Windows 10: Can you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows...

Discus and support Can you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Can you (or should you) Defragment and Optimize an Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID 1 Volume or should you just leave the Volume alone? My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mark M. New York, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Can you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows...

Can you (or should you) Defragment and Optimize an Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID 1 Volume or should you just leave the Volume alone?

My Configuration:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Version 14.5.0.1081

Volume1: 2 x 2 TB Seagate Desktop HDDs in RAID 1 (contains Operating System & Software)

Volume2: 2 x 2 TB Seagate Desktop HDDs in RAID 1 (contains Data only)

Can I Defragment and Optimize either or both of the above Volumes using Defragment and Optimize Drives in Windows 10 Administrative Tools or should I just leave the Volumes alone? Both Volumes are OK right now but I would like to set a schedule for Optimization if there is no downside to it. Thank you for any information which can shed light on the subject.

:)

Mark M. New York, Sep 28, 2018
  2. M Gowen Win User

Hard Drives (in Raid 0) showing as SSD in Optimize Drives, so can't defrag

I have a single SSD, boot with Windows / Programs etc, and two 1Tb Hard Drives in Raid 0 (with good backup schedule!) containing data. The SSD is visible as an SSD in the "Optimize Drives" dialog, but the Raid Array (divided into two partitions) are showing
    as two SSD drives. Hence, the optimize option to Analyse for defrag is greyed out.

All drivers are up to date. Upgraded to the latest Win8.1 Intel RST driver, but this didn't help.

Any help on changing their status would be gratefully received.

M Gowen, Sep 28, 2018
  3. Defragment and Optimize

When I optimize, there are 4 items listed:

1) OS (CCan you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows... :) Hard disk drive

2) RECOVERY (DCan you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows... :) Hard disk drive

3) SYSTEM Hard disk drive

4) \\?\Volume{2d47a5... Hard disk drive

Item 4 is permanently listed as ' (9% fragmented) ' - it refuses to optimize ; more than that, I don't even know what it is, what its function is - I've no way of knowing if my PC's performance would improve if it could be optimized --- can anyone tell
    me what Hard disk drive " \\?\Volume{2d47a5... " is?? -- it's a total mystery to me ( I've never had this type of item on any of my previous PCs).

Thanks, Gerry Connolly.

GerryConnolly, Sep 28, 2018
  4. M Gowen Win User

Can you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows...

Hard Disk Drive (HDD) seen as Solid State Drive in Optimize Drives

My issue is the same. Two internal HDDs set in Raid 0. Not my boot drive and Win 8 happily saw this as a HDD. However having upgraded to Win10, now see it as SSD, so cannot defrag it. Perhaps the speed of my Raid is fooling it. Have checked Intel RST driver
    installed but no change. Disk Management shows no issues.

M Gowen, Sep 28, 2018
Thema:

Can you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows...

1. Can you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows... - Similar Threads - Defragment Optimize Intel

2. Optimize and Defragment Drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimize and Defragment Drives: Doing a little system upkeep, like Disc Cleanup, but when I do the Optimize and Defragment Drives, Iobit Advanced system care comes up and does the scan. Is that OK, or should I Exit it, and have the regular scan go?...
  3. How to image 2 hard drives with raid 1

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to image 2 hard drives with raid 1: I am replacing old hard drives before they go bad. Hard drives are 8 years old. I have made many single hard drive images with macrium reflect but never with 2 drives and raid 1. Wanted to get some input on how to do it or point me in the right direction to find out how....
  4. Strange looking volume in the Optimize Drives (Defrag) screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange looking volume in the Optimize Drives (Defrag) screen: Anyone else seen this before? [img] It's just seen in the Optimize Drives screen, not elsewhere as seen when checking out Disk Management for example [img] I'm on Version 10.0.19041.450 163142
  5. Strange looking volume in the Optimize Drives (Defrag) screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange looking volume in the Optimize Drives (Defrag) screen: Anyone else seen this before? [img] It's just seen in the Optimize Drives screen, not elsewhere as seen when checking out Disk Management for example [img] I'm on Version 10.0.19041.450 163142
  6. optimizing hard disk drive

optimizing hard disk drive: I am able to optimize the windows (c) hard disk drive with the utility in the control panel. It does not work with the system hard disk drive which is 100% fragmented. Is this a problem and how do I fix it? I sometimes experience a momentary blue screen when computer exits...
  7. Can not find D hard drive in disk defragment

Can not find D hard drive in disk defragment: I can find my SSD as my C: but for some reason my D: will not show up on the list. I ran a chkdsk and it can find and analyze D Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. 976629759 KB total disk space. 491134428 KB in...
  8. RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives: My custom build is now about a year old. Whe n I first set it up, I configured hardware RAID 1 and the fresh windows install worked perfect. Now after a few upgrades the drives are not seen as a RAID anymore but 1 separate drives. Funny thing is when I mounted on a...
  9. Intel RST RAID driver in Windows 10 causing disk errors!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel RST RAID driver in Windows 10 causing disk errors!: Hi, I have a PC with Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard. It has Intel chipset and Intel BIOS RAID (RSTe) and 6 SATA ports connected to it. The chipset IDE controller lists in Linux as: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset SATA RAID Controller (rev 06), and the PCI ID...
  10. Windows disk defragmenting and optimizing!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows disk defragmenting and optimizing!: I really think MS should come up with a better way to put these two Disk Defragmenting and Optimizing into they're own seperate location that is meant for the different drive that users have on they're computer like put the Disk Defragmantation in the Hard disk drive location...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. intel raid hdd optimize

2. defrag raid 1

3. intel raid management software windows 10 defrag drive

4. asrock extreme raid 1 chkdsk and defrag,
  5. should I optimize raid volumes in windows,
  6. do you defrag a raid