Windows 10: Can you recover backups from File History if you changed to a different user?

Discus and support Can you recover backups from File History if you changed to a different user? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently created a new user and transferred all my files from the old user. I deleted the old user files. I can no longer access the File History... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TomHarwell, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Can you recover backups from File History if you changed to a different user?

I recently created a new user and transferred all my files from the old user. I deleted the old user files. I can no longer access the File History from the old user. The old user name is still there. Is it possible to recover the File History from the old user? I have backed up the new user in File History. I guess I could setup the old user in some way and have access to the old user File History. I would like to get some insight on this problem. Thank you.

:)

TomHarwell, Aug 27, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Aug 27, 2019
  3. Windows 10: Difference between File history, and Backup and Restore

The title pretty much says it all. I've been going through the various backup options for windows, but I do not understand the difference between these two. They seem to have the same purpose in mind(backing up files, I've even read that file history was intended to replace backup and restore), except the former is automated and limited to what it can backup while the latter is manual but more comprehensive. Is this correct?

@downvote(s)
    I don't have any flash drives to try these methods myself, but I have been looking up/reading about these backup options myself. Here is what I know:

File history

• Was meant to replace backup and recovery
    • Only backups personal files/libraries
    • more user friendly/ streamlined

Backup and recover

• predecessor of file history, same basic idea
    • freedom to backup whatever files you want
    • option to create a system image

From what I've read I think both options can schedule automated backups, the only thing that really sticks out here to me is backup and recovery's option to create a system image. From this info I want to say that backup and recovery and file history do the same thing(backup files periodically), but backup and recovery can do more of the same. My question is, am I missing something here, Is there good reason to use file history over backup and restore besides ease-of-use?

user518967, Aug 27, 2019
  4. Can you recover backups from File History if you changed to a different user?

Backup/File History for Multi User HTPC PC

As I understand it, File History will regularly backup any changes to your files/folders. But you have to be logged in to the account in order for file history do its work. Since you only access the files remotely, it's a different story ( I guess).

Have you tried keeping all the users signed in to the HTPC - meaning don't sign out of their user profiles?

I am also thinking that, since you are on RAID 1 configuration, you don't really need File History. Not unless you wanted to save/backup different version of your files.

6a27b4c8-cc35-41ee-877a-d2e6419f87ca, Aug 27, 2019
Thema:

Can you recover backups from File History if you changed to a different user?

1. Can you recover backups from File History if you changed to a different user? - Similar Threads - recover backups File

2. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?: I am using Dropbox to backup my PC's external drive. It works fine for documents, but Dropbox won't sync with the "File History" folder that is maintained by Windows 10 on that drive by the File History backup utility. Per Dropbox's Help topics, "Folders named ToolKit and...
  3. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?: I am using Dropbox to backup my PC's external drive. It works fine for documents, but Dropbox won't sync with the "File History" folder that is maintained by Windows 10 on that drive by the File History backup utility. Per Dropbox's Help topics, "Folders named ToolKit and...
  4. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?: Apologies if this has been asked before...As I see there are three ways one can backup their files using the default options provided by windows...1. Backup and Restore Windows 7 - goodness know why this still exists or hasn't been updates since windows 7 2. 'Backup using...
  6. Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?: Apologies if this has been asked before...As I see there are three ways one can backup their files using the default options provided by windows...1. Backup and Restore Windows 7 - goodness know why this still exists or hasn't been updates since windows 7 2. 'Backup using...
  7. Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History: I've been using File History & generally like the way it works. However, if I open a Word file, e.g. Utilities.doc, Word also creates a temporary file, ~$ilities.doc. If I have it open for awhile, File History may back up this file also. Over time, I've found various files...
  9. how do you restore a file history backup on windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you restore a file history backup on windows 10: [ATTACH] what a mess! first there's this article, which isn't that old, which is apparently the 'missing manual': https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-correctly-use-file-history-to-transfer-data-files-to-a-new-windows-10-installation/ And that does not even...
  10. Using File History to recover files from a different machine

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Using File History to recover files from a different machine: Hi all, I would assume this should be simple, but I can't figure it out. I had File History turned on an old machine that I'd upgraded to Windows 10. The machine was working fine with File History backing up files to an external storage drive. The machine died recently...