Windows 10: Can you fix corrupt files on external hard drive?

Discus and support Can you fix corrupt files on external hard drive? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I stupidly moved instead of copied about 50 GB of videos and documents to an external hard drive. Everything was in one folder and I just moved it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by nopeda, Apr 24, 2020.

1. nopeda Win User

Can you fix corrupt files on external hard drive?

I stupidly moved instead of copied about 50 GB of videos and documents to an external hard drive. Everything was in one folder and I just moved it and went away from the computer for an hour or so figuring it would take a while. When I tried to look and make sure everything went alright some things opened up fine and others didn't respond at all and seemed to lock everything down. So I tried moving them back to the computer hard drive with similar results. I posted about this a week or so ago but since then have had some luck getting back about 20 GB by moving them back to the computer hard drive pretty much one at a time. Some of them would work and do fine. Others would seem to be working and then get so far along with the process and quit working. Some of them don't even try but instead everything seems to lock up and that blue circle thing goes around and around until I finally disconnect the external drive. During one attempt and only one of many attempts so far it gave the message: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". Since then I haven't tried anything else but in looking at a few things about that message get the idea that maybe the files that don't respond got corrupted or something because I moved them incorrectly and maybe there is something that can clean things up on that external hard drive? When I check the properties on it it says it still has over 30 GB which would be right because what I moved was over 50 GB. So the info is probably still on there but messed up and maybe there's a way to fix it, or at least some of it? Here is information about my computer and the external drive if that can help tell anyone anything::Windows 10 Pro version 1903 OS build 18362.720 Installed RAM 12.0 GB (11.8 GB usable)Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30 GHz64-bit operating system, x64-based processorFile system: NTFS Used space: 170 GB Free space: 61.6 GBWDC WD2502ABYS-18B7A0 Disk drivesBaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO Version Win8 Pro DPK TPG On the external hard drive it says: 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Case USB3. 0 Support 3TB it also has a list of things on the back, here are some of them:1. During format process, our hard disk will choose exFAT automatically as default efficient format. Please DO NOT select NTFS manually, this format is not supported by our hard disk, will cause disk crash.3. QC Passed, Hard Disk Formatted already before packing & shipping, there is no need to reformat when first use.2. Only Data Storage, Read & Write is supported on MAC OS, formatting is not supported on MAC OS otherwise it will damage the disk.4. Special attention to our products (partitions are not supported), partitioning will cause damage to the hard disk. For safer and longer service life, use it directly as one independent partition.I didn't try formatting or anything and it didn't say anything about it itself.Some people have suggested it's a PC trying to read MAC formatting or something like that or the cord it bad. But it's not something that is having a negative influence on everything on the drive, only on about 70% or so.Thank you for any help!DavidUSA

:)

nopeda, Apr 24, 2020

2. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Apr 24, 2020
  3. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

I had the very same problem and this worked perfectly!!!

PaulMisener, Apr 24, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Can you fix corrupt files on external hard drive? - Similar Threads - fix corrupt files

2. Can you export a code onto an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you export a code onto an external hard drive.: My friend is getting harassed and he needs help so I am trying to code something to brute force any passwords that get in the way of the program deleting system 32 so that he can live in peace. I am going to do this and will likely never get it back, however need help, if...
  3. Can you export a code onto an external hard drive.

Can you export a code onto an external hard drive.: My friend is getting harrassed and he needs help so I am trying to code something to brute force any passwords that get in the way of the program deleting system 32 so that he can live in peace. I am going to do this and will likely never get it back, however need help, if...
  4. External Hard drive corrupted?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive corrupted?: I have a 4tb WD My Book external hard drive. It was used for external storage on my Xbox One, One X, and I have since upgraded to a Series S system. When I first connected it to the Series S it worked just fine, but when doing initial downloading and moving around games to...
  5. Potentially Corrupted External Hard Drive

Potentially Corrupted External Hard Drive: Hello,I have a Seagate 1TB External SSD. I was copying some files onto it when I bumped the USB cable lose and it interrupted the copy and corrupted the hard drive. It won't recognize on my laptop when I plug it in doesn't show up in the File Explorer, Disk Manager, or Device...
  6. Continuous Corruption To Video Files On External Hard Drives

Continuous Corruption To Video Files On External Hard Drives: I have had an external hard drive of 4 TB (Western Digital) filled with video files that are of average 5 GBs each , lately I got to realize it started sustaining corruptions where suddenly some of the files become 0 KB for no reason as even I have not accessed them lately ....
  7. External hard drive broken/corrupted?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive broken/corrupted?: [ATTACH] External hard drive shows up as local disk. When I click on it, the drive gets stuck on loading and makes my computer slow down. Crashes if I click anywhere on file explorer. I can't even turn on my computer when the external hard drive is plugged in. When it's...
  8. Can you fix corrupt files on external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you fix corrupt files on external hard drive?: I stupidly moved instead of copied about 50 GB of videos and documents to an external hard drive. Everything was in one folder and I just moved it and went away from the computer for an hour or so figuring it would take a while. When I tried to look and make sure everything...
  9. Fixing an External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fixing an External Hard Drive: Recently my external hard drive has stopped working my PC. If I plug it into a Mac, it works fine. When plugged into the PC, it says that file is corrupted and unrecognizable. Any help on how to get my hard drive working without losing the data on it?...
  10. Can you copy program files over to an external hard drive?

Can you copy program files over to an external hard drive?: Can you copy program files over to an external hard drive? And copy them back onto your hard drive after installing Windows 10 pro? Or do you have to install all the programs again? If so is there any software that would do it for you? 74875