Windows 10: Can you get a virus from an exe file that was in a zipped folder?

Discus and support Can you get a virus from an exe file that was in a zipped folder? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi everybody. I downloaded a folder from google drive which had a couple of pdf files and an exe file I didn't notice. When I opened the zipped folder... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by munchkins, May 4, 2021.

1. munchkins Win User

Can you get a virus from an exe file that was in a zipped folder?

Hi everybody. I downloaded a folder from google drive which had a couple of pdf files and an exe file I didn't notice. When I opened the zipped folder I noticed the exe and immediately deleted the file (while the folder was still zipped) but windows explorer crashed. I thought it was a one off and tried to delete the file again but explorer crashed again and I had to restart it using "run new task" in task manager. I deleted the whole folder which went without a hitch and also deleted the folder from my recycle bin. This got me super worried and I ran a full system scan using Avira anti virus which didn't find anything. I also checked all the background processes that are running in task manager and couldn't find anything. I then checked on Glasswire to see if it is showing any new network activity but nothing is showing up there either. So it seems like it's ok but I wanted to post here to see if my assumption was correct. Some advice would be really appreciated. Thank you.

:)

munchkins, May 4, 2021
  2. GSquadron Win User

Folders with zip files

I have like 30 or more folders and everyone of them has only one single zip file.
    How can I extract all zip files inside of all folders?

GSquadron, May 5, 2021
  3. Bree Win User

If you tried to delete the exe inside the ziipped folder, that that should work in most circumstances. It certainly works if the zipped folder was made by Explorer. However, you have no idea what was used to make this zipped folder, and it may be that the zip archiver that made it has features that are incompatible with Explorer, at least as far as deleting files in it.

I'd extract just the pdfs you want, perhaps putting them in a zipped folder of your own, then delete the original zip.

Yes, a zipped exe can potentially contain a virus, but as you never ran it you should be safe. In fact, Defender will scan inside a zipped folder and should have alerted you if it found a virus.

Bree, May 5, 2021
  4. munchkins Win User

Google drive created the zip folder.

Will defender scans be active even when running a third party anti virus like avira?

munchkins, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Can you get a virus from an exe file that was in a zipped folder? - Similar Threads - virus exe file

2. Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders: How do I use Windows Explorer's search feature to find Zip folders not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-finding-zip-folders-not-the/2e838c6d-648c-4b53-99f5-82ee2259eacd
  3. Can you shrink a zip file while extracting it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you shrink a zip file while extracting it?: I am using a Windows 11 PC and need to extract a zip file. However, after extraction the files will be a total of 80 GB. The zip file is 76 GB before extraction. In total, after extraction this would have used 156GB on my disk. I only have ~120GB of free space. So, is there a...
  4. Can you shrink a zip file while extracting it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you shrink a zip file while extracting it?: I am using a Windows 11 PC and need to extract a zip file. However, after extraction the files will be a total of 80 GB. The zip file is 76 GB before extraction. In total, after extraction this would have used 156GB on my disk. I only have ~120GB of free space. So, is there a...
  5. .exe files won't run from a .zip download

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    .exe files won't run from a .zip download: There are two particular .exe files on my computer that will not run. One is an installer for a Tascam US-800 audio interface. The other is the .exe installer for H&R Block tax software. Both files were downloaded as part of .zip files. I extracted all the files from the...
  6. EXE FILE DISSAPEARS FROM FOLDER

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    EXE FILE DISSAPEARS FROM FOLDER: I'm trying to download the program BenBox for Laser Engraver onto my computer. After installing the program it runs on the install but when I close it and try to reopen it my benbox.exe file disappears from the folder it was in. How do I solve to problem of the disappearing...
  7. Can you get a virus/malware from powerbank?

Can you get a virus/malware from powerbank?: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...s/apd/451-bbkv I bought one of these for my laptop a while back and use it as backup power for my laptop. I want to get another one of these and notice that on sites like ebay, people sell them either new, open box or used and the...
  8. Can you get a virus from a keyboard?

Can you get a virus from a keyboard?: I know this might sound like a stupid question. But say you have a keyboard and you do not know if someone did anything to it. Then you connect it to your laptop. Assuming its a wired keyboard, this is impossible right? But what if its a wireless keyboard? I ask this because...
  9. Can you get a virus from a keyboard?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you get a virus from a keyboard?: I know this might sound like a stupid question. But say you have a keyboard and you do not know if someone did anything to it. Then you connect it to your laptop. Assuming its a wired keyboard, this is impossible right? But what if its a wireless keyboard? I ask this because...
  10. Can you ZIP files using file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can you ZIP files using file explorer: Can you ZIP files using file explorer? If you can how do you do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-zip-files-using-file-explorer/9c023eb6-0718-4b82-a93e-5eccb1bbd7fa"