Windows 10: can windows firewall stop windows updates?

Discus and support can windows firewall stop windows updates? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; if so how to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-windows-firewall-stop-windows-updates/894e6e7a-4514-44c7-81de-e6437672dd50 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tinamarie, Oct 16, 2018.

1. tinamarie Win User

can windows firewall stop windows updates?

if so how to fix it ?

:)

tinamarie, Oct 16, 2018

2. windows firewall question

yes i am sure i am having no issues with a router. this is at my work. and i only have issues with the windows 7 firewall.

as for adding ports, i do it the same as what is listed in your picture.

THRiLL KiLL, Oct 16, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Oct 16, 2018
  4. can windows firewall stop windows updates?

Best free AV and firewall

Can Windows Firewall block outgoing connections yet? If not, it's one step above useless.

Look into Online Armor for a free firewall.

Deusxmachina, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

can windows firewall stop windows updates?

1. can windows firewall stop windows updates? - Similar Threads - firewall stop updates

2. Windows Defender Firewall stuck "Stopping" in services

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall stuck "Stopping" in services: This is causing a huge headache for me as I just upgraded to Windows 11 from Win 10 a week ago and I immediately noticed this issue with the Windows Firewall. I can't get it to restart or change any settings. When I click on it in Services, everything is greyed out and it...
  3. Windows Defender Firewall stuck "Stopping" in services

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Firewall stuck "Stopping" in services: This is causing a huge headache for me as I just upgraded to Windows 11 from Win 10 a week ago and I immediately noticed this issue with the Windows Firewall. I can't get it to restart or change any settings. When I click on it in Services, everything is greyed out and it...
  4. Windows 10 Firewall/Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Firewall/Update: I am having issues with the Firewall and the Windows Updates, when trying to look for any new updates i get hit with the error code 0x8007042c. I have already tried solving this by watching YouTube videos, and reading about it, but nothing seems to quite work. Typed in the...
  5. Windows 10 Firewall/Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Firewall/Update: I am having issues with the Firewall and the Windows Updates, when trying to look for any new updates i get hit with the error code 0x8007042c. I have already tried solving this by watching YouTube videos, and reading about it, but nothing seems to quite work. Typed in the...
  6. Can a Windows update be stopped as it's downloading

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can a Windows update be stopped as it's downloading: As Windows is downloading, can it be stopped. I'm not talking about stopping updates nor am I talking about updates after they're downloaded. I'm asking if it can be stopped for example, if it's 10% or 20% downloading. Please advise. Thanks!...
  7. windows firewall update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows firewall update: i want help from you, for the sake of i am using windows defender firewall and didnt update in my pc for therts please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-firewall-update/c12a5c1c-c948-43f3-aa94-75f2f13a7715
  8. windows firewall is blocking windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows firewall is blocking windows update: how to configure in windows firewall so windows update service can connect to internet? thx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-firewall-is-blocking-windows-update/063e1609-1552-4620-b8b2-79bab8f280dd
  9. WIndows Firewall rules for NOD32 Antivirus to can update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WIndows Firewall rules for NOD32 Antivirus to can update: Hi, Does anyone know please what rules should be created in Windows Firewall in order for NOD32 Antivirus to update, considering that all outbound trafic is blocked, and all the rules should be created manually. Thank you. 69549
  10. Windows Update and firewall

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Update and firewall: I run a very hardened system, I lock down all incoming connections and remove all outgoing but core networking on a new install. How can I get windows update to connect to the internet again? I've unblocked svchost.exe for the Windows Update service and still nothing. Any...