Windows 10: Can you give me tips for my first game?

Discus and support Can you give me tips for my first game? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; In an earlier question I asked for the best program for beginners (Eure Erfahrung mit Unreal Engine und Unity?) Now I need some tips from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Rizosge69, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Rizosge69 Win User

Can you give me tips for my first game?

In an earlier question I asked for the best program for beginners (Eure Erfahrung mit Unreal Engine und Unity?)

Now I need some tips from experienced computer scientists Can you give me tips for my first game? :D

I want to keep my game really simple - 2D, pixelated and a jump & run on which platform I haven't decided yet (either Android or Windows) as I don't know how to publish something like that it would be helpful if you let me know.

So to my question: Where do I get the basics, so NO crash course on YouTube, but I would be willing to spend money for it (Max. 50 €)

How can I publish it I need licenses?

What do I have to pay attention to when designing (sound, background & character)

I thank you, if you have read this far and hope for a helpful and good answer Can you give me tips for my first game? :D

:)

Rizosge69, Aug 1, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums!

You need of course go through the Windows initial setup first. Windows setup is done in three stages:

1. Installation to an empty hard disk or replacing earlier Windows installation. When done, Windows will restart.
    2. Device configuration. This stage does not require any user input. Again, Windows will restart when done.
    3. OOBE, also known as Windows Welcome. This is the final stage of setup where initial user account is created.
    The video guide you referred to starts at the beginning of stage 3, you haven't even done stages 1 & 2 yet. You need to clean install first as told in this tutorial: Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

The video guide about installing Windows 10 without any Windows Store UWP apps starts when you reach step 15 in above mentioned tutorial, beginning of stage 3 on my list above.

Short: clean install Windows 10 as told in tutorial, following it through from step 1 to step 14. At step 15, before doing it, you can do what's told in video and when done continue from tutorial step 15 to end of it.

Kari, Aug 1, 2020
  3. cereberus Win User
    Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums!

How to convert an mbr legacy bios boot disk to uefi gpt mode with no data loss

The CU update has a great new too called mbr2gpt which converts legacy bios boot disks to uefi gpt format.

It works with virtual hard drives as well - so if you have e.g. a hyper-v gen 1 disk, this is the easy way to convert it to a gen 2 disk.

I will do steps for a vhd

Step 1 - make a copy of vhd (for real disk - an image backup) in case things go pearshaped.

Step 2 - attach vhd using disk management - here disk 2 is legacy bios

Can you give me tips for my first game? [​IMG]

Step 3: shrink the OS drive (H here) to give room to write EFI partition. I actually shrank it a lot as I had no idea how much space it needed

Step 4: validate the install is suitable for conversion from an admin powershell or admin command prompt

Code:
    mbr2gpt /disk:2 /validate /logs:c:\ /allowfullos[CODE]

The /allowfullos switch allows you do this from normal Windows.

If doing a real disk and it was your boot disk, you need to do it from a winpe environment (eg bootomt from a 15063 installation disk and pressing shit+f10)

I recommend you create log files to directory of your choice - I choose C:\ as easiest to type.

[u][b]Warning - if you omit the /disk switch it will do it on your boot disk by default!
     [/b][/u]

[img]https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/general-support/129330d1491845505t-tips-tricks-you-saw-first-tenforums-2017_04_10_17_31_472.png[/img]

Step 5 - Do conversion

[CODE]mbr2gpt /disk:2 /convert /logs:c:\ /allowfullos[CODE]

[img]https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/general-support/129331d1491846025t-tips-tricks-you-saw-first-tenforums-2017_04_10_17_40_274.png[/img]

Step 6 - examine drive and tidy up

Look at drive in disk management

[img]https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/general-support/129332d1491846119t-tips-tricks-you-saw-first-tenforums-2017_04_10_17_42_025.png[/img]

You can see it does not delete old SRP (partition 1) 

You can also see I shrank it a lot - not needed to do it so much of course.

Both these are easily tidied up using minitool partition wizard :-

[img]https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/general-support/129333d1491847404t-tips-tricks-you-saw-first-tenforums-2017_04_10_18_03_277.png[/img]

Step 7 - the Acid Test - Does it work?

Yes! 

I created a new gen 2 hyper-v vm and it booted just fine as you can see.

[img]https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/general-support/129342d1491848031t-tips-tricks-you-saw-first-tenforums-2017_04_10_18_13_549.png[/img]

The whole conversion process only took a few minutes - minitool was the slowest part!

This new tool is truly awesome.

cereberus, Aug 1, 2020
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Can you give me tips for my first game? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Can you give me tips for my first game? - Similar Threads - tips game

2. My Microsoft store is not working and I've tried every tip on the Microsoft website, but...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    My Microsoft store is not working and I've tried every tip on the Microsoft website, but...: Microsoft 10 computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-microsoft-store-is-not-working-and-ive-tried/af1a96c0-fadd-400e-9824-d1fdc7620928
  3. My Microsoft store is not working and I've tried every tip on the Microsoft website, but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microsoft store is not working and I've tried every tip on the Microsoft website, but...: Microsoft 10 computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-microsoft-store-is-not-working-and-ive-tried/af1a96c0-fadd-400e-9824-d1fdc7620928
  4. My Microsoft store is not working and I've tried every tip on the Microsoft website, but...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to disable Xbox game bar tips when loading a game?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable Xbox game bar tips when loading a game?: I disabled the show game tips when loading checkbox in the game bar settings, but the tips still shows. This wouldn't be a problem, but the game bar tips are always stuck in a loop when I open Paladins. This only happens to that game so i want to disable the game bar tips....
  6. I'm having the same issue with two different games. Can someone give me some tips as to...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm having the same issue with two different games. Can someone give me some tips as to...: Hello. So there are two games which don't run after launching them. It happens exactly the same thing with both of them, and they're two different games by different developers. I played one of them about 2 years ago and it worked perfectly fine. After launching them, I can...
  7. xbor game bar tips

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xbor game bar tips: Usually when I open a game such as solitaire the xbox game bar tips slides in from the right. Since latest game bar app update (yest) it doesn't do this. I can open game bar fine but tips won't come up anymore. I toggled the setting to turn tips off and on, restarted etc but...
  8. xbor game bar tips

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    xbor game bar tips: Usually when I open a game such as solitaire the xbox game bar tips slides in from the right. Since latest game bar app update (yest) it doesn't do this. I can open game bar fine but tips won't come up anymore. I toggled the setting to turn tips off and on, restarted etc but...
  9. Disable Windows 10 Game Bar tips and notifications

in Windows 10 News
    Disable Windows 10 Game Bar tips and notifications: The Game Bar feature of the Windows 10 operating system has come a long way since first bits of the feature were introduced in earlier versions of the operating system. Game Bar, or more precisely Xbox Game Bar, is a built-in feature of the Windows 10 operating system that...
  10. Turn On or Off Game Bar Tips in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Game Bar Tips in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Game Bar Tips in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Game Bar Tips in Windows 10 The capturing clips, and sharing captures to Twitterall from one dashboard in Windows 10. When you have the Game bar turned on, you can select to show tips when you...