Windows 10: Can you start a PC from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs?

Discus and support Can you start a PC from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can you start a PC or laptop from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs? I know how how to start a mac off an external hard drive with a bootable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rodion15, Sep 2, 2016.

1. rodion15 Win User

Can you start a PC from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs?

Can you start a PC or laptop from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs?

I know how how to start a mac off an external hard drive with a bootable OS X volume. I wonder if you can do the same with PCs and Windows 10.

:)

rodion15, Sep 2, 2016

2. Can a USB flash drive be formatted as a hard drive disk so its contents will be backed up with windows back up?

Thank you for responding. I am not using the flash drive for backup. I am using Windows 10 backup and want to include the files I have on my micro USB drive. I set up my libraries to save pictures and documents to save them to my USB flash drive which
    windows named D: USB drive. I back up to a portable USB hard drive. I set up backup to include the D: drive but when backup completes it says it did not back up D: because it is an invalid drive. Thank you.

roadside9105, Sep 2, 2016
  3. Can a USB flash drive be formatted as a hard drive disk so its contents will be backed up with windows back up?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

To better assist you, please answer the following questions:

1. How exactly are you trying to backup the files?

2. Are you trying to use the USB flash drive as the backup location?

If so, please be informed that you do have the option to choose the USB flash drive as the backup folder or location. Also you will have to format the flash drive in NTFS format for Windows to be able to use the flash drive as a back up drive.

For more information on Backing up files, I would suggest you to refer the help article below and check if it helps.

Back up and restore your files

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Sep 2, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Steve C, Sep 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Can you start a PC from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs? - Similar Threads - start USB hard

2. USB drive formats PC to MAC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB drive formats PC to MAC: Will a MacIntosh M1 Air accept a USB drive that has been formatted and contains files from a PC Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-drive-formats-pc-to-mac/e82ed4f8-ab8f-41b9-b896-24912d07b09b
  3. USB drive formats PC to MAC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drive formats PC to MAC: Will a MacIntosh M1 Air accept a USB drive that has been formatted and contains files from a PC Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-drive-formats-pc-to-mac/e82ed4f8-ab8f-41b9-b896-24912d07b09b
  4. USB drive formats PC to MAC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Files from Mac are not showing on external hard drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files from Mac are not showing on external hard drive in Windows 10: I have copied some folders from MacOS High Sierra to a Seagate HD (exFAT, 1TB). When opening the hard drive in Win10 the folders/files are not there, not even in hide mode. I had this same problem when my Seagate was formatted to NTFS, which Mac doesn't support without...
  6. can you not boot Windows installation from hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can you not boot Windows installation from hard drive?: If I have a laptop with free dos and my USB ports are broken is there any way that I can boot the installation directly from hard drive? Can I trick my computer into thinking the hard drive is a USB or something similar to that? Or do I have to resolder my USB? too new to...
  7. Creating a bootable USB drive from a Mac

Creating a bootable USB drive from a Mac: Hey everyone, need some help creating a bootable windows 10 USB drive with a MacBook Pro 2017 era. From what I’ve gathered I can’t use windows media creation tool, and boot camp assistant on my computer will not allow me to set my USB as the destination for the ISO files....
  8. Transfer Windows to a Mac but old PC Hard Drive is shot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows to a Mac but old PC Hard Drive is shot: Hello All and thank you in advance for your help. I recently got a Mac and before I could transfer everything my PC kicked rocks and I desperately need windows on my Mac to run a software that I use for my work. I did do a Carbonite backup from my PC which I can access...
  9. Can you access my main hard drive from a Windows to Go USB?

Can you access my main hard drive from a Windows to Go USB?: Long story short, my laptop won’t let me get into it due to a bad system config info error. This includes safe mode. My plan is to install Windows to a USB and hopefully access my files that are located on my main C drive. Can I do this using a Windows to Go USB? Also worth...
  10. Moving files from Mac-formatted external hard drive to PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving files from Mac-formatted external hard drive to PC: I have an external hard drive where I moved all of my mac photos to. I now have a PC with windows 10, but I can't find a way to save the photos onto my computer. The hard drive is recognized in disk management, but does not appear under devices. I would like to format it to...