Windows 10: Can You Other SATA Drives Effect Your OS on the System Drive?

Discus and support Can You Other SATA Drives Effect Your OS on the System Drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've got this Asus H170 board computer running win10 that I've got a long history of problems with. And I've got an Asus H61-MK board computer running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by abrogard, Sep 24, 2019.

1. abrogard Win User

Can You Other SATA Drives Effect Your OS on the System Drive?

I've got this Asus H170 board computer running win10 that I've got a long history of problems with.
    And I've got an Asus H61-MK board computer running win10 that I never get troubles with.

A great puzzle.

I might have found a clue. This board, this computer, yesterday and the last few days was growing increasingly sick.. no task bar, running very slow... then went into boot errors, wouldn't boot, then repair computer said it couldn't be repaired and Kyhi and macrium fix boot issues didn't work..... chkdsk reported no problems... nothing I did would fix it....

Then I did what I should have done long ago and pulled all other SATA drives off to simplify things and just have the system drive there. (I left two USB drives there though).

It booted. And performed fairly well. And it is still doing it. I'm using it now.

After telling me it couldn't possibly boot because the 'system registry' was missing or corrupt and after previous error messages about the boot sector, etc..

One of those drives I pulled also had an old win10 instance on it. From a previous situation with th is computer.

Is this just a freaky coincidence or is it at all possible that your other SATA drives can somehow effect how your OS works?

The only possible effect i can think of is that SATA wants to boot from the first SATA drive so perhaps if the bad Win10 install was on SATA1 and the 'good' Win10 on SATA 2 then it has to leapfrog SATA1 to get to it. And perhaps picks up some confusion on the way.

A vague and tenuous connection but it's all I can think of.

When I screw up the courage I'll hang the old drives off it again and see if the problem comes back.

But does the idea have any merit that anyone knows about or conversely can it clearly and emphatically be ruled out?

:)

abrogard, Sep 24, 2019
  2. abrogard Win User

I've got this Asus H170 board computer running win10 that I've got a long history of problems with.
    And I've got an Asus H61-MK board computer running win10 that I never get troubles with.

A great puzzle.

I might have found a clue. This board, this computer, yesterday and the last few days was growing increasingly sick.. no task bar, running very slow... then went into boot errors, wouldn't boot, then repair computer said it couldn't be repaired and Kyhi and macrium fix boot issues didn't work..... chkdsk reported no problems... nothing I did would fix it....

Then I did what I should have done long ago and pulled all other SATA drives off to simplify things and just have the system drive there. (I left two USB drives there though).

It booted. And performed fairly well. And it is still doing it. I'm using it now.

After telling me it couldn't possibly boot because the 'system registry' was missing or corrupt and after previous error messages about the boot sector, etc..

One of those drives I pulled also had an old win10 instance on it. From a previous situation with th is computer.

Is this just a freaky coincidence or is it at all possible that your other SATA drives can somehow effect how your OS works?

The only possible effect i can think of is that SATA wants to boot from the first SATA drive so perhaps if the bad Win10 install was on SATA1 and the 'good' Win10 on SATA 2 then it has to leapfrog SATA1 to get to it. And perhaps picks up some confusion on the way.

A vague and tenuous connection but it's all I can think of.

When I screw up the courage I'll hang the old drives off it again and see if the problem comes back.

But does the idea have any merit that anyone knows about or conversely can it clearly and emphatically be ruled out?

abrogard, Sep 24, 2019
  3. little cat, Sep 24, 2019
  4. abrogard Win User

Thanks for those replies, guys. Excellent information.

It matches my experience, totally. I've long had this mystery: two machines each on Asus boards, both new, both with new win10 installs and each having a completely different history.

One is good. The other a long history of breakdowns.

I've just put my OS disk on SATA1 (which the system calls 'disk 0' - be nice if it were called SATA 0 wouldn't it?) and all is running fine now.

I've got left over OS hassles. The task bar doesn't complete its lineup of icons for a full two minutes after boot but I can live with that for a while.

So trying to make sense of it I'm surmising that on boot the system takes some information from the first drive it finds that information on. That'd be the first disk it finds a boot partition on I suppose, something like that.

It then carries on and finds the disk that is listed as the boot disk and tries to boot from it. Adding more information which it gets from this new disk - and continuing the process.

But the second lot of info doesn't match the first. Maybe something after the style of the first disk gave an address for some code and that code can't be found on the second disk at that address.

Like maybe the BCD. So the computer reports there is no BCD and it can't boot.

If you're lucky both disks have the code at the same address so it does work.

I don't know. I'd like to know.

But it is nice to have this much known: I'm not going mad, the SATA ports used do have an effect on the behaviour of the OS.

Can You Other SATA Drives Effect Your OS on the System Drive? :)

abrogard, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Can You Other SATA Drives Effect Your OS on the System Drive? - Similar Threads - SATA Drives Effect

2. How do you change your Primary Drive C: Drive to make other Drives your new Main one?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you change your Primary Drive C: Drive to make other Drives your new Main one?: Greetings, I recently bought 3 new Storage Disk with me due to my infinitesimal C: Drive. One being an SSD with a storage of 2TB, while the rest are HDDs with a storage of 10T. How do I swap on either of the three to the Primary Drive or Main Drive I have? I'm running low on...
  3. How do you change your Primary Drive C: Drive to make other Drives your new Main one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you change your Primary Drive C: Drive to make other Drives your new Main one?: Greetings, I recently bought 3 new Storage Disk with me due to my infinitesimal C: Drive. One being an SSD with a storage of 2TB, while the rest are HDDs with a storage of 10T. How do I swap on either of the three to the Primary Drive or Main Drive I have? I'm running low on...
  4. How do you change your Primary Drive C: Drive to make other Drives your new Main one?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SATA hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA hard drive: Hi, my WD Blue M.2 NVME SSD, where I store most of my data on my computer, has a blue question mark over it. It does not appear in hidden devices in device manager, and does not show up in disk management. It is not recognized anywhere except where it has the blue question...
  6. SATA drive issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SATA drive issues: I use a WD Black 6TB HDD SATA drive as a second drive for files not as a system drive. The operating system is on a M2 SSD. The drive has been working fine for a few weeks until I started getting an error message on startup saying that the $RECYCLE.BIN is corrupted. I get...
  7. Can You Use an Old Boot Drive for Your New System?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can You Use an Old Boot Drive for Your New System?: Hey everyone! So as it is the holiday season I’m looking into building a new rig(as I’m sure a whole lot of others are). And I just had a question. So I have an SSD that I made my boot drive/installed windows on it from a USB on my current rig when I had built it. I also...
  8. Moving OS to other drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving OS to other drive: Hello everyone, as the title says, I want to move the OS to another drive, but, I want to do that without removing the other files on it. I also wouldn't really like to reinstall WIndows, but if absolutely necessary, I will do that. Can anyone be of help for me?...
  9. SATA drives missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SATA drives missing: My PC has just installed the latest Windows 10 updates but 2 of my drives are now missing. There should be a SATA HDD and Blue Ray disc drive. They are showing in the BIOS but when I checked Device Manager they are hidden, when I checked properties they are showing as...
  10. Other files on an OS usb drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Other files on an OS usb drive?: I'm building a new machine and just used media creator to make a Win 10 USB drive on a 16gb flash drive. Can I store other files in folders or will that the system in some way? 104805