Windows 10: can Windows.old files be swapped?

Discus and support can Windows.old files be swapped? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I still have a Windows.old file from a previous upgrade from 1909 to 2004. I have renamed it so it can't be auto-deleted. I have also extended the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bob1212, May 4, 2021.

1. Bob1212 Win User

can Windows.old files be swapped?

I still have a Windows.old file from a previous upgrade from 1909 to 2004. I have renamed it so it can't be auto-deleted. I have also extended the expiry out to the max 60 days, so it is not expired yet anyway. But if I try a repair-install, then that procedure will create a now Windows.old, correct? If so, can I rename that to get it out of the way, then use the original Windows.old to revert to the previous major version? Or does Windows keep track of whatever Windows.old is produced, by means of a hash or whatever? Thanks.

:)

Bob1212, May 4, 2021
  2. Steve C Win User

A swap file question

Do you mean the swap file or page file? The swap file is generally small c. 16MB.

Steve C, May 5, 2021
  3. A swap file question

Hello
    from my research and past experience, I have been led to believe that
    1-the swop file should be 1.5 x RAM
    2-It should not be on multiple drives
    3-C drive swap file holds crash dump files, so not sure if that should have a swap file as well as another HDD

however now I see MS suggest a max of 3x RAM and another site suggested creating a separate partition just for the swap file, to this end I have created a swap file partition of 32 GB ( set min & max to 32GB to prevent fragmentation or does this matter in this instance ? )

I am certain from what I read that this has been discussed very often, but with conflicting info, would like a definitive answer, also can performance suffer if the swap file is too big ?

this is For a 64 BIT PC.....it’s getting a bit old now, was looking at how to improve performance, as the CPU often maxes at 100% when doing video conversions, during which time even slows down file copying .

reddwarf4ever, May 5, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. can Windows.old files be swapped? - Similar Threads - old files swapped

2. Swap SSDs Between Old and New PC?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swap SSDs Between Old and New PC?: I currently have a PC with Windows 10 on a 1 TB SSD. I’m about to receive a new PC which has only a 500 GB SSD. Both my current PC and the new PC I am about to receive are/will be running Windows 10 which is loaded on their respective SSDs. What I want to do is swap the SSDs....
  3. Can i swap my old window X Account from old laptop to new laptop

Can i swap my old window X Account from old laptop to new laptop: HI Sir, Good day. I bought a new laptop & this window dint have any activation code. Can i swap my old window X Account from old laptop user name : *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to new laptop use name : *** Email address is removed for privacy *** i...
  4. Desktop swapped with user file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop swapped with user file: Hello, This is really weird but my desktop used to be on my D: drive because why not. I wanted to change it back into my C: drive because i wanted all my windows files on C and everything else on D so when i moved the desktop file into the user folder it for some reason...
  5. A swap file question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A swap file question: Hello from my research and past experience, I have been led to believe that 1-the swop file should be 1.5 x RAM 2-It should not be on multiple drives 3-C drive swap file holds crash dump files, so not sure if that should have a swap file as well as another HDD however now I...
  6. swap windows pro old computer to windows home new computer

swap windows pro old computer to windows home new computer: I just got a new computer that has windows home … I want to upgrade it to windows pro which I had on my old computer ….. I don't want to pay for another windows upgrade. I have a digital licence. Thanks for any help Peter...
  7. Swap file, page file privacy.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Swap file, page file privacy.: Does swapfile.sys and pagefile.sys has any privacy issue ??? Does it store or replace any private file ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-file-page-file-privacy/5a50c044-6c67-401b-a400-c740b6dccc1f"
  8. can i delete "windows old files" ?

can i delete "windows old files" ?: i noticed my pc's memory is very depleted. i got rid of some programs i dont use...didnt help. so i ran disk cleanup and it found 28GB of junk, but after an hour, my patience soon ran out and didnt complete said scan. and even though the windows old files are over 8GB, i...
  9. change swap file size ?

change swap file size ?: I am running rainmeter and it shows my desktop has 48-49% ram usage and 49% swap file usage. I currently have 4 gigs of ram, room to put 4 gigs more for a max of 8 gigs. Isn't that too much swap file usage ? I have tried to find in the tutorials, and on my computer,...
  10. Page and Swap File?

Page and Swap File?: I've set the Page File for my C: drive to No Page File and my D: to System Managed. Doing this places the Page File on my D: drive, which is the faster of the 2 drives. [img] The question is, should I still have a Swap File on my C: drive and also one on my D:...