Windows 10: Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt?

Discus and support Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the Windows Recovery Environment,(ie) x:\sources or x:\Windows the Windows OS directory may not be on the C: drive. First, lets find out which drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Danfu, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Danfu Win User

Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt?

Okay...when I type in bededit |find "osdevice" or if I type in chkdsk c: /r , the cursor moves to the next line and doesn't anything.
    Then a message comes to the screen...The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not avaliable for RAW drivers.

Danfu, Feb 10, 2018
  2. spunk Win User

Sounds like your HDD has lost it's MBR and Partitions.
    If you want to try and save any files, you will have to use a recovery software.
    First, on another computer, download Mini Partition Wizard and create a bootable USB or CD then try booting the computer into Partition Wizard and choosing Repair MBR on the left panel.
    If that doesn't work you can try and recover your files using the free TestDisk Software. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack.
    After safely backing up, you would need to reinstall Windows, and all your programs and backup.

spunk, Feb 10, 2018
  3. zbook New Member
    Please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures and post images into the thread.
    If you have any problems posting images please use one drive, drop box, or google share links.

1) Find a flash drive that you can format ( > or = 8 GB )
    2) Create a bootable Windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10
    3) Temporarily modify the BIOS boot order so that you can boot to the external USB hard drive
    4) Insert the flash drive into any USB port
    5) power on the computer to the boot menu and boot to the external USB hard drive
    6) It may take 5 - 10 minutes for the iso to load while viewing the Windows icon
    7) Choose language, time, currency, and keyboard or click next
    8) Do not click install
    9) In the left lower corner click repair your computer
    10) Click troubleshoot
    11) Click command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources:>

For these steps please use the camera or smart phone camera to take picture and post the results of the steps into the thread.

12) type: C:
    13) type: dir
    14) type: D:
    15) type: dir
    16) type: bcdedit /enum
    17) type: bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    18) type: diskpart
    19) type: list disk
    20) type: select disk 0
    21) type: list volume
    (look in the column Fs for any volume that displays RAW instead of NTFS)
    22) type: list partition
    23) type: exit
    24) type: chkdsk /f /r G: (change G to the drive letter of the volume displaying RAW)
    It may display "The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt."
    This may then convert the RAW volume to NTFS.
    25) type: exit
    26) reboot to open the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu > command prompt > Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>
    27) type: bootrec /rebuildbcd
    It may display:
    Scanning all disks for Windows installations.
    Please wait, since this may take a while...
    Successfully scanned Windows installations.
    Total identified Windows installations: 1
    [1] D:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/ALL(A):
    28) type: Y
    The operation completed successfully.
    X:\Windows>
    29) type: exit
    30) reboot
    See if the boot problem was fixed.
    If it is fixed:
    31) Make a brand new restore point
    32) Backup all files to another drive or to the cloud
    33) Make a backup image using Macrium or Acronis:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

If you get this far then you are set.
    If the problem was not fixed there are more troubleshooting steps that are based on the above results.
    Please make sure to use a camera or smart phone camera to take multiple pictures as you perform the steps and post images into the thread.

zbook, Feb 10, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

If you download and create Kyhi's boot disk, available from the top of the Software and Apps section here, you can boot your PC into a familiar Win 10 environment.

You can then (e.g.)
    - run Minitool Partition Wizard and post a screenshot of your partitions- assuming you can see them
    - run HD Tune and check your disk
    - perform data recovery and backup if needed
    - there is a way of running SFC /SCANNOW offline - you'd need the exact command- another possibility.
    - you can run Macrium Reflect, and use the Fixboot command
    - you could restore the registry backup
    - run any commands you need to run

etc.

dalchina, Feb 10, 2018
  5. In case you have inconsistent issues reaching the command prompt, try this
    Forum 9230 Download Windows 10 ISO File
    Download Windows 10 ISO File Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    --- I was reminded of how I use that as one of my favorites per zbook’s recommendation in post 17.
    In my case I use a USB flash drive.
    Uncheck the "Use the recommended options for this PC".
    Select correct architecture: x86, x64 or both. Personally in today's world, I use x64 only.
    When the process is completed, bring the USB flash drive to your computer.
    When the USB flash drive boots your computer and reaches the Windows Screen, press Shift+F10.
    This will get you into the command prompt.

Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt? [​IMG]

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 10, 2018
  6. Danfu Win User
    I downloaded windows 10 onto a flashdrive.
    How do I temporarily modify the BIOS boot order? Under Format?

Wait...nevermind....I did that step when downloading windows to the flashdrive.

Danfu, Feb 12, 2018
  7. Danfu Win User
    12) type: C:

X:\Sources>C:
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

I couldn't get my pictures to download for some reason.

So I typed in D:.....I see exactly why you want pictures...I will work on that.

Danfu, Feb 12, 2018
  8. spunk Win User

If C: isn't working then try D: then E: etc. Once you have a drive letter that works type, DIR and press enter. If you see a Windows directory in that drive letter, then you are in the right place. If none of the drive letters work or none have Windows, then the Hard Drive has Failed probably.
    Then at the X:\sources prompt type Diskpart and press enter
    at the Diskpart:> prompt type List Disk and press enter. What does it say? take a picture

spunk, Feb 12, 2018
  9. Danfu Win User
    I did try D: but it didn't have a directory.
    I will try E:

Danfu, Feb 12, 2018
  10. Danfu Win User
    Total identified Windows installations: 0
    The operation completed successfully.

