Windows 10: Can Wiin10 have a path and file name longer than 256 characters?

Discus and support Can Wiin10 have a path and file name longer than 256 characters? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was under the impression that this was a feature that was added to one of the updates on Windows 10. Enable long file name support in Windows 10 |... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bofhlusr, Nov 4, 2018.

1. bofhlusr Win User

Can Wiin10 have a path and file name longer than 256 characters?

I was under the impression that this was a feature that was added to one of the updates on Windows 10.

Enable long file name support in Windows 10 | IT Pro

How come I'm still gettng an error when copying a file deep down a directory path to another drive?

eg. copy c:\users ...256+ characters...\fName d:\

I'm using WIndows 10, Home, 64-bit (and yes I did the registry fix suggested in the link above)

:)

bofhlusr, Nov 4, 2018

2. Windows long file name or path name has failed in the new windows

I have a windows 10 on my older computer and it has a group policy program that allowed me to set up windows 10 to allow for long file names/path names and I have no issues because the limit is no longer there. I bought a new PC with windows 10 and the group
    policy and registry modification no longer is there (group policy app) and no longer allows for long file names/path names which is not acceptable. My work needs to have directories/folders several layers deep and windows no long has the fix to change your
    windows system and explorer to allow for this to happen. There is no solution posted yet that solves this issue. There are lots of complaints about it though. I can delete files/folders ok by changing where the files are located but that is not the solution
    needed by myself or many others. We need to be able to allow for long file names/path names! My old PC with window 10 (newer installs make a mess out of it and had to take them off as they are not good upgrades. Group Policy app in later upgrades of the windows
    10 series which made it easy to allow for long file/path names no longer is on windows 10.

$1300 for a pc with windows now is a bad investment - I hate mac but windows continues to fail as to being my favorite system.

My and many others need is how can we modify the registry or get the group policy to do it to allow for long file/path names and not be restricted to the very small limits. If anyone has an answer on how to do this, then It would make life easier. Work around
    answers for copying files closer to the root part of the drive are not valid answers. I found this article but have not used it as too many other suggestions have been posted and they wasted our time fixing this issue. Here is that articles summary which is
    what our needs are:

In the past the maximum supported file length was 260 characters (256 usable after the drive characters and termination character). In Windows 10 long file name support can be enabled which allows file names
    up to 32,767 characters (although you lose a few characters for mandatory characters that are part of the name). To enable this perform the following:

That article link is: https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/enable-long-file-name-support-windows-10

MichaelLowe1, Nov 4, 2018
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10?

Here are some articles that discuss support for paths longer than 256 char:

2016 08 12- WINDOWS 10 ALLOWS FILE PATHS LONGER THAN 260 CHARACTERS (WITH A REGISTRY HACK) / PATH 256 CHAR

https://lifehacker.com/windows-10-allows-file-n...

https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-wi...

https://superuser.com/questions/104220/is-there... - This article goes into the new theoretical limits

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

**************** "Disclaimer" **************

...........********************************...........

We are forced to include this Standard boilerplate legalistic bafflegab disclaimer for any links to non-Microsoft websites:

(Short form: use these links at your own risk, just like everything else from MS!)

The link(s) to non MS-page(s) appears to be providing accurate, safe information. I suggest you stick with the “manual” instructions. Unless I explicitly suggest it, avoid downloading their “utilities”. Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site
    before you decide to download and install it. Sometimes they include 3rd party programs, "unwanted" programs that are automatically installed during a standard install. So, if offered, do a "custom" install and carefully read each step. One of the steps MAY
    give you an option to install, or NOT, "additional" programs. 99.9% of the time you don't want to let them be installed. For example, when you install Adobe Player you are given the option of installing 2 additional "free trial" programs: Potentially Unwanted
    Programs: MacAfee Security Scan and MacAfee Safe Connect. The option to install is turned on, you have to manually turn it off. Those are PUP's. If you click "OK"/"Next" without paying attention you get the 2 "extra" programs.

As well, watch out for ads on the site. They may advertise products that include PUPs. Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

...........********************************...........

************* End BS Disclaimer ************

...........********************************............

Rohn007, Nov 4, 2018
  4. Can Wiin10 have a path and file name longer than 256 characters?

"file name too long"

Generally speaking there is a 256 character limit to the entire path file name. Usually "too long" errors result from deeply nested folders.

There is a work around but frankly it is more complicated than un-nesting the folders.

I would Google 256 character path limit workaround

Care to tell us more about the issue?

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 4, 2018
Thema:

Can Wiin10 have a path and file name longer than 256 characters?

1. Can Wiin10 have a path and file name longer than 256 characters? - Similar Threads - Wiin10 path file

2. STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?: STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023? It's a kind of Windows 3.0 problem and still exist! How to force Microsoft to fix it?...
  3. STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?: STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023? It's a kind of Windows 3.0 problem and still exist! How to force Microsoft to fix it?...
  4. STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  6. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  7. Can not create folder which contains more than 255 characters in path and name

Can not create folder which contains more than 255 characters in path and name: Hello,I am tring to google and find how to make, that my path name and file name can exceed 255 MAX characters. I found 2 solutions. With reg edit The registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled Type: REG_DWORD must...
  8. Windows 10 Max path of 256 characters.

Windows 10 Max path of 256 characters.: I have tried again today to lift this restriction on Windows, but to no avail. None of the two methods posted here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation seems to be working. neither the method through the gpedit tool. Is...
  9. Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters

Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters: Hi All, Do we have any solution for this issue? Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters. We are unable to open any files from the long shared path in Windows 10 and Windows 2012 server. We tried below options to resolve this problem but...
  10. Softwaredistribution.bak files pathnames are longer than 255 characters

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Softwaredistribution.bak files pathnames are longer than 255 characters: Hi, Windows updates seems to be creating file pathnames greater than 255 characters on my laptop running Windows 10 Home 64-bit . They are in the c:\windows\Softwaredistribution.bak\. . . folder . Some of the files' pathnames are coming in at 281 characters! Surely...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does windows 10 allow you to copy files longer than 256 characters

2. backup software with path name longer than 260