Windows 10: Can you access my main hard drive from a Windows to Go USB?

Discus and support Can you access my main hard drive from a Windows to Go USB? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Long story short, my laptop won’t let me get into it due to a bad system config info error. This includes safe mode. My plan is to install Windows to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Vega2Bad, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Can you access my main hard drive from a Windows to Go USB?

Long story short, my laptop won’t let me get into it due to a bad system config info error. This includes safe mode. My plan is to install Windows to a USB and hopefully access my files that are located on my main C drive. Can I do this using a Windows to Go USB? Also worth mentioning, my single hard drive on my laptop is split into a 50/50 partition. The other half is completely untouched and has no files on it. Would I just have an easier time finding a way to install Windows on that empty partition? Would I risk any loss of data to my C drive when installing Windows on the partition? Essentially my end goal is to be able to pull a few files from my C drive and not lose any data. Thanks!

submitted by /u/Vega2Bad
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Vega2Bad, Mar 28, 2020
  2. DannibusX Win User

Accessing a Hard Drive...

...from a dead laptop.

My girlfriend's laptop recently s**t the bed, and she has a lot of photos she would like to retrieve from it. I used a USB to IDE cable to try, but it's a no go. Her drive has Windows XP Home on it, and my system has Win7 x64. The computer recognizes the drive, but it wants me to initialize it, which I think may format it.

I don't know if it's formatted FAT32 or NTFS. Are there any suggestions on accessing the drive to pull all this data off of it?

DannibusX, Mar 28, 2020
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Can you access my main hard drive from a Windows to Go USB?

little cat, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

Can you access my main hard drive from a Windows to Go USB?

1. Can you access my main hard drive from a Windows to Go USB? - Similar Threads - access main hard

2. My Main hard drive says NTFS and I can`t Access it!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Main hard drive says NTFS and I can`t Access it!: I just reset my pc to factory new and now my hard drive is locked out and I can't do commands or I can`t access my my main c: drive! I can`t use regeditor!...
  3. My Main hard drive says NTFS and I can`t Access it!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Main hard drive says NTFS and I can`t Access it!: I just reset my pc to factory new and now my hard drive is locked out and I can't do commands or I can`t access my my main c: drive! I can`t use regeditor!...
  4. My Main hard drive says NTFS and I can`t Access it!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. can you not boot Windows installation from hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can you not boot Windows installation from hard drive?: If I have a laptop with free dos and my USB ports are broken is there any way that I can boot the installation directly from hard drive? Can I trick my computer into thinking the hard drive is a USB or something similar to that? Or do I have to resolder my USB? too new to...
  6. Windows changed main hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows changed main hard drive: Hello. A few months ago I bought a new Samsung SSD and it's been working fine up until this point. Today, when I launched my PC, it instead booted into my old SSD, which means I had a major "rollback", you could say. It appears that the problem is that my Samsung hard drive...
  7. My main hard drive fails at auto repairing, yet I can still access it from my other hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My main hard drive fails at auto repairing, yet I can still access it from my other hard drive: Ok Ive tried countless times to repair my main HDD, using all the command prompt stuff, auto repairs useless and Ive checked the log files, and it said it cant come to a conclusion on what the problem is. I booted up from my other SDD, and I can still open, and even move...
  8. My main hard drive fails at auto repairing, yet I can still access it from my other hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My main hard drive fails at auto repairing, yet I can still access it from my other hard drive: Ok Ive tried countless times to repair my main HDD, using all the command prompt stuff, auto repairs useless and Ive checked the log files, and it said it cant come to a conclusion on what the problem is. I booted up from my other SDD, and I can still open, and even move...
  9. USB hard drive is not accessible

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB hard drive is not accessible: I just tried to access my external usb hard drive and was unable to do so. Received error message: "E:\ is not accessible - the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable". I just updated all my drivers 2 days ago so I tried plugging the drive into my laptop which has the...
  10. Can you start a PC from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you start a PC from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs?: Can you start a PC or laptop from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs? I know how how to start a mac off an external hard drive with a bootable OS X volume. I wonder if you can do the same with PCs and Windows 10. 62445