Windows 10: Can you dual-boot Windows 10 and 7 (10 installed first) without booting onto the USB drive?

Discus and support Can you dual-boot Windows 10 and 7 (10 installed first) without booting onto the USB drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The title is the question. I've dual-booted before with Windows 10 installed first, with 8.1, but can you do it without booting onto the USB? Thanks,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AAAAAAAAAAAA1, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Can you dual-boot Windows 10 and 7 (10 installed first) without booting onto the USB drive?

The title is the question. I've dual-booted before with Windows 10 installed first, with 8.1, but can you do it without booting onto the USB?

Thanks,

OldBo5/AAAAAAAAAAAA1

:)

AAAAAAAAAAAA1, Aug 8, 2019

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Aug 8, 2019
  3. Melvis Win User
    What is the best way to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 and 10 after a fresh install of Windows 10

Windows 7 and 10 hate each other, I had dual boot W7/10 and they just want to repair each other all the time which ends up screwing the install and then refuses to boot. You have to install W7 first I think then Windows 10, you cant do it the other way around. This was on 2 separate HDDs

Melvis, Aug 8, 2019
  4. Jborg Win User

Can you dual-boot Windows 10 and 7 (10 installed first) without booting onto the USB drive?

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

http://www.disk-partition.com/kb/tips-ssd-optimization-windows7-1.html

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for Windows

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

Can you dual-boot Windows 10 and 7 (10 installed first) without booting onto the USB drive?

1. Can you dual-boot Windows 10 and 7 (10 installed first) without booting onto the USB drive? - Similar Threads - dual boot installed

2. HOW TO INSTALL DUAL BOOT 10/7 SYSTEM ON NVMe DRIVE WITH 10 FIRST?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HOW TO INSTALL DUAL BOOT 10/7 SYSTEM ON NVMe DRIVE WITH 10 FIRST?: hello everyone :) as much as things have changed in the past 10 years my love of puters hasnt... since my BIG system has been packed away im doing jobs for other people & here's my first big challenge. they have an NVMe SSD drive with windows 10 version 2004 on it already......
  3. Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on separate drives

Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on separate drives: Hello and thanks for having me on the forum. Not too tech savvy and have a question. Windows 7 user on PC DELL 8700 XPS. I added another drive and and installed W10. All working well. I would like to set up dual boot. I can do it now by hitting F12 and choosing my OS....
  4. Dual Boot without USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot without USB: Hello guys I have to boot another OS on my UEFI Windows 10 however I do not have USB Stick and due to the virus lockdown I cannot go outside to buy a new one. Is there any software to let me boot these two OS with only using my Internal Drive (SSD). Thanks in advance....
  5. Dual Boot Win 7 onto Win 10 host?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Boot Win 7 onto Win 10 host?: I recently purchased a Win 10 laptop with an ssd, and would like to ALSO run Win 7 on it. What is the best wayto have BOTH bootable: ("Dual Boot"? "Bootable virtual drive"? (what's the difference between them??)). Then: where can I find the Best, Detailed, (Simple?)...
  6. Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.: I recently installed Windows 7 alongside Windows 10 for better support for older games, however Windows 10 will now no longer boot, it simply goes to a black screen with a circle of spinning dots with occasional disk activity. I have left it like this for at least 3 hours...
  7. Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot

Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot: Below is a listing of my rig's internals. This was my umty-8th build 6years ago, with the Crucial M4 SSD and the Program drive and the Backup drive. The 1TB game drive was added about two years ago. Note: This rig has been nothing but fast and trouble free. Also, I build...
  8. Install Windows 10 as dual boot without USB or DVD

Install Windows 10 as dual boot without USB or DVD: Hi guys, I have the Windows 10 Pro ISO with a Windows 10 key. (from MSDN) I want to install Windows 10 as dual boot with Windows 8.1. Both are x64. Is it possible to install Windows 10 from the ISO? I know you can upgrade that way. But I want to do a clean install...
  9. Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on seperate drives

Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on seperate drives: I want to set up a dual boot system with windows 10 and 7. I have both already installed on separate drives in my desktop system and was wondering if it is still possible to set up a dual boot. Now I just switch boot priority in BIOS, but sometimes when I start up 7 it wants...
  10. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can you dual boot the other way around

2. dual boot without usb