Windows 10: Can Windows Abnormal Caps Lock Behavior be Disabled

Discus and support Can Windows Abnormal Caps Lock Behavior be Disabled in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For decades, this has been a wrench in the works for me and after exhaustive searching on the Internet, I have found no solution. As noted in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mdawson69, May 19, 2019.

1. mdawson69 Win User

Can Windows Abnormal Caps Lock Behavior be Disabled

For decades, this has been a wrench in the works for me and after exhaustive searching on the Internet, I have found no solution. As noted in Wikipedia,

Depending on the keyboard layout used, the Shift key, when pressed in combination with a Latin-based letter button while Caps Lock is already on, is either ignored, or nullifies the effect of Caps Lock, so that typed characters are in lowercase again. Microsoft Windows enforces the latter.

I have used a wide range of computers over the last four decades ranging from my introduction to computers with the TRS-80 Model I in middle school to numerous models in the Apple ][ family through my high school years. I was also fortunate enough to go to a high school that acquired the original Macintosh in 1984, and then my introduction to IBM PCs with MS-DOS in college. In my experience, of the computers I have used that were capable of producing lowercase letters—yes, there was a time when all caps was the norm on several systems—, only Windows has this errant behavior when the Caps Lock key is engaged; I do not recall if MS-DOS had this behavior.

I cannot fathom for what reason someone would want to use the Shift key type lowercase letters when Caps Lock is engaged (in the US). Therefore, I am inquiring as to if there is a way to make the Caps Lock key behave like the feature upon which is based (the shift lock on typewriters)?

:)

mdawson69, May 19, 2019

2. Disable Caps Lock on Windows 10?

The below does not disable CAPS LOCK; instead it converts CAPS LOCK into SHIFT LOCK.

• Right-click Start
    • Choose Control Panel.
    • Under Clock, Language and Region, choose
      Change input methods.
    • On the left, choose
      Advanced Settings.
    • Near the bottom, click on
      Change language bar hot keys (this is a blue link)
    • On the Advanced Key Settings tab, select Press the Shift key
      radio button.
    • Click OK, then Save
    After this change:

• You press the CAPS LOCK key puts the keyboard in all-caps mode
    • You press the SHIFT key to turn off CAPS LOCK and exit all-caps mode.
      • Note that pressing CAPS LOCK again
        will not turn off CAPS LOCK; only by pressing either SHIFT key will CAPS LOCK turn off.
    This is similar behavior to how the SHIFT LOCK key works on typewriters.

blackeneth, May 19, 2019
  3. relwood Win User
    Disable Cap Locks

I want to disable CAP LOCK in windows can somebody give me step by step instructions

relwood, May 19, 2019
  4. Matheu G Win User

How to disable Caps Lock Key in Windows 10?

AntonyJose,

Why would you suggest starting the on screen keyboard? As a Microsoft engineer, you should already be aware there is no option to disable the caps lock key. So what exactly is the real solution to disable the caps lock key in Windows 10, keeping in mind
    that previous solutions for earlier Windows OS does not work with Windows 10.

Matheu G, May 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Can Windows Abnormal Caps Lock Behavior be Disabled - Similar Threads - Abnormal Caps Lock

2. Disable cap locks in game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable cap locks in game: So I want to play games that use cap lock but the function picture thingy shows up and I don't want to remap it because its more convenient. If there's a way to disable it when playing games please let me know. I still want to use it but I don't want the pop up during games...
  3. Disable cap locks in game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable cap locks in game: So I want to play games that use cap lock but the function picture thingy shows up and I don't want to remap it because its more convenient. If there's a way to disable it when playing games please let me know. I still want to use it but I don't want the pop up during games...
  4. Disabling this caps lock option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling this caps lock option: I've been trying to follow the other tutorials and they've reached me to no result please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-this-caps-lock-option/4120cabd-355c-4079-828c-597aa1cf132a
  5. Disabling this caps lock option

Disabling this caps lock option: I've been trying to follow the other tutorials and they've reached me to no result please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-this-caps-lock-option/4120cabd-355c-4079-828c-597aa1cf132a
  6. Disabling this caps lock option

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Disable Caps Lock Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Caps Lock Windows 11: I want to disable caps lock. I found the page to disable caps locks for windows 7 and 10. Disable caps lock key - Microsoft Community I follow the steps but its has an error. "Cannot import C:\Users\jglan\OneDrive\desktop\disable_caps_lock.reg: The specified file is not a...
  8. Disable Caps Lock Windows 11

Disable Caps Lock Windows 11: I want to disable caps lock. I found the page to disable caps locks for windows 7 and 10. Disable caps lock key - Microsoft Community I follow the steps but its has an error. "Cannot import C:\Users\jglan\OneDrive\desktop\disable_caps_lock.reg: The specified file is not a...
  9. Caps Lock behavior setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Caps Lock behavior setting: Once ukpon a time, It was possible to make Caps Lock behave as on a typewriter, i.e. it was possible to set it in the way it could be turned off by pressing a shift key. I'm still using this settings, but since the corresponding dialog box was removed from Win10, I can no...
  10. Caps Lock Key: Disabling Of ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Caps Lock Key: Disabling Of ?: Hello, I seem to continually hit the Caps Lock key on the keyboard, and not noticing it. Drives me crazy. Is there any (safe) simple way to disable it, permanently ? I have Caps Lock Changer, but you have to do it for each session. Would like to do it just once,...