Windows 10: Can Windows 8.1 licenced with a KMS type licence be upgraded to Windows 10?

Discus and support Can Windows 8.1 licenced with a KMS type licence be upgraded to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, This is a somewhat ignorant question, but I hope that is not too much of a problem: Upgrading to Windows 10 worked fine in other devices... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by emrahveladžić, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Can Windows 8.1 licenced with a KMS type licence be upgraded to Windows 10?

Hello,

This is a somewhat ignorant question, but I hope that is not too much of a problem:

Upgrading to Windows 10 worked fine in other devices with the same licence type, years ago, when the whole "free upgrade" was pushed.

It is somewhat likely, though unconfirmed, that this device came with windows 10, but was downgraded to windows 8.1, which caused many functions to not work properly.

(Windows update happens to be one of them, and the device is now stuck in version KB3014442, a lot of performance issues are also present)

(It was also noted, that there were prior attempts to install Windows 7 onto the computer, which all failed)

I was planning to "use the current Windows key to activate a media installation of W10", but I ran into a issue

It currently has a KMS licence, as well as it being stuck on a old version of Windows 8.1. and, I, having learned from a bad past experience, have decided to consult this forum before doing anything:

1.) What is the chance that Windows accepts the KMS licence, and if not, what might be the concequences?

I mean, I will do an installation from a USB this time, so there might be some difference in the activation process.

2.) Will the update version present a problem when installing from a USB?

One time, a upgrade failed due to me trying to upgrade to W10 from a Windows 7 machine that has not been update since 2012. It failed, and took the licence off the PC, which then needed to get a clean installation of W7 as it could not be activated with the old key.

That upgrade went using the Windows Upgrade Assistant, not the USB, hence the question above.

3.) Any chance that I do not get prompted to activate Windows 10, due to the pc (possibly) having W10 at a prior point?

Additional notes:

-I obtained the device product key info with ProduKey, as well as using the "slgmr /dli" command;

-I am not very skilled in installing operating systems, and aditional help/info would certainly be appreciated;

-I do not have access to anyone capable of doing the installation for me;

Thanks in advance!

:)

emrahveladžić, Apr 27, 2019
  2. TRWOV Win User

Get a Windows 10 licence for free if you register on Windows Insider

If you want to upgrade from a Windows 8 license you must install W8, upgrade, get your W10 key and only after that you'll be able to do a clean install of W10.

As for the status of the licences... MS hasn't been straigforward about that... they're using weird wording saying that W10 will remain "activated as long as the hardware is supported" which doesn't actually answer anything.

Remember that for the W10 preview activation you need to install with a Microsoft Account that has been registered on the Windows Insider Program.

TRWOV, Apr 27, 2019
  3. silkstone Win User
    Get a Windows 10 licence for free if you register on Windows Insider

Yeah.

I installed the preview on 3 computers and I have 2xWin8 pro and 1xWin8 pro WMC licences already. I'm wondering if there will be a way to convert my Win 8 licences to Win 10 ones without having to install the full OS and go through the upgrade route.

I'm also hoping that my retail license will remain retail as I plan to upgrade a little after skylake is released.

silkstone, Apr 27, 2019
  4. Pehla Win User

Can Windows 8.1 licenced with a KMS type licence be upgraded to Windows 10?

windows 10 licencing and image backup??

i lost one genuine licence that i got for being a insider..,i added one more ssd to my pc and wanted to do a fresh install in raid 0 but that just didnt work as my pc didnt want to activate,even after talking to a microsoft help desk didnt find solution!! so afterwards i used cracked windows 8.1 and upgraded to windows 10 and that activation is still on my pc,and is still genuine *Smile Can Windows 8.1 licenced with a KMS type licence be upgraded to Windows 10? :)
    i wanted to keep that one but i gues its not just motherboard...,its motherboard AND cpu!!!

Pehla, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

Can Windows 8.1 licenced with a KMS type licence be upgraded to Windows 10?

1. Can Windows 8.1 licenced with a KMS type licence be upgraded to Windows 10? - Similar Threads - licenced KMS type

2. Deactivate kms key with licence key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deactivate kms key with licence key: How to deactivate kms key in window 10 and after that activate window 11 with licence key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deactivate-kms-key-with-licence-key/5dca87b5-e6d6-4264-8934-f0ef85cef084
  3. Deactivate kms key with licence key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deactivate kms key with licence key: How to deactivate kms key in window 10 and after that activate window 11 with licence key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deactivate-kms-key-with-licence-key/5dca87b5-e6d6-4264-8934-f0ef85cef084
  4. Windows 10 Licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Licence: I have removed windows 10 from my laptop completely which is a licensed version. Now I am currently using Linux. can I get the licensed version again on my Laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-licence/5f7719b8-d1e4-444a-97f4-0466d18b5faa
  5. Windows 10 Licence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Licence: We trade with refurbished computers , buy used / more then 1 year computers/ and sell them to other people. We are third party seller. Some of the computers are with Windows 8 key embedded in BIOS and can be retrieved automatically during the activation process in Windows...
  6. Windows 10 licence

Windows 10 licence: Hi My name is khalil, i live in Tunisia. I windows 10, it demands to be activated. But , sadly, I can't afford to pay a licence. I'm still a student , a phD researcher. I'm really in deed to a licence. I prefer to enjoy your OS legally. I'm asking your humble administration...
  7. Windows 10 licence

Windows 10 licence: I am getting an unused pc from a friend with Windows 10 installed with the licence linked to his account, is there any way to link the licence to my account as he no longer has a need for it as I have the machine no changes to hardware are made...
  8. windows 10 Licence

windows 10 Licence: Hi I have a licence key which is on a machine that has blown up. the key was retrieved from the hard disk as the case didn't have a sticker with product key. When trying to activate the key retrieved from the hard disk , Microsoft don't recognize it. any ideas ?...
  9. Upgrading Windows 10 Licence Issue

Upgrading Windows 10 Licence Issue: We have upgraded a few laptops from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro through the Microsoft store. We started the installation but after the reboot the laptops are showing as they are installed with a Windows 10 Enterprise license and are not activated. This has happened with...
  10. upgrading windows with digital licence

upgrading windows with digital licence: I recently got a new computer. I have a digital licence for windows 10 pro on my old computer. I want to use that licence on my new computer however I have windows 10 home installed (and not activated) on the new computer. So when trying to activate my digital licence on this...