Windows 10: Can $Windows.~WS Be Safely Deleted?

Discus and support Can $Windows.~WS Be Safely Deleted? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; $windows.~WS contains 2 images, one an ESD (installx86.esd or installx64.esd) in sources, and another is an install.wim in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nus, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Can $Windows.~WS Be Safely Deleted?

$windows.~WS contains 2 images, one an ESD (installx86.esd or installx64.esd) in sources, and another is an install.wim in $windows.~WS\sources\windows\sources.

If you have used the Media Creation tool, after taking a compressed snapshot of your system in sources\Panther during the mini-setup phase, it next downloads an ESD, then decrypts it to a windows setup filesystem (sources\windows\) identical to the files and folders that are found on the resultant windows.iso.

It also starts to make a minimal $Windows.~BT, containing sources\Panther in case an upgrade is continued immediately.

One odd thing is that the Install.wim file on the iso for the DVD is not a normal WIM file, it fails to apply the image with DISM and cannot be extracted or examined in 7-zip. It may just be an ESD with an extension change to fool inquisitive folk for the moment.

Now what I don't know is if the $windows.~WS also is created during the upgrade process for GA, because I haven't done that yet.

The tool then can create a DVD or USB setup drive.

Taking up about 6GB, It should be deleted if you have the Iso or USB setup drive. Clean up has not been told about this file extension yet. It will come in some later update.

Fafhrd, Jul 29, 2015
  2. werty Win User

I think that the $windows.~WS folder is created when running Media creation tool.

werty, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Indeed it is. The BT and the WS folders are the same thing, the feedstock for the Windows upgrade. If your copy of Win10 is activated, then you can run disk cleaner to get rid of the windows.old and the $windows --BT folders. The $windows---WS folder does NOT clean up by the disk cleaner. After a few reboots, I just deleted the folder after backing it up (just in case) and nothing has happened in the past day so looks OK to delete.

John Pombrio, Jul 29, 2015
  4. edmscan Win User

I deleted it .. from the command prompt (using troubleshooting / .. command prompt before bootup) .. it worked well and I have not experienced any problems at all.

edmscan, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Chris2005 Win User
    The @WindowsSupport Twitter page advised me not to remove it just yet.

Chris2005, Jul 31, 2015
  6. JIGSAW Win User
  7. xbliss Win User
    Win 10 Downloader & Media Creator: 10.2 GB folder remains. Use it before deleting?

I chose, create media for another PC.

I had chosen to only create x64 .iso even though I was thinking might make sense to have a copy of both.

But apparently Win 10 downloader downloads WIM/ ESD for both?

Can I use it to create Win 10 media? How?

Delete it after?

The Big Files:

xbliss, Aug 22, 2015
  8. EdTittel Win User

it indicates that this folder has a role to play in the upcoming "Threshold 2" release scheduled for (?) early November. Check out this posting:
    $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS
    HTH.
    --Ed--

PS: It's only 65KB, so I'm keeping it around to see if it does play a role when that SP-like-update pops up in a couple of months.

EdTittel, Sep 13, 2015
  9. JIGSAW Win User
    ^ I can't see how it's needed for that ... i did a clean install about a week ago just to see how that goes ... those folders are not there. *Huh

JIGSAW, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can $Windows.~WS Be Safely Deleted? - Similar Threads - $Windows ~WS Safely

2. Can I safely delete boot.wim?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I safely delete boot.wim?: I am trying to clean up my small SSD drive, and see a 4GB file called "boot.wim". Is it safe to just delete this file? Or is it important for windows to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-safely-delete-bootwim/d22322d2-384e-48e7-b33c-b46ae3866a0f
  3. Can I safely delete boot.wim?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I safely delete boot.wim?: I am trying to clean up my small SSD drive, and see a 4GB file called "boot.wim". Is it safe to just delete this file? Or is it important for windows to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-safely-delete-bootwim/d22322d2-384e-48e7-b33c-b46ae3866a0f
  4. Can I safely delete boot.wim?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Nocapturestate.etl can it be safely deleted?

Nocapturestate.etl can it be safely deleted?: While looking for large deletable file I’ve found Nocapturestate.etl in Windows Performance Toolkit gpuview. Its an 11gb file is it safe to remove it?...
  6. How to delete $WINDOWS. ~BT and $WINDOWS. ~WS

How to delete $WINDOWS. ~BT and $WINDOWS. ~WS: I'm having a hard time deleting these. Can you help me with it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-windows-bt-and-windows-ws/f8114f56-c673-427c-b203-04d69552d0ea"
  7. Can I safely delete install.wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I safely delete install.wim?: I'm cleaning out unnecessary files and folders and came across my C drive. Since I have created my own custom recovery partition, can I safely delete this install.wim that is currently setting in my C drive and using 9GB? 115022
  8. $Windows.~WS ? ? ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    $Windows.~WS ? ? ?: Does anybody know what the $Windows.~WS file is and can it be removed? It's not removed when you do "disc clean of system files". Any ideas *Cool 11272
  9. $Windows.~WS folder deleting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    $Windows.~WS folder deleting: hello I tried to download win10 twice with media tool but it reached ~75% and then its just gone without any error ... however this is not the problem I think the downloaded 75% are still stored on my C drive because i have a folder called $Windows.~WS its empty (there is...
  10. "$Windows.~WS" folder safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Support
    "$Windows.~WS" folder safe to delete?: Hi, so I know this folder is somehow related to windows update / windows 10 updates. I'd like to delete it, as it's taking up 5.76GB of space on the C drive. It appeared a few days after I installed Windows 10. Can I go ahead and axe it? Or is there something else I should...