Windows 10: Can you register an application that didn't have an installer?

Discus and support Can you register an application that didn't have an installer? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Can you register an application that didn't have an installer, i.e. an application that you simply unpacked from a zip file, so that it can be accessed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ricecrispies, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Can you register an application that didn't have an installer?

Can you register an application that didn't have an installer, i.e. an application that you simply unpacked from a zip file, so that it can be accessed from Explorer? I want to the unobtrusive Audacious to be the main sound player on my audio workstation, but since it wasn't installed from an installer, Explorer doesn't offer it as an option for opening sound files.

:)

ricecrispies, Apr 30, 2016
  2. p010111 Win User

Is there an application that you can write your own sentences for Text to speech?

Send a message to yourself.. and then go to your "inbox" and select the message and choose "listen"..

p010111, Apr 30, 2016
  3. dannyjjk Win User
    Is there an application that you can write your own sentences for Text to speech?

I have an N97 and I want to be able to write my own messages for the text to speech engine to read out, like on Windows. Is there an application available for this? Thank you in advance.

dannyjjk, Apr 30, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Can you register an application that didn't have an installer?

Yes.. use Open With.

Simply rt click on a file with the extension you wish to associate with your program.
    Click Open With.
    Now make sure you keep scrolling down until you get to Choose another app, More apps...
    Look for another app => browse to your program
    Tick the 'Always use...' check box

The icon for that file should change (assuming you started with a view showing icons)

N.B. A very useful utility for installing programs in a zip file with no installer (you can always zip it to do this of course if necessary) is
    Zipinstaller (free)
    by nirsofer.

This will 'install' it- i.e. create a start menu folder, an uninstall shortcut and entry, and place the program where you want.

dalchina, Apr 30, 2016
  5. 'Open with' doesn't work because the app doesn't have any entries in the registry because of the way it was installed.

I should say though that I found a way round my own problem by installing a different application that has the functionality I need, but maybe someone else will find useful if someone does know the answer.

ricecrispies, Apr 30, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    It does.. as I described, using Open With, you browse to the exe of the (portable program) and select it.

Using Open With like that you have to do exactly all the stages. Not just hope to find your prog listed- it won't be.

I used a portable program Photodemon recently and did just that. No registry entries.

dalchina, Apr 30, 2016
  7. Oh I see. The option to choose an app on the PC is buried quite a long way down, which is why I couldn't find it. Thanks for your help.

ricecrispies, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can you register an application that didn't have an installer?

1. Can you register an application that didn't have an installer? - Similar Threads - register application didn't

2. Can you have specific applications assigned to each new desktop ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you have specific applications assigned to each new desktop ?: I do many different things on my computer, and I want to customize each desktop for specific workflows. As far as I can find, you can only change the names and background images when using the multi-desktop feature. I want to have my video editing applications on one desktop,...
  3. Can you have specific applications assigned to each new desktop ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you have specific applications assigned to each new desktop ?: I do many different things on my computer, and I want to customize each desktop for specific workflows. As far as I can find, you can only change the names and background images when using the multi-desktop feature. I want to have my video editing applications on one desktop,...
  4. You are not registered as a Windows Insider

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You are not registered as a Windows Insider: I am attempting to leave as a Windows Insider.It is impossible to leave.I have tried it all to leave.If I click on leave Windows Insider Program in Settings/Windows Update, it takes me toa web page https://insider.windows.com/en-us/leave-programand I sign in and it states...
  5. You are not registered as a Windows Insider

You are not registered as a Windows Insider: I am attempting to leave as a Windows Insider.It is impossible to leave.I have tried it all to leave.If I click on leave Windows Insider Program in Settings/Windows Update, it takes me toa web page https://insider.windows.com/en-us/leave-programand I sign in and it states...
  6. CMD not registering installation

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    CMD not registering installation: Tried installation python 3.9 from Microsoft store itself but after successfull install its still redirecting me to store. Whenever I type python in CMD or powershell to verify....
  7. can you open windows applications in xming

in Windows 10 Customization
    can you open windows applications in xming: is there a way to make xming open windows applications within itself? i can open normal cmd, but that is the only windows .exe file i can open inside xming. is there a way to open .exe files inside of the xming environment, and is there a way to open ELEVATED cmd in the xming...
  8. Package can not register

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Package can not register: I bought a newer computer and was forced to switch to Windows 10 AKA worthless!!! anyway I was getting by with it until I put it online and Microsoft forced a update on me. Now I have no control of settings, I cannot open my pictures and most everything is messed up just as...
  9. Pick where you want to install - It looks like you don't have any applicable device(s)

Pick where you want to install - It looks like you don't have any applicable device(s): I was trying to download fortnite on my laptop and when I do it comes up with a message saying: Pick where you want to install - It looks like you don't have any applicable device(s) link o your Microsoft account. To install, sign in on a device with your Microsoft account....
  10. Do you really have to install applications on each profile?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Do you really have to install applications on each profile?: Hi, I upgraded from Windows 7 and, after finding my way round Windows 10, decided to create a new profile for my partner. However, not all of my programs have appeared in her profile. Picasa for example, isn't there. The only way around this I could think of was to install...