Windows 10: Can you delete and re-install sticky notes without losing all the content?

Discus and support Can you delete and re-install sticky notes without losing all the content? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recevied no help from the Windows 10 support on Sticky Notes (who initially told me that it was an Office product and to contact office) - which it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hoyas97#, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Hoyas97# Win User

Can you delete and re-install sticky notes without losing all the content?

I recevied no help from the Windows 10 support on Sticky Notes (who initially told me that it was an Office product and to contact office) - which it is not. I am having an issue where Sticky Notes just crashes after updates to 1803 (in early October (and the later October 1803 release also did not work). I was informed that I could uninstall and reinstall sticky notes by other Windows support team member through this forum, but then they never replied as to whether or not I would loose all the contents contained in these notes now if I do this.

Are these saved locally and will these not be affected by the uninstall and reinstall of Sticky Notes?

FYI - not sure in the correct "category" as there was not a "Sticky Notes:

:)

Hoyas97#, Nov 5, 2018

2. Can't delete unused Sticky Notes neither change their colors

Hi Yhendra,

Thank you for using Windows10.

I understand your concern and would suggest that you try deleting the sticky note from the source location of the sticky notes from the specific user account.

The AppData folder in the below step is a hidden folder, try the below step to unhide it and later try the steps mentioned.

Steps to unhide:

• Open File Explorer by right click on Start Icon
      and select File Explorer.
    • Click on View and check Hidden items.

Try the below step to delete the sticky note:

a) Open File Explorer.

b) Navigate to the following location:
    C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes.

c) In the Stick notes
    folder you will find a file called StickyNotes.snt

d) You will need the file named StickyNotes.snt

Note: If you delete StickyNotes.snt
    file this will delete all the sticky notes present on the computer event the new ones.

Make sure that you backup any newly created sticky notes.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance and we'll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Nov 7, 2018
  3. Sticky notes

Hi Idalee,

Yes, there is a possibility that the recent update may have disabled or corrupted the apps. For us to isolate this problem, we suggest repairing or resetting Sticky Notes on your PC. Follow these steps:

• Open Settings and click Apps.
    • On the Apps & features tab, locate the name of the missing app.
    • Click the app and select Advanced options, then click Repair.
    • If the Repair option is not available or does not resolve the issue, you may also try the
      Reset option. However, it's more likely that you will lose any app data that was saved.
    • Once the repair or reset is completed, Sticky Notes should now reappear in the app list.
    • You may now pin it to the Start Menu.

Update us with the outcome.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Nov 7, 2018
  4. Can you delete and re-install sticky notes without losing all the content?

sticky notes

Was this the WIndows 10 Upgrade from WIndows 7, 8 or 8.1?

Check now for a C:\Windows.old folder that is created during an Upgrade. If that folder is found, you can

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 10
    and then follow the steps here:

• To backup sticky notes in Windows 10/8.1/8/7:
    STEP 1. Type %AppData%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes in the windows.old folder Search box.

STEP 2. Copy StickyNotes.snt to a safe location.

• To restore sticky notes:
    STEP 1. Type %AppData%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes in start menu search box or run and press Enter.

STEP 2. Copy the StickyNotes.snt file from your backup folder and paste it in the folder that opens. Agree to overwrite the old file, or delete it first before copying. If it balks then install and use the

Take Ownership Shortcut
    on the folder so you can replace the .snt file.

If you don't have Windows.old folder, do you have a backup image of your old install which we can help you mount to browse into the old files?

If not then your notes may be lost. In the future use Notepad or Wordpad which can more easily save Files to your Documents, or back up the Sticky Notes file regularly following the above.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

Can you delete and re-install sticky notes without losing all the content?

1. Can you delete and re-install sticky notes without losing all the content? - Similar Threads - delete install sticky

2. Can you restore Sticky Notes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you restore Sticky Notes?: Yesterday, I appear to have lost my sticky note with a lot of important information. Can this be restored? I was referred to this via: "Per checking issue description, this is sound issue with win 10. Since I am a support engineer for Office 365 Online Services, this issue is...
  3. Can you restore Sticky Notes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you restore Sticky Notes?: Yesterday, I appear to have lost my sticky note with a lot of important information. Can this be restored? I was referred to this via: "Per checking issue description, this is sound issue with win 10. Since I am a support engineer for Office 365 Online Services, this issue is...
  4. Install/re-install Sticky notes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install/re-install Sticky notes: Sticky Notes is missing. If you type Sticky Notes in search, not thereof you got to settings/apps etc to try to reset it is missing in the Apps listNext step would be to go to the Windows Store and just install it again.The problem is access to the Microsoft store is blocked...
  5. Install/re-install Sticky notes

Install/re-install Sticky notes: Sticky Notes is missing. If you type Sticky Notes in search, not thereof you got to settings/apps etc to try to reset it is missing in the Apps listNext step would be to go to the Windows Store and just install it again.The problem is access to the Microsoft store is blocked...
  6. Restoring Deleted Sticky Notes

Restoring Deleted Sticky Notes: After accidentally deleting a sticky note, is there a way to restore the note? Also, is there any way to disable the shortcut of Ctrl+D to prevent accidental deletion? I'm using Sticky Notes 4.5.6.0 on Windows 10. Thank you....
  7. Sticky notes , how can I keep my notes on the desktop without starting sticky notes program

Sticky notes , how can I keep my notes on the desktop without starting sticky notes program: Sticky notes , how can I keep my notes on the desktop without starting sticky notes program ? I dont want to run sticky notes when I want to see my notes...
  8. I lost the contents of a Sticky Note

I lost the contents of a Sticky Note: I use Sticky Notes on a PC with Windows 10 Home, version 1903. I was editing a Sticky Notes note, when the contents of that note were suddenly deleted. I am not sure if I inadvertently did something to cause this, or if it was a bug. In any event, I desperately need the...
  9. Auto-Deleted Sticky Notes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Auto-Deleted Sticky Notes: Hi, my sticky notes are being deleted one by one by the system ever since I updated to the latest Windows version. And yes, it wasn't a mistake. I didn't accidentally close/delete the sticky notes by myself. It just randomly disappear by its own every time I turn on the...
  10. Where are stored data / content of Sticky Notes (Stickies) in Windows?

Where are stored data / content of Sticky Notes (Stickies) in Windows?: Hi! I'm using lot of time Sticky notes for Windows 10 and yesterday my system failed and required was reinstallation. Before I backupped whole system partition and want to find lost data. Can anybody help me where is possible to find Sticky Notes (or Stickies) data...