Windows 10: Can you "hot plug" a SATA cable SSD? Or do you need to power down?

Discus and support Can you "hot plug" a SATA cable SSD? Or do you need to power down? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Does Win10 support hot plugging of extra SSD SATA drives? Or do you need to power down first? Can I disconnect a SATA drive while Win10 is running?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/CortexExport, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Can you "hot plug" a SATA cable SSD? Or do you need to power down?

Does Win10 support hot plugging of extra SSD SATA drives? Or do you need to power down first? Can I disconnect a SATA drive while Win10 is running?

submitted by /u/CortexExport
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/CortexExport, Jan 2, 2022
  2. zamzon Win User

idle power consumption higher with SATA hot plug enabled

The idle power consumption of my ASUS B560 board increases from 9W to 16W as soon as I enable SATA hot plug for one port in BIOS. Unfortunately I would need this feature for several internal SATA devices (HDD swap racks, backup disks, etc.)

Any ideas to
    • reduce idle consumption when SATA hot plug is enabled OR
    • mount devices manually without that BIOS option? (devcon rescan is not sufficient)

Regards

Thomas

zamzon, Jan 2, 2022
  3. idle power consumption higher with SATA hot plug enabled

When you use sata hot plug as a result hipm and dipm don't work so the power consumption is higher. This is how it works.

boombastik, Jan 2, 2022
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Can you "hot plug" a SATA cable SSD? Or do you need to power down?

SATA cables

Hi richodude

Rest assured,, that will be fine, you can connect the SSD to the SATA cable for your CD Drive, just make sure to connect to both the data cable onto the motherboard and the power cable to the PSU . . .

DaveM121, Jan 2, 2022
Thema:

Can you "hot plug" a SATA cable SSD? Or do you need to power down?

1. Can you "hot plug" a SATA cable SSD? Or do you need to power down? - Similar Threads - hot plug SATA

2. How safe is Power SATA cable splitter?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How safe is Power SATA cable splitter?: Hi everyone, I need an advice about SATA power cable splitter.I'm planning to buy one but also in doubt about safety issues.How safe it is?Have anyone still use it for a year or two?So I'm asking for your advices Thank you....
  3. How safe is Power SATA cable splitter?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How safe is Power SATA cable splitter?: Hi everyone, I need an advice about SATA power cable splitter.I'm planning to buy one but also in doubt about safety issues.How safe it is?Have anyone still use it for a year or two?So I'm asking for your advices Thank you....
  4. Why do you not restore laptop shut down power that you ruined?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do you not restore laptop shut down power that you ruined?: Windows 11 upgrade ruined the shut down feature of my laptop. Please Windows 11 Microsoft fix this problem with a new update! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-you-not-restore-laptop-shut-down-power-that/60006f7b-7bca-4932-a4bf-47fc9cfa0603
  5. Why do you not restore laptop shut down power that you ruined?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do you not restore laptop shut down power that you ruined?: Windows 11 upgrade ruined the shut down feature of my laptop. Please Windows 11 Microsoft fix this problem with a new update! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-you-not-restore-laptop-shut-down-power-that/60006f7b-7bca-4932-a4bf-47fc9cfa0603
  6. plugged in SSD, laptop locked powered down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    plugged in SSD, laptop locked powered down: Windows 10 on HP OmenLaptop had been runnign for over an hour running, was plugged into power supply. I plugged in SSD - screen pops up says "Locking" and powers down. Now, no response: won't restart and does not show power/charging light at power port.I did nothing beyond...
  7. idle power consumption higher with SATA hot plug enabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    idle power consumption higher with SATA hot plug enabled: The idle power consumption of my ASUS B560 board increases from 9W to 16W as soon as I enable SATA hot plug for one port in BIOS. Unfortunately I would need this feature for several internal SATA devices (HDD swap racks, backup disks, etc.) Any ideas to reduce idle...
  8. SATA cables

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SATA cables: I just got my new SSD and i dont have a spare SATA cable. I dont live near a best buy or tech shop and ordering online would be a last resort. Im wondering if it is ok to borrow the SATA that connects my cd drive to my motherboard....
  9. Possible to hot-plug Samsung SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Possible to hot-plug Samsung SSD?: The machine is running Win10 1903 on MSI Titan GT80 SLI. The SSD is Samsung PM981 1TB. I am in a situation where I might need to hot-plug the above SSD. I attempted to install Linux onto one of the SSDs, PCIe. It makes the system unbootable. I have Win10 on SSD #1 and #3,...
  10. Can you do this?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you do this?: Last night windows 10 stopped me from being able to sign in and this means i can no longer user my computer. Has anyone got a way that you can get to the trouble shoot without having to sign in? Also if not then can you find out what email i used for windows 10 as it only...