Windows 10: Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History

Discus and support Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've been using File History & generally like the way it works. However, if I open a Word file, e.g. Utilities.doc, Word also creates a temporary file,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by phrab, Jun 20, 2021.

1. phrab Win User

Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History

I've been using File History & generally like the way it works. However, if I open a Word file, e.g. Utilities.doc, Word also creates a temporary file, ~$ilities.doc. If I have it open for awhile, File History may back up this file also. Over time, I've found various files starting with ~ or ~$ in File History. Since these are not files I would ever need as a previous version, is it possible to exclude these files in the first place? Thanks in advance.

:)

phrab, Jun 20, 2021

2. File History won't exclude folders

I just tried to exclude C:\Users\Donny\Downloads using the legacy control panel File History interface. When I clicked "Select Folder" the folder was added to the excluded folders list. When I clicked "Save changes" and went back into the excluded folders
    list, C:\Users\Donny\Downloads was not listed at all.

So certainly not fixed for me.

Donny Murgatroyd, Jun 20, 2021
  3. neuroking Win User
    File History won't exclude folders

The 'remove this drive' technique appeared to work, but when I checked the drive, the folders were still being backed up. Opened the modern file history settings and the folders were still removed from the backup list. I tried to add them manually to the
    excluded folders list and they disappeared like before. After a reboot, and I think opening the 'classic' file history control panel without making changes, the removed folders were back on the list and could not be removed.

I also did the same steps above, but manually deleted the backed up folders from the drive after removing them. Still no dice.

Everything is back to where it was before. Somehow I got a folder to stay in the classic and modern control panel exclude lists, but I can't add any more. One thing to note, the exclude list, I think, must contain folders within the backed up folder list.
    I know it makes no sense to exclude a folder that isn't backed up anyway (i.e.-not a subfolder of a backed up folder), but it seems a likely place for some weird settings reset bug to occur.

My guess is that there is some interaction between the modern and classic control panels that causes them to reset these lists, compounded by the added functionality of selecting the folders in the modern settings. Something along the lines of the File History
    engine checks the classic control panel for exclusions, then checks the modern settings for inclusions, finds a conflict, and reverts to the previous folder lists. Some type of weird tug-o-war over settings, and the underlying triggers are automatically called
    from both sides in non-intuitive (to users) ways.

My solution was to ditch FH altogether and switch over to SynBackSE for versioning. Not a solution for everyone, I know, but there is something fundamentally messed up with FH, and I'd rather not gamble with my thesis backups.

neuroking, Jun 20, 2021
  4. Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History

File History won't exclude folders

I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:

Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off

Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive

Delete the File History folder in your external drive.

Start using File History again.

After these steps, I can add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive".

Hope this can help you.

Vincenzo Carbone, Jun 20, 2021
Thema:

Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History

1. Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History - Similar Threads - exclude certain files

2. Can you exclude particular files from being backed up by OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can you exclude particular files from being backed up by OneDrive?: Because I have one huge extra large video in the phone that I do not wish to be backed up in OneDrive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-exclude-particular-files-from-being-backed/87162bba-5110-49f1-8f41-71da994c8b90
  3. Files excluded from sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files excluded from sync: Hi,I have some audio files that will not open anymore. It says under the "status" colomn that the files are "excluded from sync". What does this mean? And how do I get my audio files to play again?Thanks....
  4. Files excluded from sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files excluded from sync: Hi,I have some audio files that will not open anymore. It says under the "status" colomn that the files are "excluded from sync". What does this mean? And how do I get my audio files to play again?Thanks....
  5. File History: Can I exclude all subfolders except one?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: Can I exclude all subfolders except one?: Hi I use File History for routine backup. I have a particular folder, with lots of sub-folders, that I don't want to to include in the back up - EXCEPT for one folder, that I DO want to include. I've tried excluding the parent folder, then specifically including the...
  6. File history folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  7. File history folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  8. Can´t open files from a certain folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can´t open files from a certain folder: Hello internet, I have gotten a problem lately: I copied all camera photos/videos from my phonea Samsung Galaxy A70 as it were going for reparation. Now i can´t open any of those photos or videos from the computerRunning Windows 10. The app says that it doesn´t support...
  9. Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive: Hello anyone, When I activated File History I left the Videos folder, which contains my movies and series, in theBack up these folders list. That filled up my 1 TB backup drive quickly, so I removed that folder from the list. Now how do I remove excluded folders from my...
  10. Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10: How to: Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 How to Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up...