Windows 10: Can Windows access a different partition on the same drive?

Discus and support Can Windows access a different partition on the same drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Does Windows support accessing a second partition on the same drive where Windows is installed? Ie. if Windows is installed on a 150GB partition on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/eriqable, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Can Windows access a different partition on the same drive?

Does Windows support accessing a second partition on the same drive where Windows is installed? Ie. if Windows is installed on a 150GB partition on a 1TB SSD, can Windows access a second partition on the 1TB SSD?

submitted by /u/eriqable
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/eriqable, Dec 6, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 6, 2020
  3. FX-GMC Win User
    Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Dec 6, 2020
  4. Dia01 Win User

Can Windows access a different partition on the same drive?

Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Dec 6, 2020
Thema:

Can Windows access a different partition on the same drive?

1. Can Windows access a different partition on the same drive? - Similar Threads - access different partition

2. DIFFERENT WAYS TO ACCESS DIFFERENT WINDOWS MACHINES ON A SAME NETWORK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DIFFERENT WAYS TO ACCESS DIFFERENT WINDOWS MACHINES ON A SAME NETWORK: This article is published, because we have received numerous customer’s queries, complaints, and feedback, that they need an action plan to access different machines on a same network and effective ways to troubleshoot them. In this article, we discussed ways to setup a...
  3. DIFFERENT WAYS TO ACCESS DIFFERENT WINDOWS MACHINES ON A SAME NETWORK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DIFFERENT WAYS TO ACCESS DIFFERENT WINDOWS MACHINES ON A SAME NETWORK: This article is published, because we have received numerous customer’s queries, complaints, and feedback, that they need an action plan to access different machines on a same network and effective ways to troubleshoot them. In this article, we discussed ways to setup a...
  4. The access to same keyboard for different accounts for windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The access to same keyboard for different accounts for windows 10: I have a question regarding devices on windows 10 for example is it possible to block acces to a keyboard for one account and have it working on another on the same pc ? If there is can someone link a tutorial for it? thank you...
  5. Repairing Windows on Different Drive of Same PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Repairing Windows on Different Drive of Same PC: Hey there, Wonderful experience with windows today. So after trying to install an update on windows, my PC entered an endless boot cycle saying “Undoing changes...” as the rest of the screen was black. I was able to find an old hard drive lying around that happened to have...
  6. Two Partitions With Same Drive Letter on Same Disk; Explores shows differently, Disk...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Partitions With Same Drive Letter on Same Disk; Explores shows differently, Disk...: Here are the snippets of it! [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-partitions-with-same-drive-letter-on-same-disk/f97e5b00-bc14-47f2-b280-47aad31caa71
  7. Dual Boot on Same Drive, different partitions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot on Same Drive, different partitions: I have two partitions: -Partition One has Windows -Partition Two has a Linux Distro If i reinstall Windows on Partition One and opt to remove everything will it also include wiping Partition Two with the Linux Distro? submitted by /u/AlphaXexia [link] [comments]...
  8. Different backup on the same drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Different backup on the same drive: Hi. Recently I bought a new computer, and I want to have on it a clean install instead of just cloning my old disk. So, in order to keep backups of both my old and my new computer, I bought an external hard drive. So I want to ask, is it possible using the default “backup...
  9. Same partition but showing in different individual sizes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Same partition but showing in different individual sizes: I'm facing this issue from so long i left thinking about that because i worried about the data loss It is three partition but every partition is showing in some different sizes combined to form a single partition. i was going to dual boot then i saw it in the partition UI....
  10. Multiple EFI partitions on the same drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple EFI partitions on the same drive: I currently have one 100MB EFI partition and I use grub to boot Windows 10, Manjaro, and Arch. I'm going to be installing macOS which requires a 200MB EFI partition. I have read though, that Windows may have issues with there being more than one EFI partition on a given disk,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 access same drive through partition