Windows 10: Can you confirm advanced recovery options work after upgrading to CU?

Discus and support Can you confirm advanced recovery options work after upgrading to CU? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, could you advise your experience of this please? If you upgraded from the Anniversary Edition to the Creator's build, when you boot to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dalchina, Sep 2, 2017.

1. dalchina New Member

Can you confirm advanced recovery options work after upgrading to CU?

Hi, could you advise your experience of this please?

If you upgraded from the Anniversary Edition to the Creator's build, when you boot to the Advanced Recovery options (e.g. via SHIFT + left click Restart)

does clicking on the boxes for
    - Command Prompt
    - System Restore
    - Startup Repair

fail or succeed?

I find I just get a logo screen and 'Please Wait' and haven't yet been able to repair this.
    Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

A clean install of the CU (using exactly the same source) is fine. Thanks!

:)

dalchina, Sep 2, 2017
  2. Elkatman Win User

Windows 10 reset interrupted

I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 ages ago and it has worked fine until today, when the Video output failed. I got a BSOD that referred to some video driver (I think) and so after rebooting I tried to "Reset Win 10" using the Advanced Recovery Options.

During the "Reset" process, the Video (through HDMI) failed. I tried the onboard graphics (DVI) which wouldn't work either. I waited for about 30 mins before resetting the CMOS.

I then got the onboard graphics back but the system will only boot to the "Advanced Recovery Options" blue screen. I don't have an image to restore and the system doesn't recognize the USB port, for which I have a recovery usb stick. All other recovery options
    return me to the "Advanced Recovery Options" screen.

What can I do? Can anyone please help.

thanks

Elkatman, Sep 2, 2017
  3. Cannot get to advanced recovery options

So I recently caused an issue with my computer by messing up the startup applications. By doing this I someone disabled my ability to enter the password required to sign into my computer. My immediate thought is to do a system restore. I've tried multiple
    options to this route but have not had much luck. First I cannot access the advanced recovery options through the boot up process. I've tried hitting F12, F8, F3, and even shift+F8. I used my laptop to create a recovery disk but I get a disk error when I insert
    it into my desktop. Using this shift+restart process doesn't seem to do anything other than restart my computer also. So I'm wondering if someone perhaps had a solution to my issue. Thank you in advance.

Joe.Peck91, Sep 2, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Both the machines in 'My Computers' below have been upgraded from 1607 to 1703. I've never had cause to use Startup Repair, but I regularly use System Image Recovery on my test machine to swap between saved system images. Works fine in 1703.

I've just tried Command Prompt on my main machine (x64 1703 Home) with equal success.

Bree, Sep 3, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Thanks. From a thread NavyLCDR & I worked on we haven't resolved my problem. I'll probably just leave it broken and move on.

dalchina, Sep 3, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    Just checked 2 PC that were upgraded from 1607 to 1703 with shift + left click restart and both opened to choose an option with continue, troubleshoot, and turn off your PC.

One computer took more than 5 minutes and the other was within 1 minute.

zbook, Sep 3, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Mm, there's a difference between having the options available (incl. Command Prompt, System Restore and Startup Repair) and them actually working.

I had all the options shown, but clicking e.g. Command Prompt in the Advanced Recovery screen => Please Wait, not a command prompt.

Would you mind checking that please?

Our experience in the thread leads me to think there's a chance more people may have this issue- few would be aware, as few would actually use them often. The error number I encountered (0xc0000454) in odd cases (not normal boot) is one not found on this forum but is reported.

dalchina, Sep 3, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

Checked 3 computers.
    All three opened to command prompt
    choose an account to continue
    forgot your password or don't see your account?

Once the passwords were entered each computer opened to Administrator: X:\Windows\system32.cmd.exe

0xc0000454 search is opening links with information similar to this:
    How to Fix Boot Configuration Error Code 0xc0000454 on Windows 10?

zbook, Sep 3, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, yes, I've seen that one.

I've tried rebuilding the BCD, the entire EFI partition, clean installing and replacing the Windows partition with an image of my current one - even an in-place upgrade repair install and one or two other things.

dalchina, Sep 3, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
    Just tried shift + left click restart with a 1703 clean install and it was nearly instant to the windows advanced troubleshooting.
    I have one computer that failed to upgrade from 1607 to 1703 and all opened command prompt with Administrator X.

It's a puzzle that both clean install and in place upgrade did not fix the problem.

Spoke too soon. The 1607 that failed to upgrade is stuck on command prompt.
    The 1607 that failed to upgrade is due to insufficient free space in the reserved partition.
    In March I had had this problem with another computer. This was before the 1703 upgrade was available.

