Windows 10: Can $Windows.~WS Be Safely Deleted?

Discus and support Can $Windows.~WS Be Safely Deleted? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does $Windows.~WS need to be left in place for anything, e.g. 'Reset this PC', or can it be safely deleted? Thanks. 9407 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nus, Jul 28, 2015.

1. NUS
    Nus Win User

Can $Windows.~WS Be Safely Deleted?

Does $Windows.~WS need to be left in place for anything, e.g. 'Reset this PC', or can it be safely deleted?

Thanks.

:)

2. Kyhi Win User

use > disk cleanup > clean system files

3. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Yeah, I did that and it left $Windows.~WS, hence, why I'm asking if it is needed for anything.

4. NUS
    Nus Win User

No takers? OK, I'm going to delete it for a laugh.

PS. This thread is the only Google search result for "$Windows.~WS", lol...

5. zirq Win User
    I just deleted it and restarted. Nothing's exploded yet.

6. costeakai Win User
    so did I...

costeakai, Jul 28, 2015
  7. Exsert Win User
    Well, i'm pretty sure it's just there incase your Windows messes up and you want to re-install it, but usually it's unnecessary!

I've deleted it myself (As i am trying my best to get my starting Used space as low as possible Currently got it down to 33GB used).
    What i did notice though was when i booted up instead of it popping up with boot options (Windows 10, Windows 10 setup) it just booted straight away which was a bonus because that was irritating me!

Exsert, Jul 28, 2015
  8. costeakai Win User

i'v deleted it, and all hell broke loose; now i'm trying to reinstall ...

costeakai, Jul 28, 2015
  9. costeakai Win User
    i'v managed to reinstall , firstly by re-downloading the media from windows, but it seemed to be slower than the first time, so i aborted it; then i discovered that by launching the appropiate exe, i can re-install without re-downloading; all is fine now , its even better ...i'm leaving $Windows.~WS alone for now ...

costeakai, Jul 28, 2015
  10. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Well, I've had no issues since deleting it. Done a number of reboots, changed account to local, etc.

It was created during the upgrade and just looked like it contained the Win 10 image.

11. JoeShades Win User
    what about windows old? that is 27 GB, but does not show up in disk clean up

JoeShades, Jul 29, 2015
  12. NUS
    Nus Win User
    That's your old Windows installation. You can delete it if you never want to revert back or need anything from it.

13. costeakai Win User

to me it looks like $Windows.~WS , besides the win10Image, also contains personalized xml files; i will double check it, and post my last impression about true/false: pc-personalized $Windows.~WS.

costeakai, Jul 29, 2015
  14. Boozad Win User
    Did you run Disk Cleanup as Administrator? It should show then.

Boozad, Jul 29, 2015
  15. Chris2005 Win User
    Yea, running the clean up even as an admin has kept the $Windows.~WS folder.

Chris2005, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Can $Windows.~WS Be Safely Deleted? - Similar Threads - $Windows ~WS Safely

2. Can I safely delete boot.wim?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I safely delete boot.wim?: I am trying to clean up my small SSD drive, and see a 4GB file called "boot.wim". Is it safe to just delete this file? Or is it important for windows to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-safely-delete-bootwim/d22322d2-384e-48e7-b33c-b46ae3866a0f
  3. Can I safely delete boot.wim?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I safely delete boot.wim?: I am trying to clean up my small SSD drive, and see a 4GB file called "boot.wim". Is it safe to just delete this file? Or is it important for windows to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-safely-delete-bootwim/d22322d2-384e-48e7-b33c-b46ae3866a0f
  4. Can I safely delete boot.wim?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Nocapturestate.etl can it be safely deleted?

Nocapturestate.etl can it be safely deleted?: While looking for large deletable file I’ve found Nocapturestate.etl in Windows Performance Toolkit gpuview. Its an 11gb file is it safe to remove it?...
  6. How to delete $WINDOWS. ~BT and $WINDOWS. ~WS

How to delete $WINDOWS. ~BT and $WINDOWS. ~WS: I'm having a hard time deleting these. Can you help me with it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-windows-bt-and-windows-ws/f8114f56-c673-427c-b203-04d69552d0ea"
  7. Can I safely delete install.wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I safely delete install.wim?: I'm cleaning out unnecessary files and folders and came across my C drive. Since I have created my own custom recovery partition, can I safely delete this install.wim that is currently setting in my C drive and using 9GB? 115022
  8. $Windows.~WS ? ? ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    $Windows.~WS ? ? ?: Does anybody know what the $Windows.~WS file is and can it be removed? It's not removed when you do "disc clean of system files". Any ideas *Cool 11272
  9. $Windows.~WS folder deleting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    $Windows.~WS folder deleting: hello I tried to download win10 twice with media tool but it reached ~75% and then its just gone without any error ... however this is not the problem I think the downloaded 75% are still stored on my C drive because i have a folder called $Windows.~WS its empty (there is...
  10. "$Windows.~WS" folder safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Support
    "$Windows.~WS" folder safe to delete?: Hi, so I know this folder is somehow related to windows update / windows 10 updates. I'd like to delete it, as it's taking up 5.76GB of space on the C drive. It appeared a few days after I installed Windows 10. Can I go ahead and axe it? Or is there something else I should...