Windows 10: Can you change batch rename suffixes?

Discus and support Can you change batch rename suffixes? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Currently, when I batch rename files, it shows as "NameOfFile #". However, is it possible to change the #, by something else like _# instead?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nic727, May 18, 2020.

1. Nic727 Win User

Can you change batch rename suffixes?

Hi,

Currently, when I batch rename files, it shows as "NameOfFile #".

However, is it possible to change the #, by something else like _# instead?

Thank you

:)

Nic727, May 18, 2020

2. How to Batch Rename files ?

I have a lot of files I want to give names to. I already found a way to get names into a text I need. So all these names i have in text, I want to give to other files.

How do i do this in a batch process ?

Currently trying to learn FastStone Image viewer. Seems to be updated version of Resizer by the same company?
    That has been useful for other batch processes for images . But I've yet to figure the batch naming options .

A different software I'm considering for this task is called Advanced Renamer .

Maybe I've become too slow through the years because :
    I've been looking for the right tutorial that I can clearly understand and found none .
    They seem to be out of my grasp .

Note : I currently use a bat file, that takes the names of other files I have in a folder and puts them into a text file.

( I'd prefer a one click Bat process ideally for this specific task ) .

So I'd be happy with a bat file that can also take those names in my text list
    and apply them to files I want to rename in any given folder with those . If anyone knew how to do that.

It don't matter the order applied - as long as each file in the folder receives one name from the list.
    The names I pulled are from images in a folder. The names are to be applied to a equal number of files ,
    which is a different extension. so no worry about them having the same name. So just the names .

- - - Updated - - -

I found this thread. But unsure how to apply it and its replies into the bat i need ?

stackoverflow rename-files-after-a-list-of-names

Update possible reference
    for loop - Creating a batch file to rename TXT files based on content (removing inappropriate syntax) - Stack Overflow

- - - Updated - - -

and yet another reference i need help understanding if its useful
    windows - Generate file-folder list.txt file in a directory/subdirectory & rename list.txt to folder/subfolder name using dir & ren command in a batch file - Stack Overflow

OtherWay1982, May 18, 2020
  3. How to Batch Rename files ?

I found a app called Advanced Renamer ( I mentioned this before ) .And there maybe a adequate solution here.

This is the instructions for the process i want to learn. But I'm having a hard time finding these actions in the app.
    Could someone assist me with this app and doing this ?

" "Add Source folder.
    Method/List
    Populate List/Yes
    Clear the file list (not the Method list) so no files selected
    Add Copy folder (List method is still active)
    Check New filename, start batch" "

- - - Updated - - -

I was able to implement those instructions I left there. Solved.

OtherWay1982, May 18, 2020
  4. Can you change batch rename suffixes?

How to Batch Rename files ?

First, make a backup of the files. Bulk renaming can cause major problems so you will appreciate the backup if things go horribly wrong.

Second, as you mentioned, there are programs to handle renaming for you. Check out: Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility

Third, if you want to use a batch file (and you've completed step 1), try this from the command prompt:

for /f "delims=" %v in (TextFileWithFilenamesToRename) do echo ren "%v" "%v_NewFilename"

The previous command will show you the how the ren command will work without actually changing the filenames.
    Without knowing what the text file with the name of the files to rename looks like, you may have to tinker
    with the command to get it right.

If everything looks good, you can perform the actual rename command by removing the echo command as in:
    for /f "delims=" %v in (TextFileWithFilenamesToRename) do ren "%v" "%v_NewFilename"

Good luck

mahoneycutt, May 18, 2020
Thema:

Can you change batch rename suffixes?

1. Can you change batch rename suffixes? - Similar Threads - change batch rename

2. batch rename files

in Windows 10 Support
    batch rename files: hello, id like to remove characters in file names... using cmd, ive been able to remove "." (the dot) and replace it with a space and but hopefully keep the extention id like bou.bou.bou.txt to be renamed to bou bou bou.txt i tried : ren *.*.??? * *.??? obviously i want to...
  3. Batch renaming folders Help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Batch renaming folders Help: I found some folders on my A: drive the drive I assigned to my EXHDD because nostalgia that had slightly misleading names. Basically these folders have certain words/phrases in their names that I wanted to remove entirely. The only way I can think to do that is to go to...
  4. Rename files in batch.

Rename files in batch.: Hi All.. I am having some files nearly 2000 in nos. in a particular folder. I just need to replace some portion. Is it possible that I can do it instantaneously.. if so please guide....Details are furnished below.Old file Name : P12478-12-71-41-1781-01.dwg...
  5. How to change default Batch Rename protocols?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change default Batch Rename protocols?: For my job, I do a large amount of saving documents from one location to another, and renaming sequential files. How do I get the default batch rename feature to change from adding a (1), (2), (3), etc... at the end of the file, and instead change it to -1,-2,-3, etc...? Eg,...
  6. Batch Renaming photos

Batch Renaming photos: I have been renaming groups of photps but suddenly its not doing it the same way. What I am doing: 1. Control A to select all photos in the folder 2. Right clicking first photo and selecting “rename” 3. Typing title, i.e. “March 2019” then hitting return In the past,...
  7. Batch Rename in Powershell

Batch Rename in Powershell: I'm trying to rename all the image files in a folder by appending a 1- in front of each file name using this command: Dir Rename-Item -NewName {$_.name -replace "IMG_*.*","1-IMG_*.*"} A typical file name is IMG_0001-Wolf.jpg. I get the following error message for each...
  8. You can now batch rename files on Windows 10 with PowerToys

in Windows 10 News
    You can now batch rename files on Windows 10 with PowerToys: Back in the days of Windows 95, Microsoft offered PowerToys – a collection of useful tools and utilities to improve Windows experience. Earlier this year, Microsoft said that it was bringing PowerToys to Windows 10 and the app initially offered two features. The latest...
  9. How to Batch Rename files ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Batch Rename files ?: I have a lot of files i want to give names to. I already found a way to get names into a text I need. So all these names i have in text, i want to give to other files. How do i do this in a batch process ? Currently trying to learn FastStone Image viewer. Seems to be...
  10. Batch Rename Deletes Files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Batch Rename Deletes Files: Hey all, I just upgraded to Windows 10 last night, and I've been playing around with the new File Explorer. One thing I tried was the batch rename function (by which I mean just selecting multiple files and clicking "rename"). I quickly realized that it behaves differently...