Windows 10: Can you force a program to open on a specific monitor and/or specifically sized?

Discus and support Can you force a program to open on a specific monitor and/or specifically sized? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Basically, I want the following to work: When my computer boots up, I want a bunch of auto-start programs to start a) on the correct monitor on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/rxzlmn, Nov 25, 2020.

1. /u/rxzlmn Win User

Can you force a program to open on a specific monitor and/or specifically sized?

Basically, I want the following to work: When my computer boots up, I want a bunch of auto-start programs to start a) on the correct monitor on my multi-monitor setup, and b) start properly sized, i.e., maximized, half-sized, etc.

For example, I want my mail client to start maximized on my 2nd monitor. I want my Citrix to start up half-sized on the left on my primary monitor.

I am surprised that I could not find a working (simple) solution for that. What I have found is: If you change a program to freescale sizing (i.e., not maximized, not half-sized) and close it, that program will "remember" this as its default startup size/position. However, once you maximize it, that no longer works. For example, my mail client, even after having been manually dragged to the second monitor, resized manually, and closed - which leads to it reopening there - once maximized will revert to opening on the primary display.

Is there any reliable way of accomplishing that?

submitted by /u/rxzlmn
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/rxzlmn, Nov 25, 2020

2. Set specific programs to open on the 2nd Monitor

Hi,

As of yet, there is no specific option that allows you to set certain programs to open on a specified display monitor. Programs open on whichever display monitor is chosen as the main monitor.

For advanced troubleshooting, we suggest that you post your query in our
    TechNet forums
    where we have experts who are more knowledgeable regarding the matter.

Let us know how else we can help.

Patricia Yu, Nov 25, 2020
  3. user_b Win User
    windows 10 multiple monitors with main task bars on each, requested option: open window / program on specific monitor

While running multiple monitors with full task bars on each, add an option where opened folders / file / programs open on the specific monitor and are 'highlighted' on that specific monitor. Example: monitor 1 (main), monitor 2, monitor 3. If one opens a
    folder on monitor 1 it opens on monitor 1. If one opens a folder on monitor 2 it opens on monitor 2 opposed to opening on the main monitor 1. If one opens a folder on monitor 3 it opens on monitor 3 opposed to opening on the main monitor 1.

Currently if another app is opened on a alternate monitor, the app is defaulted to monitor 1 where the user has to move the app to the other monitor.

Further, the file / folder / program should be highlighted and a previewed for mouse hover with respect to each monitor / taskbar.

Each monitor needs its own full task bar that identifies its own characteristic with respect to what is open on the specific monitor.

user_b, Nov 25, 2020
  4. WiIfred P Win User

Can you force a program to open on a specific monitor and/or specifically sized?

how to set open images with specific program

Hi Alan,

This is Wil, one of the independent advisor, an expert with Windows 10 and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. I understand your concern about opening images with a specific program.

To do that, you would need to right-click on the image that you want to open and on the menu choose "Open With". If the program that you wanted to use is not on the list, click on "Choose Another App", scroll down and then click on "More Apps"

I hope my suggestions help you. If you need further assistance please do reply back and I will respond as quickly as possible. Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Wilfred P.

Independent Advisor

WiIfred P, Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Can you force a program to open on a specific monitor and/or specifically sized? - Similar Threads - force program open

2. Can't open specific program or uninstall it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open specific program or uninstall it.: I can't open some of program such as Steam, IDM, or install any program that just download. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-specific-program-or-uninstall-it/5a6ffeca-30e6-436a-8726-bc3bae545c54
  3. Can't open specific program or uninstall it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open specific program or uninstall it.: I can't open some of program such as Steam, IDM, or install any program that just download. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-specific-program-or-uninstall-it/5a6ffeca-30e6-436a-8726-bc3bae545c54
  4. Can't open specific program or uninstall it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to "lock" specific applications to only open on a specific monitor, regardless of...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to "lock" specific applications to only open on a specific monitor, regardless of...: Hi everyone,Title pretty much explains it all. I have two monitors, and I am wondering if there is a setting or parameter that will allow me to make certain applications only open on my second monitor. I feel like there is an easy way to do this that I am just completely...
  6. specify specific virtual desktop to open on specific monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    specify specific virtual desktop to open on specific monitor: What I want to do is: I have setup 3 virtual desktops, and I have 3 monitors - my laptop, 1 viewsonic and 1 hanns monitors. So I want to have each desktop assigned to specific monitor always. When I switch to that desktop, it should automatically open on the assigned monitor....
  7. Can you force specific windows to be black like the explorer?

Can you force specific windows to be black like the explorer?: [IMG] submitted by /u/Nico1300 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mavmgg/can_you_force_specific_windows_to_be_black_like/
  8. Can you Change a Specific Setting When You Open a Program?

Can you Change a Specific Setting When You Open a Program?: Hi there, I have a very specific question. I have a two monitor set up, where one is my laptop and the other is an external monitor. I like to change the, "Choose what happens when you close the lid" setting in the power plan options to, "do nothing," so that I can close my...
  9. Set monitor for specific programs

Set monitor for specific programs: I've bought a 2nd monitor today and I just cant figure out how to set a monitor for different programms. I want to play shooter on my main screen and racing games on my other. I think Windows needs to be able to set something like this. Or is there at least a programm that...
  10. specific screen resolutions for specific programs

specific screen resolutions for specific programs: on previous versions of windows, one could choose the screen resolution for specific programs or apps. I cant find it in windows10, all I can find in it's place is one screen resolution option "640 x 480" and after a long time of searching for other ways to do this, it's too...