Windows 10: Can you help with microphone mute on/off button not working on Windows 10?

Discus and support Can you help with microphone mute on/off button not working on Windows 10? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Please help me with the microphone mute on/off button on headset not working --> I cannot mute my voice. Here's the good news: 1. On Windows the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ef_, Jul 29, 2020.

1. EF_
    ef_ Win User

Can you help with microphone mute on/off button not working on Windows 10?

Please help me with the microphone mute on/off button on headset not working --> I cannot mute my voice.
    Here's the good news:
    1. On Windows the Headset and Microphone audio is clear via Bluetooth. I can hear them, they can hear me.
    2. Microphone/audio with Android phone tested good -- microphone mute on/off button works -- I can mute my voice with single press of the button if paired with the Android phone. It doesn't matter what app I use. I get an audio prompt through the headset of mute on/mute off.

Here's the problem: the mute button on this Bluetooth Headset microphone doesn't work on Windows 10, so if I walk away from the laptop and need to mute/unmute, I have to run back to my laptop to use my mouse.

I called Taotronics technical support -- they said if the latest drivers are installed there's nothing more they can offer to help.

Windows indicates the best drivers are installed, but they are either outdated, Windows 10 does not support all the capability, or I need to do something.

Here's what I have:

Hardware: HP ProBook

IntelR Wireless BluetoothR

Headset TaoTronics TT-BH041

Operating System: Windows 10, version 1909

Headset Device Drivers:

TaoTronics TT-BH041 - Driver 10.0.17134.1067 Driver Date: 6/21/2006
    TaoTronics TT-BH041 Avcrp Transport Adapter - Driver 10.0.17134.1 Driver Date: 4/10/2018

IntelR Wireless BluetoothR - Driver 21.70.0.3 Driver Date: 12/30/2019

:)

2. WiIfred P Win User

Why does Windows not have a mute button for the microphone?

Hi Beatlebing,

This is Wil, one of the independent advisor and an expert with Windows 10.

I understand your concern with mute button on the Microphone.

Windows 10 actually doesn't have a dedicated mute button for a Microphone like what sound output has. The mute button would actually depend on the program that you are using like Skype. But you can actually mute the Microphone by following instructions on this
    link.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

I hope my suggestions help you. If you need further assistance please do reply back and I will respond as quickly as possible. Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Wilfred P.

Independent Advisor

WiIfred P, Jul 29, 2020
  3. USB Headset Microphone Mute Button not Synchronized with System Device Driver Microphone Mute Checkbox in Both Directions

This is a followup on a post I made almost a year ago and I received no explanations here is link to that post: Headset
    Microphones Do Not Have Programmatically Detectable Microphone Mute from Headset Mute Button

I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363.

I could be wrong but I believe that this problem needs to solved at the device driver level which would probably involve redesign of device driver specifications effecting all existing drivers/hardware and all manufactures? If this is the case then unfortunately
    I guess it will never be resolved until some future version of Windows fixes the problem.

I am trying to use NAudio to mute and unmute my USB headset microphone programmatically using MicrophoneDevice.AudioEndpointVolume.Mute = True or MicrophoneDevice.AudioEndpointVolume.Mute = False

I ran into the problem of the USB device not synchronized to the system device driver. I used to be able to use the Win32 API back in the Windows XP days and don't recall this being a problem. When Windows 7 came out the entire Mixer design for Windows
    took a turn for worst, Direct-X Mixer functionality was gone forever and this problem was the result.

THE QUESTION:

Can anyone give an example in Visual Studio 2017 or 2019 C# or VB .net that can make the USB Mic mute button and the OS mute checkbox operate in sync in both directions. Remember, that old VB6 API code related to the microphone does not
    work nor does it apply to the Windows 7-10 OS and device driver designs.

THE SYMPTOM:

I have three different brands of USB Headsets with Microphone and Mute Button Wired and Wireless all with the same behavior as follows:

1. If the Mute checkbox shown below is UNCHECKED and the microphone's mute button on the headset is toggled on and off the microphone is muted by the headset's microphone internal circuitry which does successfully mute the sound to the record capture,
      however it does not update the mute checkbox in system settings for the USB microphone device.
    2. If the Mute checkbox shown below is CHECKED then the Headset's Microphone Mute button has no effect what so ever.