Just fixed it. It required using the keyboard up/down arrows. It opened to Administrator X

This link indicates NVRAM: Help! error 0xc0000454 : Windows10

zbook, Sep 3, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, to be exact, the clean install itself was fine. And the upgrade from the AU completed with smoothly. It's finding a way to get my current Windows partition consistent with the recovery partition after the upgrade that's the problem.. (I've always used the same DVD for the CU in this- for the upgrade, the in-place upgrade install and the clean install - so that's probably not the problem).

dalchina, Sep 3, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    If you diskpart two computers (one with the problem next to one that is normal) are there any differences? Are the sizes similar? I would need to read more on the topic as this is the first time I heard about the problem.

See this link it has a tool:

Fix 0xC0000454

I cannot tell whether it is a legitimate site or not.

zbook, Sep 3, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 3, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    Yes, I subscribe to that thread but NavyLCDR seems to be giving all the help I could offer, so haven't felt I had much I could contribute. My only thoughts are that you problems with Reagentc and Bcdedit were already there in the 1607 (dormant, perhaps) before the upgrade to 1703.

15. dalchina New Member
    Perhaps so- I'd have hoped either rebuilding the EFI partition or replacing the Windows partition after a clean install would have dealt with that.

Note: I'm not trying to re-open a discussion on my particular problem- merely wondering if anyone else had the same underlying symptom, given a page I'd read on error 0xc0000454.

dalchina, Sep 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Can you confirm advanced recovery options work after upgrading to CU? - Similar Threads - confirm advanced recovery

2. How can i boot into advanced recovery options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i boot into advanced recovery options: I've been having this "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" problem for 2 days now it says "tcpip.sys" is what failed i know i have to go into advanced recovery options to fix this but the problem is that i can't get into advanced recovery options i tried shutting the pc down...
  3. How can i boot into advanced recovery options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i boot into advanced recovery options: I've been having this "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" problem for 2 days now it says "tcpip.sys" is what failed i know i have to go into advanced recovery options to fix this but the problem is that i can't get into advanced recovery options i tried shutting the pc down...
  4. Advanced Recovery Options Password Incorrect Fix

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Advanced Recovery Options Password Incorrect Fix: I wanted to uninstall an update so i went to advanced recovery options but when i inserted my passwordof my microsoft account the password was incorrect i tried multiple times but the problem still remained. Then i turned off the option "Only allow windows hello sign in for...
  5. Missing Advanced Recovery Options

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing Advanced Recovery Options: Hi, So when I go to the 'Recovery Options' and than Advanced, there are only 2 options available: UEFI Boot Settings and Advanced Setup Options. There is no Command Prompt or System Image settings etc. Many Thanks in advance INFO - Windows 10 Enterprise, 1909 - Standard...
  6. Advanced repair options not working?

Advanced repair options not working?: please read to the end Hello. I've been on an infinite loop of automatic repair since this morning. But now every time the auto repair starts, it says it can't fix the fault. There. The funny thing is that everything I try in the advanced options fails. Whether it's...
  7. Windows 10 Recovery/Advanced Startup Options

Windows 10 Recovery/Advanced Startup Options: My Windows 10 features the latest updates. My recovery/advanced startup screens, however, lacks both Startup Repair and System Image Recovery options. The second is peculiar as I use System Image Recovery and the control panel says it's working fine. I've had this problem...
  8. THE "ADVANCED RECOVERY OPTIONS" IS IN A RUSSIAN LANGUAGE

THE "ADVANCED RECOVERY OPTIONS" IS IN A RUSSIAN LANGUAGE: My computer broke recently, and I tried to recover it and it was fine. But, why is the advanced recovery options in a russian language? I have to use Google Translate on my phone to recover my laptop. But is there anyway to change the language?...
  9. Edge problem after CU upgrade. Could someone confirm or otherwise.

in Browsers and Email
    Edge problem after CU upgrade. Could someone confirm or otherwise.: This is an MS Edge Issue I've hit a peculiar problem on just one site... and out of all the sites I use it is the most important one to me. Following the upgrade I find that this site: diyAudio takes around 15 to 20 seconds to open. When open it takes a further...
  10. Advanced Power Management with CU

in Windows 10 Support
    Advanced Power Management with CU: now when I go to to power management , under advanced settings there is a new listing for "Processor power management". It is the first one listed...."Maximum processor frequency" ??? Default is set to ZERO ?? Should I leave this at zero , on battery and plugged in ???...