Windows 10: Can you group folders in Program Files?

Discus and support Can you group folders in Program Files? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I like organised stuff.. and in the program files folder, both, the normal and the 84x, there are many folders for different programs, like 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BLiIxy, Jan 12, 2021.

1. /u/BLiIxy Win User

Can you group folders in Program Files?

So I like organised stuff.. and in the program files folder, both, the normal and the 84x, there are many folders for different programs, like 10 different folders for Windows programs like windows player and windows photos etc. I have a bunch of folders just for installed drivers and stuff like that. Can I just group them up more? Like make a folder called windows programs and put all those folders in that one? And a folder called games and put every game folder in that folder and a folder called drivers and put everything in that folder?

I know I could have done this while installing, but if i do it now, will there be any problems?

submitted by /u/BLiIxy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BLiIxy, Jan 12, 2021

2. Administartor rights lost in program file and program files x86

Hi Luca,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the files and folders on Program file and Program file x86, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you logged in as an administrator?
    • Is this issue specific only to the Programs file and Program file x86 folders?

Step 1: If you have logged-in as an administrator, I suggest you to follow the below steps to give permission for entire system, so that you can access the specific files.

• Right click on the folder and click on
      Properties
    • Click on Security tab and select the
      group\user name.
    • Click on Edit option and check the option
      Full control.
    • Click on Apply and then on
      Ok
      button.

Step 2: Try the following steps and check if it helps:

• Right-click the C: Drive that you want to take ownership of, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the Security tab, and then click
      OK on the Security message, if one appears.
    • Click Advanced, and then click the
      Owner tab.
    • In the Name list, click your user name,
      Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the
      Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the
      Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    • Click OK.

• You may receive the following error message, where
      Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:
      You do not have permission to read the co1ntents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press
      Yes.
    6. Click Yes.

7. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.

Hope it helps. Try the above and reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 12, 2021
  3. File mover program other than File Explorer

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer a few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• Which is the current build installed on the computer?

• Are you the administrator of the account?

• Is the computer connected to a domain?

• Is the issue specific to a particular file type?

• Did you make any changes to the permission settings recently?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you are able to take the full control of the folder or files.

• Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user
      names
      , click your name to see the permissions you have.
    • The permissions for the selected user or group are shown in the lower portion of the properties dialog box.
    • Assign yourself “Full control” permission by checking the box for “Allow” for Full Control and check if you can access the drive.
    If the issue still persists, follow the below steps.

1. Type UAC or User Account Access on the search bar.

2. From UAC window, I suggest you to bring down the level to default and check if it helps.

Hope the information helps in resolving the issue related to the folder permissions. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jan 12, 2021
  4. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Can you group folders in Program Files? - Similar Threads - group folders Program

2. How can I transfer files from Program Files x86 to Program Files Folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I transfer files from Program Files x86 to Program Files Folder?: My laptop is a 64 bit, I noticed that some of my apps folder are installed on Program Files x86 which is for a 32 bit laptop, I recently discovered that Program Files folder are for a 64bit laptop. How can I transfer files from Program Files x86 to Program Files? Do I just...
  3. How can I transfer files from Program Files x86 to Program Files Folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I transfer files from Program Files x86 to Program Files Folder?: My laptop is a 64 bit, I noticed that some of my apps folder are installed on Program Files x86 which is for a 32 bit laptop, I recently discovered that Program Files folder are for a 64bit laptop. How can I transfer files from Program Files x86 to Program Files? Do I just...
  4. How can I transfer files from Program Files x86 to Program Files Folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "Group by" stuck in File Explorer folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Group by" stuck in File Explorer folders: Ever since I got the Windows 11 22H2 update, where you can see some things were changed in File Explorer, my folders are constantly reverting to Group by Date modified and sorted by Date modified. It's also not recognizing the type of files in the folder and tailoring options...
  6. "Group by" stuck in File Explorer folders

"Group by" stuck in File Explorer folders: Ever since I got the Windows 11 22H2 update, where you can see some things were changed in File Explorer, my folders are constantly reverting to Group by Date modified and sorted by Date modified. It's also not recognizing the type of files in the folder and tailoring options...
  7. Files and folders group not showing in this PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and folders group not showing in this PC: After updating an update that adds tabs to explorer I can't see the files and folders group anymore. I ran SFC and restart explorer but no luck. Please help me solve this, thank you....
  8. Files and folders group not showing in this PC

Files and folders group not showing in this PC: After updating an update that adds tabs to explorer I can't see the files and folders group anymore. I ran SFC and restart explorer but no luck. Please help me solve this, thank you....
  9. Program Files Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Program Files Folder: Is there any possible way to Transfer all the files from the Program Files/x86 Folder to "Program Files". . . I know what the difference is, but I was wondering if I could have ONE Program Files Folder. 159564
  10. program file folders

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    program file folders: how do I access program file folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-file-folders/679d72e1-3c91-47fe-af67-036d66f42880