What does zero installations mean?

Danfu, Feb 12, 2018
  11. Danfu Win User
    Okay...I will work thru the sequence again in the morning and use my wife's laptop so I can show pictures of the screen.

Danfu, Feb 12, 2018
  12. zbook New Member
    This is what is displayed on this working computer:

Code: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 238 GB 1024 KB * Disk 1 Online 58 GB 26 GB DISKPART> select disk 0 Disk 0 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> list volume Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume 0 E DVD-ROM 0 B No Media Volume 1 C NTFS Partition 237 GB Healthy Volume 2 Recovery NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden Volume 3 FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy Hidden Volume 4 NTFS Partition 818 MB Healthy Hidden Volume 5 D ESD-USB FAT32 Removable 32 GB Healthy DISKPART> list partition Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Recovery 450 MB 1024 KB Partition 2 System 100 MB 451 MB Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 551 MB Partition 4 Primary 237 GB 567 MB Partition 5 Recovery 818 MB 237 GB DISKPART> exit Leaving DiskPart... D:\>x: X:\sources>bootrec /rebuildbcd Scanning all disks for Windows installations. Please wait, since this may take a while... Successfully scanned Windows installations. Total identified Windows installations: 0 The operation completed successfully. X:\sources>[/quote] If it displays total identified Windows installations: 0
    This result typically means that Windows installation data in the BCD store exists but bootrec could not find any additional installations of Windows on the computer to add to the BCD.
    It will take a few more steps to rebuild the BCD.

Abridged steps:

1) type: bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
    2) type: attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
    3) type: ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    4) type: bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5) type: Y (or Yes)
    6) reboot

Unabridged steps:

1) type: bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup

(It should dislay: The operation completed successfully.)

2) type: attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

(This should remove hidden, read-only, and system attributes from the file bcd.)

3) type: ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

(The BCD store has just been renamed and it will now be rebuilt)

4) type: bootrec /rebuildbcd

(It should display: Scanning all disks for Windows installations.
    Please wait, since this may take a while...
    Total identified Windows installations: 1
    [1] D:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? Yes/No/All: )

5) type: Y (or Yes)

(It should now display:
    The operation completed successfully.)

6) reboot

If the BCD store was the only problem, it should now be fixed.
    If not, then troubleshooting will be done to the operating system,
    or registry.

zbook, Feb 12, 2018
  13. Danfu Win User

When I typed in bcdedit /enum I got a message that said: The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified.

So I just continued from there typing in commands. Under list volume it had letters c and f as RAW. I went through the commands using both C: and F: . The results were the same: Identified Windows Installations: 0

Danfu, Feb 12, 2018
  14. Danfu Win User
    When I type in: bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
    I get a message that says: The store export operation has failed.
    The system cannot find the file specified.

Danfu, Feb 12, 2018
  15. zbook New Member
    Seeing the commands and the results will be useful to viewers.
    If possible please post images into the thread so that we can see what the results were for each command.
    What were the results for each: C: dir; D: dir; bcdedit | find "osdevice"; chkdsk /f; diskpark commmands, etc.

zbook, Feb 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt? - Similar Threads - open Elevated Command

2. elevated admin command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    elevated admin command prompt: where is the dictionary and/or the appendix for the language to use in the elevated admin command prompt??? I would prefer to simply ask my friends in redmond at the garage to imput the needed code/txt so that my thumbs dont go numb...lolol...
  3. Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt: Having problem installing updates windows 10 64bit - version 2004 -- need to access command prompt as an Administrator to try to fix. Any ideas ?...
  4. Access Denied in elevated command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access Denied in elevated command prompt: Hello everybody, I'm trying to run a simple command in an elevated Command Prompt that acts on a folder that resides on a secondary HDD. That drive and the entirety of its contents have my only machine's user account also the administrator set as the owner, as does...
  5. Command prompt not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command prompt not opening: Hi, I recently installed a windows 10 update and noe cmd.exe does not work. I hvae tried many different methods to open it but all that happens is a small window flashes up ont he screen for a split second then dissapears. any ideas? s8on...
  6. Run vs. Command Prompt vs Elevated command prompt?

in Windows 10 Support
    Run vs. Command Prompt vs Elevated command prompt?: Is there a rule of thumb to know which of the referenced you would use when entering a particular command or file name? Mark 112722
  7. Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt: Hello I just installed WIN 10 on an old laptop (if one can call a lenovo W700 a laptop), used a win7 product key and the authentication was accepted had to create a microsoft account, refuse to give them all kind of info... arghhh I am now trying to put in the LENOVO...
  8. Command Prompt Not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt Not Opening: Recently attempting to open Command prompt, ordinary or as administrator, it flashes for perhaps 2 seconds and then disappears. I tried the following commands sfc /scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth But none of these seem to work, I'm wondering if there...
  9. Make Elevated Command Prompt open to %userprofile%

in Windows 10 Support
    Make Elevated Command Prompt open to %userprofile%: I have the Command Prompt icon on my Taskbar as I use it a lot. It's set to always run as Administrator, so when I launch it, the Command Prompt window opens to C:\Windows\system32. I want it to open to %userprofile% which is C:\Users\myaccountname. Has anyone found a...
  10. Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10: How to: Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10 [img] Information A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands in an elevated command prompt, you can perform tasks that require administrator rights on...