Windows 10: Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?

Discus and support Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames? in Cortana to solve the problem; Filenames including text and numbers requires two-handed search for trained typists. In Windows 7, I could find files using num pad with one hand when... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Les Funk1, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Les Funk1 Win User

Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?

Filenames including text and numbers requires two-handed search for trained typists. In Windows 7, I could find files using num pad with one hand when files were found using partial filenames.Is this possible in Windows 10?

:)

Les Funk1, Jan 17, 2023
  2. JeffCL Win User

Searching for a string within a filename in File Explorer

I want to search a folder for filenames that contain the word "Committee". When in File Explorer, I type "Committee" into the Search field and hit enter. It finds (highlights in yellow) files that start with "Committee" but not the ones where "Committee"
    is embedded in the file name. For example:

• "Committee-Mission-Roles-and-Responsibilities" = finds it and highlights "Committee" in yellow
    • "19510701ListClubCommitteesReportDirectorsBW" = Lists this file but does not highlight "Committee" in yellow
    • "20150526MinutesBoard" = Lists this file because the word "Committee" is in the text of the file.
    Is there a way to do a search that lists only filenames that contain the word "Committee"? I don't want files listed if the word "Committee" is not part of the filename.

Moved from ( Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage )

JeffCL, Jan 17, 2023
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 17, 2023
  4. OldW7Guy Win User

File Explorer Search fails wildcard partial numeric name search.

Wildcard Searches in a single folder that has less than 50 empty files with 10 character filenames and that does not have any subfolders work as expected. More characters in the filename will cause the Search to fail with fewer files. With fewer characters
    the Search will not fail until more than 50 files exist.

If subfolders exist then their contents affect Search failure. In testing I created a new folder and used “New Text Document” to create files with numeric names like: 1234567890.txt, 2345678901.txt etc. Using *2345 in the Search box every 10 or so files added,
    worked as expected listing all files that had 2345 as part of the name, but after the 50th file was added the Search results showed only files that started with 2345. These results continued with shorter searches like: *3 should have listed all 50 files but
    instead only listed files that started with the number 3.

I have rebuilt the Indexing Options many times including selecting only the test folder, which had no affect at all.

My actual filenames are quite long, all start with alpha acronyms or abbreviations followed by a dash, model and part number. There are over a thousand files in 8 sub folders. My real Searches are for a partial model number. This problem has cost me many
    hours of research and recreating what I thought were missing drawings and documents.

OldW7Guy, Jan 17, 2023
Thema:

1. Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames? - Similar Threads - search File Explorer

2. Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?: Filenames including text and numbers requires two-handed search for trained typists. In Windows 7, I could find files using num pad with one hand when files were found using partial filenames.Is this possible in Windows 10?...
  3. Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?: Filenames including text and numbers requires two-handed search for trained typists. In Windows 7, I could find files using num pad with one hand when files were found using partial filenames.Is this possible in Windows 10?...
  4. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  5. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  6. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 - File explorer not search part of a filename

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - File explorer not search part of a filename: I expect that if I type an expression into the search bar in File Explorer, which primarily displays file names, it will be searched in the names of files with the CONTAINS method and not just StartsWith method. I have read this, but the problem has not been resolved:...
  8. Searching exact filename, not partial

in Windows 10 Customization
    Searching exact filename, not partial: I have many files and few of them ends in two different ways. "[#Z Karaoke]" and "[Z Karaoke]" If I want to search only the "#Z Karaoke" but NOT show the "Z Karaoke" , How I do that? If I write "[#Z Karaoke]"or "[#Z", both file names, with the # and without the # comes...
  9. Can't search zip files by filename in explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't search zip files by filename in explorer?: Have a folder with a bunch of zip files, if I search the folder I get no results even though I can see the file names. Example: I search for "blue" And the files in the folder are: blue.zip red.zip green.zip There are no results. What's up? submitted by /u/wozmatic...
  10. Can't search partial filenames when search index is OFF

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't search partial filenames when search index is OFF: As an example ive made a folder with two folders "example1234" and "example-1234" and two files with the same names. "example1234.txt" and "example-1234.txt". Searching "ex" finds them all correctly. Searching "xa" finds nothing. Searching "123" finds only the folder...