Windows 10: Can you install Windows 10 on a formatted PC that used the upgrade from Windows 7

Discus and support Can you install Windows 10 on a formatted PC that used the upgrade from Windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I'm helping the folks out and need to format their PC. The PC in question has already been upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 a couple of years ago. If I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by [[Andy]], Apr 17, 2019.

1. [[Andy]] Win User

Can you install Windows 10 on a formatted PC that used the upgrade from Windows 7

So I'm helping the folks out and need to format their PC. The PC in question has already been upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 a couple of years ago. If I format the computer, install Windows 7 from USB boot, can I still make use of the upgrade to Win 10?

Or, could I use my personal Windows 10 disc/USB boot and use their Windows 7 product key?

Thank-you in advance.

:)

[[Andy]], Apr 17, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Apr 17, 2019
  3. Flow Win User
    Windows 10 formatting ?

We upgraded windows 7 to 10. Many crashes and errors after that. So a format and clean install of windows 10. Activated automatically. Zero issues and no more crashes etc etc.
    So I'm inclined to say to just go for it. And if a problem, then use your windows 7 key.

4. Can you install Windows 10 on a formatted PC that used the upgrade from Windows 7

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Hi guys,
    Okay, so I wanted to know, I currently have a pc at home with a paid Windows 7 installed. I am getting a new computer either Friday or Monday with an SSD. Seeing as I want Windows 10 now and not 7 and I want it on my SSD how to I get to do this. I already downloaded a Windows 10 file in order to make one of my flash drives eligible for a windows 10 installation.

Will it be possible for me to just install windows 10 on the new SSD with this flash drive using my Windows 7 key, whilst my original windows 7 is still installed on the old Hard drive. And if it is how to I go about deleting my old OS from the HDD, seeing as I also want to use that HDD in my new pc, without formatting all the games I have on it currently?

Thank you in advance

MichaelDFF, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

Can you install Windows 10 on a formatted PC that used the upgrade from Windows 7

1. Can you install Windows 10 on a formatted PC that used the upgrade from Windows 7 - Similar Threads - install formatted used

2. Can you upgrade to Windows 11 using a Windows 7 product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you upgrade to Windows 11 using a Windows 7 product key?: About a month ago I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10, which was an upgrade from Windows 7. This is not an OEM version of Windows. A week ago I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, and RAM, something I've done before with the same boot drive, however Windows is now saying that...
  3. Can you upgrade to Windows 11 using a Windows 7 product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you upgrade to Windows 11 using a Windows 7 product key?: About a month ago I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10, which was an upgrade from Windows 7. This is not an OEM version of Windows. A week ago I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, and RAM, something I've done before with the same boot drive, however Windows is now saying that...
  4. Can you upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1, to Windows 10 for free?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1, to Windows 10 for free?: Do you have to buy Windows 10 Home or Pro in order to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-upgrade-from-windows-7881-to-windows-10/94dcfe17-43eb-4cc0-b85d-8ae44ee9e7a1
  5. Can you upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1, to Windows 10 for free?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1, to Windows 10 for free?: Do you have to buy Windows 10 Home or Pro in order to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-upgrade-from-windows-7881-to-windows-10/94dcfe17-43eb-4cc0-b85d-8ae44ee9e7a1
  6. Can you upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1, to Windows 10 for free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Can you upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1, to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1, to Windows 11?: I know that most computers that came with these OSes, do not meet the Windows 11 system requirements, but if you have Windows 7/8/8.1, can you directly *upgrade*, not clean install, Windows 11, as in the same way how with Windows 10 you can use the media creation tool to...
  8. Can the Windows 10 USB drive be used for upgrading from Windows 7?

Can the Windows 10 USB drive be used for upgrading from Windows 7?: Hello, I made a Windows 10 installation USB drive using the media creation tool. Can it be used to perform an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without deleting files or it's only for clean installations? Thanks 169122
  9. Upgrade PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Upgrade PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Hello I've been trying to upgrade my Win 7 to Win 10 for the last 3 days without success. Here's my system components AMD FX 6300 Six Core Processor RAM 8 GB GPU Nvidia GeForce 750 GTX Ti HDD WD 1TB Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 and what I've tried so far: - Upgrade...
  10. Can you use Windows 7 on 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can you use Windows 7 on 10?: Hi. I was told that you can’t install windows 7 on a computer that came with Windows 10. I tried googling this and all I get for results is “how to revert back to windows 7”. Just curious because I want to use 7 if I can for playing Sims 2. thanks submitted by...