Windows 10: Can Windows (old) folder be deleted

Discus and support Can Windows (old) folder be deleted in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Can the "Windows (old)" folder be deleted safely? I only have a 128g ssd for my operating system, and 25gig is being taken up by a folder called... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by WolfCreek, Sep 15, 2015.

1. WolfCreek Win User

Can Windows (old) folder be deleted

Can the "Windows (old)" folder be deleted safely?

I only have a 128g ssd for my operating system, and 25gig is being taken up by a folder called Windows (old)

I would like to free up some space.

:)

WolfCreek, Sep 15, 2015

2. Error 0x80070091. Whenever I tried to remove Windows.old folder

Hello,

You can try this method to delete Windows.old folder:

[How To] Delete "Windows.old'' Folder In Windows 8.1

Hope this helps, Good luck Can Windows (old) folder be deleted :)

Kapil Arya MVP, Sep 15, 2015
  3. what should i do with windows old folder?

hi i have updated my wondows 10 and there is window.old folder i checked its size it is of 17GB. what should i do with that folder? can i deleted that folder? is there damage to windows 10 by deleting that windows old folder?

Modassar Sharif, Sep 15, 2015
  4. TrustMe Win User

The Windows old folder can be safely deleted but Microsoft gives you 30 days to change you mind and go back to Wn 7 or Win 8. If you delete it before the 30 days you can not go back. If you are sure you want to stay with Win 10 it is safe to delete. If you are not sure use Win 10 for a week or two and then make up your mind.

TrustMe, Sep 15, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Do not do it directly, but use Disk Cleanup run as administrator.

Cliff S, Sep 15, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    You can still go back to your old os without windows.old. You can also go back to your old os after 30 days. In both scenarios, you just do a clean install of your old os.

WhyMe, Sep 15, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 15, 2015
  8. TrustMe Win User

You can go back but all your settings and programs will be lost.

TrustMe, Sep 15, 2015
  9. PJLLB Win User
    Brink, I ran the process described in the tutorial. I still have two folders (with subfolders and files) remaining, and when I use the elevated command prompt process I get access denied. I took ownership of both folders and full control permissions, but when I try to delete some of them I get denied because the file is in use. For example, in the Windows.old>Program Files>en-US folder the wmpnetwk.exe.mui file (the only one in it) will not delete saying that the file is open by the Windows Media sharing process. The other folder under Program Files is Windows Defender with seven files in it. (I'm hesitant to mess with these because I'm nervous because of the Windows Defender folder and not wanting to mess anything up). There second of the two folders just under Windows.old is Windows with 1,470 files in it. Any advice?

PJLLB, Sep 15, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Anything in Windows.old is safe to delete if you don't want it.

You might see if you could delete it at boot using a command prompt at boot opened from installation media while it's not in use.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...a.html#option3

Brink, Sep 15, 2015
  11. TrustMe Win User
    I belong to another forum and got this procedure from there. It was posted by Zardoc
    I followed this and it worked great. Hope it helps.

Delete Windows.OLD Folder

Boot in system recovery options and run this command (command line: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -o -f -t 02 -c "Restart 2 seconds!!")
    Go to Click/tap on Advanced options.
    Command Prompt

diskpart
    list volume
    Check and make sure the drive letter of your windows 10 drive.
    exit
    RD /S /Q "C:\Windows.old"

(C= Win root)

TrustMe, Sep 15, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, that's what I posted above for OPTION THREE below. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...a.html#option3

Brink, Sep 15, 2015
  13. TrustMe Win User

Option three does not tell you to run that first command I posted. To be honest I don't know if it makes a difference but that is what worked for me. Just trying to help.

TrustMe, Sep 15, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The first command is to just restart the computer into advanced startup, and then open a command prompt at boot.

It's basically the same as the link in step 1 in Option Three, but the link provides different options for opening a command prompt at boot.

Brink, Sep 15, 2015
  15. PJLLB Win User
    Brink, the command prompt at boot allowed me to delete the file that was previously in use while in Windows proper. But other file deletions gave me "access denied" as I had not changed the file ownership and permissions on those files. And trying to change file permissions at the folder level for all sub-tier children isn't working. Ugh...I guess I'll just ignore the folder!

PJLLB, Sep 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Can Windows (old) folder be deleted - Similar Threads - old folder deleted

2. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  3. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  4. Windows 11 deleting Old windows folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 deleting Old windows folder: Hi, I have windows 11 installed and wanted to know if I were to delete the old windows folder for windows 10 will it affect my computer when I have to reset it or factory reset it....
  5. Windows 11 deleting Old windows folder

Windows 11 deleting Old windows folder: Hi, I have windows 11 installed and wanted to know if I were to delete the old windows folder for windows 10 will it affect my computer when I have to reset it or factory reset it....
  6. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  7. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  8. Deleting old windowsapps folder

9. Old Windows folder delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old Windows folder delete: I just installed win 10 . I have 2 more drives with Win7 OS( Windows folders) in them. I am trying to delete these folders in vain. I am logged in as administrator. Any ideas?...
  10. Cant delete windows old folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cant delete windows old folder: I have a 20GB file on my desktop called windows old. It won’tlet me delete manually. I have tried disc clean up, clean system files but thePrevious Windows installation(s) does not appear. The location is C:\Users\Newsmall laptop\Desktop. The file was created on 30 ‎October...