Windows 10: Can Windows Defender detect external win32/kernel api calls?

Discus and support Can Windows Defender detect external win32/kernel api calls? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; There's a lot of win32/kernel based keyloggers on the internet. Can Windows Defender detect when a simple application calls key stroke related... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Arzenal, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Arzenal Win User

Can Windows Defender detect external win32/kernel api calls?

There's a lot of win32/kernel based keyloggers on the internet. Can Windows Defender detect when a simple application calls key stroke related win32/kernel functions?

:)

Arzenal, Jun 6, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft filling in divide between Win32 apps and new Windows APIs

Read more: Identity, Registration and Activation of Non-packaged Win32 Apps - Windows Developer Blog

Brink, Jun 6, 2020
  3. KevinNjau Win User
    Win32/Neshta.A virus detected

My Windows Defender is detecting the Win32/Neshta.A virus but can't deal with it effectively. What should I do?

KevinNjau, Jun 6, 2020
  4. Can Windows Defender detect external win32/kernel api calls?

"Attestation" A new feature coming to Windows Defender in Windows 10

Tech Republic - Upcoming Windows Defender feature will tell you when security fails
    This seems very promising. Microsoft is in the unique position to know what Windows should look like, even before Windows Update pushes out new changes. As long as MS can properly sync WD with WU changes AND this new features does not make any "noticeable" hit on system performance/resources, all without any false positives, this should be a big step forward for consumer security, and a blow to the bad guys - always a good thing.

Of course, there will likely be some hiccups the Windows/Microsoft/Windows Defender bashers will surely pounce on - regardless how extensive the Beta process is. But hopefully open and unbiased minds will prevail. After all, the goal is to stop the bad guys and if this gets us closer to that, that's a very good thing.

For more detailed information, see Introducing Windows Defender System Guard runtime attestation)

Bill_Bright, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

Can Windows Defender detect external win32/kernel api calls?

1. Can Windows Defender detect external win32/kernel api calls? - Similar Threads - Defender detect external

2. Windows Defender detected Win32/Floxif.H

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender detected Win32/Floxif.H: My windows defender detected a virus Win32/Floxif.H and I tried removing it through windows defender following a full scan + Offline scan. Also used several other softwares like rkiller. but now after restarting the windows defender is acting weird:...
  3. Windows Defender detected Win32/Floxif.H

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender detected Win32/Floxif.H: My windows defender detected a virus Win32/Floxif.H and I tried removing it through windows defender following a full scan + Offline scan. Also used several other softwares like rkiller. but now after restarting the windows defender is acting weird:...
  4. Virus Threat Protection: Block Win32 API calls from Office macro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virus Threat Protection: Block Win32 API calls from Office macro: Getting App or process blocked: powershell.exe Blocked by: Attack surface reduction Rule: Block Win32 API calls from Office Macro Affecting PowerShellLogs Looks like this is a known issue: https://twitter.com/search?q=Attack+surface+reduction just wanted to make sure...
  5. Windows Defender -VirTools Win32/ExcludeProc.D and Win32/ExcludeProc.A

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender -VirTools Win32/ExcludeProc.D and Win32/ExcludeProc.A: Hi, for the past few days I've been getting notifications about VirTool:Win32/ExcludeProc.D and VirTool:Win32/ExcludeProc.A. I tried to remove them in windows defender but when I restart my laptop I get notification again. I tried using Malwarebytes and Avast but they are not...
  6. unable to call external payment gateway api via dotnet code

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to call external payment gateway api via dotnet code: Hi AllPlease provide your inputs, suggestions. I have an application deployed in IIS and calling an external api service which is working via POSTMAN and as well as from browser. But when the same API is called via code and executed via IIS through front end application, it...
  7. unable to call external payment gateway api via dotnet code

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to call external payment gateway api via dotnet code: Hi AllPlease provide your inputs, suggestions. I have an application deployed in IIS and calling an external api service which is working via POSTMAN and as well as from browser. But when the same API is called via code and executed via IIS through front end application, it...
  8. unable to call external payment gateway api via dotnet code

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. [Win32 API] Resizing a borderless window?

in Windows 10 Customization
    [Win32 API] Resizing a borderless window?: I was trying to implement a borderless window that can be scaled by handling WM_NCHITTEST message. This works now, but whenever I put another window in front, this "borderless" window gets a thick white border. The window style includes WS_THICKFRAME, which is required to...
  10. Win32/MicTrayDebugger - very late detection by Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win32/MicTrayDebugger - very late detection by Defender: Before reading this please note that I regularly update Windows defender and do full sweeps about every 6 months but it does an automated sweep regularly as well. From Microsoft via Defender (NB Dates back to 2017 and it seems that this issue was known about April 2017):...