jim Guth, Oct 9, 2019 at 6:02 PM.

1. Jim Guth Win User

Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT

I read an article that this file is actually a older version of window 10 than I'm currently using.

My first question is why doesn't my C: drive show the size of any folder? Can we see theirs size some how?

There is also a file folder called PerfLogs on my C: drive. I assume this is some type of log that can be opened in Win 10. How can we look at it's contents?

Lastly can we safely delete all or part of both these folders.

Thanks

:)

2. Tintai Win User

I deleted $Windows~.BT folder that was propably Windows 10 files. How to recover?

Hello,

So about two weeks ago I deleted a $Windows~.BT folder (through the cmd). Now I know that was Windows 10 files ready for install.

How can I download it again? I'm sure I need to reinstall some update. But which?

Tintai

3. DaveM121 Win User
    Safe to Delete this Folder?

HiJames

Yes that folder is safe to delete, it is left over form a Windows 10 Upgrade and not required by your system

The 3 common folders you may find after a Windows Upgrade are listed below and they can always be deleted safely after the upgrade completes:

$GetCurrent

$WINDOWS.~BT

$Windows.~WS

4. DaveM121 Win User

What is the $WINDOWS.`BT folder? Is it safe to delete?

Hi Lam

Open the Settings App (gear icon on your Start Menu)

Go to Update and Security - Windows Updates

What update(s) are showing as pending on your system?

if you are seeing a Feature Update like version 1809 or 1903 in that list, then most likely the files being downloaded fro that update are in the $WINDOWS.`BT folder

Otherwise, you can safely delete that folder, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below, then after that, if that folder still exists, try deleting it manually . .

Before proceeding, if you have any files in your Downloads folder that you need to keep, move those to another folder for long term storage . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Thema:

1. Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT - Similar Threads - safely delete folder

2. What is the $WINDOWS.`BT folder? Is it safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the $WINDOWS.`BT folder? Is it safe to delete?: In my C: drive, there is a folder that's called $WINDOWS.`BT. I don't really know what it is. From the looks of it, it's doesn't have anything important. Is it safe to delete it? Or is it important?...
  3. Is it safe to delete these folders?

Is it safe to delete these folders?: Greetings, Chrome 74 now says "Your browser is managed by your organization". I'm not part of an organization. I've been searching for a solution, but most people suggest using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc). However, I have the Home edition of Windows, which doesn't...
  4. Safe to delete these folders ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe to delete these folders ?: Hi guys After manual update to May update everything work find but there are two folders one is windows.old size is 28 GB and Windows10Upgrade size is 20 Mb so is it safe to delete these two folders ? also please tell me how to rund an app inside the sand box I dont see it...
  5. Safe to Delete this Folder?

Safe to Delete this Folder?: Is $GetCurrent folder safe to delete? James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safe-to-delete-this-folder/f70da8e8-9232-4918-8f85-b3b32e2b70e1"
  6. Is it safe to delete these folders?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is it safe to delete these folders?: Hi Folks I have Windows 10 64bit and use a 2 Tb main drive which I self installed. It had all the files from a previous drive which was 1 Tb such as Windows 10, drivers, Photoshop etc etc. I have a third drive which is 500mb and used to be my main drive. All these drives have...
  7. Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?: Hi, On my C root disk I have lots of strange hidden folders. Can they safely be deleted? They do not contain anything except a .log file in the $SysReset folder [img] 46920
  8. windows bt folder

in Windows 10 Support
    windows bt folder: I've just noticed this; a $WINDOWS.~BT folder has showed up in my local disk (C drive). It's dated 9/11/2017. I've never seen one in there before....so why is it in there now? 94083
  9. How to delete $Windows.~BT folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete $Windows.~BT folder: I have spent a lot of time trying to reinstall Windows 10 on my three year old Dell Inspiron desktop, but cannot do so. I'm no techie, but it seems to me that it is a $Windows.~BT folder that is preventing me from doing so. From what I have read, Windows should have done so...
  10. Delete Windows~BT folder before upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Windows~BT folder before upgrade: Hi, I have downloaded the Windows 10 Pro ISO using Media Creation Tool and I wanted to know if it is safe to delete the Windows~BT folder before doing the upgrade. Will it cause some mess with the upgrade process if I delete it or just to leave it intact? Thanks,...