Windows 10: Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT

Discus and support Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I read an article that this file is actually a older version of window 10 than I'm currently using. My first question is why doesn't my C: drive show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jim Guth, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Jim Guth Win User

Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT

I read an article that this file is actually a older version of window 10 than I'm currently using.

My first question is why doesn't my C: drive show the size of any folder? Can we see theirs size some how?

There is also a file folder called PerfLogs on my C: drive. I assume this is some type of log that can be opened in Win 10. How can we look at it's contents?

Lastly can we safely delete all or part of both these folders.

Thanks

:)

Jim Guth, Oct 9, 2019
  2. Tintai Win User

I deleted $Windows~.BT folder that was propably Windows 10 files. How to recover?

Hello,

So about two weeks ago I deleted a $Windows~.BT folder (through the cmd). Now I know that was Windows 10 files ready for install.

How can I download it again? I'm sure I need to reinstall some update. But which?

Tintai

Tintai, Oct 9, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Safe to Delete this Folder?

HiJames

Yes that folder is safe to delete, it is left over form a Windows 10 Upgrade and not required by your system

The 3 common folders you may find after a Windows Upgrade are listed below and they can always be deleted safely after the upgrade completes:

$GetCurrent

$WINDOWS.~BT

$Windows.~WS

DaveM121, Oct 9, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

What is the $WINDOWS.`BT folder? Is it safe to delete?

Hi Lam

Open the Settings App (gear icon on your Start Menu)

Go to Update and Security - Windows Updates

What update(s) are showing as pending on your system?

if you are seeing a Feature Update like version 1809 or 1903 in that list, then most likely the files being downloaded fro that update are in the $WINDOWS.`BT folder

Otherwise, you can safely delete that folder, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below, then after that, if that folder still exists, try deleting it manually . .

Before proceeding, if you have any files in your Downloads folder that you need to keep, move those to another folder for long term storage . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT - Similar Threads - safely delete folder

2. Can I safely delete folders in the root?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I safely delete folders in the root?: I recently got a disk space shortage notification. So I checked the disk usage and found there three folders took very large space:~30 GB for AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OfficeFileCache5\0\0\~20 GB for C:\Symbols\ and C:\symcache -> there two folders seem related...
  3. Can I safely delete folders in the root?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I safely delete folders in the root?: I recently got a disk space shortage notification. So I checked the disk usage and found there three folders took very large space:~30 GB for AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OfficeFileCache5\0\0\~20 GB for C:\Symbols\ and C:\symcache -> there two folders seem related...
  4. Can I safely delete folders in the root?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is it safe to delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete this folder?: I have a Google folder in my C:\Users\[myname]\AppData\Local folder. I briefly had Chrome installed when I first got my current laptop, but then uninstalled it and I'm not sure if this folder is just a leftover product of that. Is it at all safe to delete to delete this...
  6. how to delete Windows BT folder ??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to delete Windows BT folder ??: I am trying to do a fresh windows install via Refresh Tool and cant because it says couldn't start please try after pc reboot.After quite a bit of google-ing i found out that i need to delete the Windows BT Folder, but i can't even in safe mode because it says that i need...
  7. What is the $WINDOWS.`BT folder? Is it safe to delete?

What is the $WINDOWS.`BT folder? Is it safe to delete?: In my C: drive, there is a folder that's called $WINDOWS.`BT. I don't really know what it is. From the looks of it, it's doesn't have anything important. Is it safe to delete it? Or is it important?...
  8. Is it safe to delete these folders?

Is it safe to delete these folders?: Greetings, Chrome 74 now says "Your browser is managed by your organization". I'm not part of an organization. I've been searching for a solution, but most people suggest using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc). However, I have the Home edition of Windows, which doesn't...
  9. How to delete $Windows.~BT folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete $Windows.~BT folder: I have spent a lot of time trying to reinstall Windows 10 on my three year old Dell Inspiron desktop, but cannot do so. I'm no techie, but it seems to me that it is a $Windows.~BT folder that is preventing me from doing so. From what I have read, Windows should have done so...
  10. Delete Windows~BT folder before upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Windows~BT folder before upgrade: Hi, I have downloaded the Windows 10 Pro ISO using Media Creation Tool and I wanted to know if it is safe to delete the Windows~BT folder before doing the upgrade. Will it cause some mess with the upgrade process if I delete it or just to leave it intact? Thanks,...