Windows 10: Can you create a seperatelocal account on a microsoft account computer

Discus and support Can you create a seperatelocal account on a microsoft account computer in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Basically my partner is wanting a user account on my PC but she'd rather not have it linked to her Microsoft account. The main account I use is linked... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by peteyt, Mar 28, 2017.

1. peteyt Win User

Can you create a seperatelocal account on a microsoft account computer

Basically my partner is wanting a user account on my PC but she'd rather not have it linked to her Microsoft account. The main account I use is linked to my Microsoft account.

According to what I've read online I should be able to go to add a family member and click the person doesn't have an email account. This I can do but then it wants me to create an email address for this person and the option mentioned in the guide to create an account without a Microsoft account isn't there.

Is there a way to create her account as a local account while keeping mine as a Microsoft account or would both have to be local?

:)

peteyt, Mar 28, 2017

2. How can I create a Microsoft account without a last name?

Hi Doug,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

Please be informed that, we cannot create a Microsoft account without entering last name and we cannot continue the steps by keeping this field empty. So, we need to enter both the first and last name to complete the process.

I hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 28, 2017
  3. Doug JL Win User
    How can I create a Microsoft account without a last name?

I have a local Windows 10 account named Doug and it has access to various shared drives on the network, for example on another Windows 10 computer. Of course that access is keyed on my account account name.

Now I want to use a "Microsoft account" instead of a local account, but that requires me to enter both a first and last name which causes the account name to change (e.g., to "Doug Jones"), and that causes me to lose access to the network drives. How can
    I retain my simple userid, "Doug" and have a Microsoft account?

It does seem pretty silly that every Microsoft account must contain a blank.

Doug JL, Mar 28, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Certainly! Take a look at this tutorial here on Tenforums. It should answer your question and give you step-by-step instructions. Post back if you have any other questions on this or problems. TC

Add User Account in Windows 10 - Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

f14tomcat, Mar 28, 2017
  5. peteyt Win User
    Thanks the guides online might be outdated as the guide you linked to seemed to work straight away. Thanks again

peteyt, Mar 28, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    You're quite welcome! Glad it got you going. Lots of good tutorials here.....glance thru when you have the time. Cheers! TC

Windows 10 Tutorials

f14tomcat, Mar 28, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    That's because the tutorials here are continually updated. For example, the one you used says:

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can you create a seperatelocal account on a microsoft account computer - Similar Threads - create seperatelocal account

2. How can you re-access an administrator account that is a Microsoft account that you cannot...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can you re-access an administrator account that is a Microsoft account that you cannot...: I had created an administrator account by creating a new outlook Microsoft account. My laptop is freshly bought- and has no current files or anything on it. However, whenever I try signing in, the password comes out as incorrect each time. I can't reset the password because...
  3. How can you re-access an administrator account that is a Microsoft account that you cannot...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can you re-access an administrator account that is a Microsoft account that you cannot...: I had created an administrator account by creating a new outlook Microsoft account. My laptop is freshly bought- and has no current files or anything on it. However, whenever I try signing in, the password comes out as incorrect each time. I can't reset the password because...
  4. Create a Microsoft Account is Gone in Microsoft Account Homepage

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create a Microsoft Account is Gone in Microsoft Account Homepage: answers.microsoft.com Welcome Page is Gone in Website https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-a-microsoft-account-is-gone-in-microsoft/ebfc1237-cf5c-4a01-84ab-8d54c06ab9db
  5. Creating a Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Creating a Microsoft Account: I am trying to create a new Microsoft account. I am getting a Laptop computer and I would like to keep it separate from my Desktop account. My Desktop, my wife's and my HTPC all Microsoft accounts that use a personal domain name that I setup over 10 years ago.Today I tried to...
  6. Creating a Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a Microsoft Account: I am trying to create a new Microsoft account. I am getting a Laptop computer and I would like to keep it separate from my Desktop account. My Desktop, my wife's and my HTPC all Microsoft accounts that use a personal domain name that I setup over 10 years ago.Today I tried to...
  7. Creating a Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can you create guest accounts in windows 10?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can you create guest accounts in windows 10?: Can you create guest accounts in windows 10? I think windows 10 is the worst OP, how do you think about? 167936
  9. Can you create guest accounts in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you create guest accounts in windows 10?: Can you create guest accounts in windows 10? I think windows 10 is the worst OP, how do you think about? 167936
  10. Microsoft Account "You may already have an account" - Impact of "Create the account anyway"

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account "You may already have an account" - Impact of "Create the account anyway": Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. There is no category for "Microsoft Accounts" that I could see. I set up an account years ago using my own domain name: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** [real domain name obfuscated] My son...