NOTE: There isn't any Win32 API solution that I can figure out or find to solve this sync problem and apparently NAudio's solution can not address the problem either because the Windows API in it's redesign of the mixer
    never considered this scenario of bidirectional syncing between the USB device driver and the OS.

I will try to give an example of how this can be an unsolvable problem the best I can. I am working on a voice driven program for the blind and I can't expect them to be able to turn off a checkbox in settings no more than I can have a visual queue
    showing them if the microphone is on or off. The only feedback I can give is sound effects and the computer talking to them.

Functional Example:

I am using System.Speech.Synthesis, System.Speech.Recognition and NAudio.

All of my code works I just need to sync the mute. Consider the code below (simplified).

1. System settings have the mute checkbox unchecked, headset mute button is muted.
    2. User un-mutes the microphone with the headset switch.
    3. User speaks into the microphone and says "Stop Dictation"
    4. The user forgets to quickly mute the microphone with the headset's mute button so that the SpeechRecognition_SpeechRecognized event does not falsely trigger based on the headset's speaker volume being so loud that the microphone picks up the computer
      talking or any background noise in the room.
    5. The code wants to mute the microphone while the computer is playing a sound effect and speaking to compensate for the possibility of #4 above.
    6. The code wants to keep the microphone muted until the user un-mutes the microphone with the headset switch.
    7. The code makes it's sound effect and tells the user that the dictation has stopped.
    8. The user no longer has control with the headset's mute button unless he/she manually turns off the mute checkbox in settings.

RELATED IMAGES:

Can you help with microphone mute on/off button not working on Windows 10? 93e0f747-9808-49e9-a0a3-e87e3dd09610?upload=true.jpg

Can you help with microphone mute on/off button not working on Windows 10? 39106284-6f3a-47be-ad1f-6a7a88a64e78?upload=true.jpg

Larry G. Robertson, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Can you help with microphone mute on/off button not working on Windows 10?

Windows Explorer is muting microphone

Hi Jozef,

To help you stop your microphone from muting automatically, we suggest that you follow the steps suggested by
    Kalpana Shankarappa on this
    thread
    that talks about the same issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Can you help with microphone mute on/off button not working on Windows 10?

1. Can you help with microphone mute on/off button not working on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - help microphone mute

2. Mute button wont work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mute button wont work: So no matter how I google or search in my computers settings, I cant find anything that has fixed my issue. My mute is off and when I voice call someone they cant hear me at all- I have a HP windows 10, and it has a mute button that shows its turned off with a red little...
  3. Mute button wont work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mute button wont work: So no matter how I google or search in my computers settings, I cant find anything that has fixed my issue. My mute is off and when I voice call someone they cant hear me at all- I have a HP windows 10, and it has a mute button that shows its turned off with a red little...
  4. Mute button wont work

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Mute button not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mute button not working: I have a Yoga Duet 7i Gen 6 13" Intel laptop. And my mute button on my keyboard suddenly stopped working.It used to have a pop-up thing that shows up on my screen, which indicates that it has enabled or disabled the mute.However, now the mute button only lights up the LED...
  6. Mute button not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mute button not working: I have a Yoga Duet 7i Gen 6 13" Intel laptop. And my mute button on my keyboard suddenly stopped working.It used to have a pop-up thing that shows up on my screen, which indicates that it has enabled or disabled the mute.However, now the mute button only lights up the LED...
  7. Mute button not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Mute button not working

Mute button not working: Hello, my Lenovo Thinkpad E580 mute button Fn + F1, doesn't work at all. I know it registers because, in the BIOS, it makes a sound when I press on it, however, it doesn't light up. In Windows, the button won't light up or do anything at all, so I know this is a software...
  9. Mute Button LED not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mute Button LED not working: For some odd reason my mute button's LED isn't working. It's not turning on to indicate if I'm on mute, and I remember a few months back that my LED would not turn off. Could someone recommend a way to fix this issue or bug or whatever? submitted by /u/yeeted_543 [link]...
  10. Media Buttons Mute Microphone

Media Buttons Mute Microphone: I have a lenovo laptop which mutes the microphone whenever a media eg. Vol control, open browser button on an external keyboard is pressed. This repeats with any keyboard I have tried 3 now, all with the same result. Any idea what is causing this and how to stop it?...