Windows 10: Can you automate changing default application for a file type?

Discus and support Can you automate changing default application for a file type? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an application (WPS Office) which repeatedly hijacks the default application setting for PDF away from Acrobat Reader to itself. I don't want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ricecrispies, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Can you automate changing default application for a file type?

I have an application (WPS Office) which repeatedly hijacks the default application setting for PDF away from Acrobat Reader to itself. I don't want this and it wastes a good deal of my time as I keep on setting it back to where it should be. Is there a way, such as a scheduled script, to periodically set the default application for PDF back to Acrobat Reader?

:)

ricecrispies, Apr 17, 2019

2. Change Save As File type

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What type of files are you trying to save?
    2. What type of File formats are you referring to?
    3. Are you facing this concern with all Websites?
    However, Try the below suggestions to change the default programs & File associations in Windows 10.

Method 1. Choose a Default Program for specific file types (extensions).

1. Right click on the Start menu and then choose
    Control Panel. Set the View by to Small icons and then choose
    Default Programs.

2. At Default programs options, choose
    set your default programs

3. At the left pane select the application that you want and then click:

a. Set this program as default to make the selected application as the default application to open all files types that it can handle, or

b. Choose defaults for this program to choose which specific file types the selected application can open by default.

b1. If you select the Choose defaults for this program option, then a new window will open that lists all the extensions (types of files) that the selected program can handle (open). Look at the list
    of extensions and select any other extensions (files types) you want to be opened by the selected program. After making your changes, click
    Save.

Method 2. Associate a specific file type (extension) to open with a default program.

The second method is to choose a default program by extension.

1. Go to Control Panel >
    Default programs
    and select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

2. From the list of file extensions, select the extension that you want to change the default program to open with and then click
    Change program.

3. Finally select from the suggested programs or select
    More apps to find another program on your computer, to open files with the selected file extension.

Hope it helps,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Forum Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Apr 17, 2019
  3. Mithin_EJ Win User
    Unable to alter default apps for opening files to specific applications

Hi Keegan Sanchez,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

I would like you to try the following steps:

· On the start menu, select settings.

· Select Apps and then select Default apps.

· To choose a default apps for each file type (for example, .mp3 files), scroll down to the file type and click on the app which is currently set as default.

· You will see the list of all the applications which can be associated with that file type. You may chose the application from that list.

Try with the above steps, and let us know, if you can alter default apps opening files, we look forward for your reply.

You can also refer this link:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028161/windows-10-change-default-programs

Hope it helps,

Mithin EJ

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mithin_EJ, Apr 17, 2019
  4. Can you automate changing default application for a file type?

1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in Settings App

Everyone can change a default app. This is about creating a new file type or protocol for a default app. Your suggestion and the issue are different things.

Look at the screenshot, imagine there is a protocol URL:000 that isn't in the list... how are you going to add URL:000 to the list?

Kev Feathers, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

Can you automate changing default application for a file type?

1. Can you automate changing default application for a file type? - Similar Threads - automate changing default

2. How do you change a specific file types opening application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you change a specific file types opening application: Hello there. So recently i discovered that all of my .JSON files were connected to the minecraft launcher. I need help on how to reset an app type as example .JSON so that it has no file associated to it. My Computer is German btw If you want to view how it looks, here is a...
  3. How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type: Hi, I wish to change "jpg" files type to open in Photoshop Elements 2020 Editor but Windows no longer offer the choice to navigate to my PC "PhotoshopElementEditor.exe" file. How can I change this? Thanks,...
  4. Change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  5. Can you automate changing default application for a file type?

Can you automate changing default application for a file type?: I have an application (WPS Office) which repeatedly hijacks the default application setting for PDF away from Acrobat Reader to itself. I don't want this and it wastes a good deal of my time as I keep on setting it back to where it should be. Is there a way, such as a...
  6. Changing Default Program for File Type

Changing Default Program for File Type: Hi, I had downloaded a file with .kmfs extension. What I was to do, but did not know then, was to rename it as .exe and execute the program. But, I had renamed it as a .pdf thinking the file is ready to read. Now, I want to change the file type default as nothing, so I can...
  7. Change default program for file types

Change default program for file types: I'm unable to change my default file type for .ini files, .md, etc. I'm trying to use Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code. I've attempted it multiple times by going to the file and choosing the default as well as through Default Apps. Anyone know a fix for this? I'm on the...
  8. Win10 continually changes the default application type for file types that I have set to...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 continually changes the default application type for file types that I have set to...: I have set Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as my default app for file type .PDF using windows system settings. This functions properly for a few hours, then windows automatically resets the default app for PDF files to Microsoft Edge. I really prefer Acrobat and it is very annoying...
  9. Not possible to define a default application by type of file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not possible to define a default application by type of file: Good morning, since a few weeks, every time I try to open an excel, word or illustrator file (just as examples) I get the following error: [ATTACH] When I try to go to set the default app by file type setting, I see that the .ai file has no application assoviated with...
  10. Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst

Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst: I some how changed file type .dst to open with Corel Draw. I need to change it back to unknown application. I am operating with Windows 10. I have tried going through control panel/default programs/ however it forces me to pick an application, no option for "unknown...