Windows 10: can Windows.iso destroy my USB stick?

Discus and support can Windows.iso destroy my USB stick? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since Windows.iso didn't fit on a DVD I just copied it to an USB stick. At the end of copying an error message appeared. After that I could read what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PiKo, Feb 8, 2017.

1. PiKo Win User

can Windows.iso destroy my USB stick?

Since Windows.iso didn't fit on a DVD I just copied it to an USB stick. At the end of copying an error message appeared. After that I could read what was on the stick, but my stick has become write protected. I did everything I could find on internet, including formatting and GParted (Linux) to no avail. A short moment I even saw that the drive was classified as "boot". But always access was denied. I have thrown the stick away in the bin.
    My question is: is it possible that my drive became corrupted just by copying Windows.iso to it or was my drive accidentally end-of-life?

:)

PiKo, Feb 8, 2017

2. How can I check integrity of my Windows installation file?

I have downloaded the Windows.iso file using the official Microsoft Windows downloader. How can I check its binary integrity? Where can I find SHA1 checksums of the official Windows ISO files?

My Internet search has failed to deliver an answer to this question.

Even my Windows.iso file SHA1 code is unrecognised by any search engine.

My Windows.iso file SHA1 code is: 0fda9cf223e3c0e674a16f8b82c474dfdfd1acea.

Moved from: Windows Insider Program / Windows Insider Preview / Windows Update / PC

JohnSobiesky, Feb 8, 2017
  3. TigerBJ Win User
    I accidentally deleted Windows 10 Store

Thanks for the response Jensen

Please note that I am not that 'Tech Savvy'.

I have the Windows.iso file on my desktop: What do I do with it? Can I drag and drop it into a separate folder on my PC, like documents? and then run setup.exe from there or does it have to be on a DVD or USB?

TigerBJ, Feb 8, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

I just copied the ISO file to a USB drive and all was fine. See if you can reformat the drive and ensure the write protect switch is not set on the USB drive if it has one. The easy method to create a bootable Windows USB drive is to use the Media Creation Tool.USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10

Steve C, Feb 8, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Feb 8, 2017
  6. PiKo Win User
    I indeed assume now that the USB stick was end-of-life. I threw it away already. It was pity that the newest Windows.iso did not fit (slightly larger) on a standard DVD. However, I had from the past a Windows.iso build 1511 on DVD, which I now used for a clean install. Now awaiting the AU.

PiKo, Feb 8, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    Dual layer DVD should fit windows installation. Most of modern readers/writers support it.

CountMike, Feb 8, 2017
  8. can Windows.iso destroy my USB stick?

RoadBlaster, Feb 8, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Feb 8, 2017
  10. I read on this site tell people to format memory sticks with fat32 the use rufus to create a USB w10 install, im sure rufus would instal this onto the mem stick but then people complain of the install not installing afterwards due to the iso breaching the format parameters.

So PiKo what format was your memory stick ?

RoadBlaster, Feb 8, 2017
  11. PiKo Win User
    NTFS; the file does not fit Fat32. exFat I did not try.

12. Fafhrd Win User
    Some (inferior?) USBs don't seem to like being reformatted to a different FS than FAT32.

Always use a good quality brand, and if they fail within an unreasonable period - get them replaced by the vendor. E.G. Sandisk:

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/about/lega...warranty-table

Fafhrd, Feb 8, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

There is a huge difference between copying the ISO file to the USB flash drive and creating a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive from the ISO file. You cannot compare apples to oranges.

When you create a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive from the ISO file, you want it to be FAT32 (and marked as active). If you are just going to copy the ISO file itself over then it has to be NTFS.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. can Windows.iso destroy my USB stick? - Similar Threads - iso destroy USB

2. windows 11 and my usb sticks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 and my usb sticks: up until about 4 days ago all my usb drives worked and still do in other devices now all the sudden i get no auto pla or anything other that an ! next to them in device manager ...which see's them...
  3. windows 11 and my usb sticks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 and my usb sticks: up until about 4 days ago all my usb drives worked and still do in other devices now all the sudden i get no auto pla or anything other that an ! next to them in device manager ...which see's them...
  4. How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick: I had a legacy bootiso file (i think Linux based) which i made uefi bootable on a flash drive using Rufus. Now i am looking for a way to save this uefi bootable flas drive as a (uefi) bootable iso for archiving or to use with other programs like ventoy. It is NOT a windows...
  5. How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick

in Windows 10 Support
    How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick: I had a legacy bootiso file (i think Linux based) which i made uefi bootable on a flash drive using Rufus. Now i am looking for a way to save this uefi bootable flas drive as a (uefi) bootable iso for archiving or to use with other programs like ventoy. It is NOT a windows...
  6. Can I still use my USB stick?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I still use my USB stick?: I have just turned my USB stick (128GB) into a recovery drive, can I still save my personal data on it? And it just got formatted to 32GB?! What happens to my 128GB? Kann ich meinen USB Stick noch benutzen?
  7. Simply copy ISO image file from USB stick?

Simply copy ISO image file from USB stick?: Hello, can I simply copy a finished Windows 10 ISO file to a USB stick and then boot with it, or do I need software beforehand that makes the USB stick bootable with the ISO file? ISO-Imagedatei einfach aus USB-Stick kopieren?
  8. usb stick

usb stick: When using the media creation tool and when you get to the part where you can choose 'create USB stick' or 'ISO file> (Rufus not shown)', is it the same either way or is one better than the other? I used the ISO file and then Rufus to create the bootable stick to install Win...
  9. Can I keep my data & app settings when upgrading from a USB stick ISO?

Can I keep my data & app settings when upgrading from a USB stick ISO?: My system install of build 10162 won't activate, as they pulled the validation from these builds. Unfortunately, I can't upgrade to 10240, which can, I was told by Windows support, be activated. This is because Windows isn't already activated!!! (Windows Update won't download...
  10. How to easily make an installation USB stick from an ISO

How to easily make an installation USB stick from an ISO: So you want to reinstall Windows 10, or maybe dual-boot with Linux? Then (especially with Linux) you are like "How to I make the ISO installable from?" Then you've come to the right place. Use this software called Rufus (rufus.akeo.ie). Its really fast and can use about any...