Windows 10: Can you start a PC from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs?

Discus and support Can you start a PC from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can you start a PC or laptop from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs? I know how how to start a mac off an external hard drive with a bootable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rodion15, Sep 2, 2016.

1. rodion15 Win User

Can you start a PC from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs?

Can you start a PC or laptop from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs?

I know how how to start a mac off an external hard drive with a bootable OS X volume. I wonder if you can do the same with PCs and Windows 10.

:)

rodion15, Sep 2, 2016

2. Can a USB flash drive be formatted as a hard drive disk so its contents will be backed up with windows back up?

Thank you for responding. I am not using the flash drive for backup. I am using Windows 10 backup and want to include the files I have on my micro USB drive. I set up my libraries to save pictures and documents to save them to my USB flash drive which
    windows named D: USB drive. I back up to a portable USB hard drive. I set up backup to include the D: drive but when backup completes it says it did not back up D: because it is an invalid drive. Thank you.

roadside9105, Sep 2, 2016
  3. Can a USB flash drive be formatted as a hard drive disk so its contents will be backed up with windows back up?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

To better assist you, please answer the following questions:

1. How exactly are you trying to backup the files?

2. Are you trying to use the USB flash drive as the backup location?

If so, please be informed that you do have the option to choose the USB flash drive as the backup folder or location. Also you will have to format the flash drive in NTFS format for Windows to be able to use the flash drive as a back up drive.

For more information on Backing up files, I would suggest you to refer the help article below and check if it helps.

Back up and restore your files

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Sep 2, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Steve C, Sep 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Can you start a PC from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs? - Similar Threads - start USB hard

2. USB Hard Drive with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Hard Drive with Windows 10: I have a Western Digital Elements external USB drive and whenever I plug it in I have to manually assign it a letter, which in itself is frustrating but manageable. The real problem is if I disconnect the drive and plug it back in, I need to assign it again, however the...
  3. Can I move Windows 10 from a dead hard drive to a new drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I move Windows 10 from a dead hard drive to a new drive?: I purchased a refurbished computer that came with Windows 7 preinstalled. I upgraded to Windows 10 when the upgrade became available. I have made regular backups of my data, but not Windows itself. The hard drive just died. Is there a way to move my copy of Windows 10...
  4. Moving files from Mac-formatted external hard drive to PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving files from Mac-formatted external hard drive to PC: I have an external hard drive where I moved all of my mac photos to. I now have a PC with windows 10, but I can't find a way to save the photos onto my computer. The hard drive is recognized in disk management, but does not appear under devices. I would like to format it to...
  5. Can not connect to a remote PC from MAC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can not connect to a remote PC from MAC: I have 2 Macs. I'm on my home network, haven't set-tup a Remote Desktop Gateway and used 127.0.0.1 instead. Connecting from the first one to a Win 10 PC works fine, connection from the second with identical settings results in "We couldn't connect to the remote PC because...
  6. Copy ISO to USB from Mac

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Copy ISO to USB from Mac: My desktop's hard disk failed. I have bought a new one. I downloaded 64 bit windows 10 on my Mac. How to make bootable usb drive to install fresh version of windows 10?...
  7. Can a small hard drive converted to gpt & Can you format a virtual...?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can a small hard drive converted to gpt & Can you format a virtual...?: Can a small hard drive be converted to gpt & can you format a virtual drive as gpt with secure boot on? It looks like Microsoft is going to require Uefi enabled not sure about secure boot though for upgrade. I think that why I am had issues with build 10049. I am not using...
  8. Can you install Windows 10 on a USB stick?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can you install Windows 10 on a USB stick?: I often run Ubuntu Linux off of a USB onto which it has been installed. I'm just wondering, can you do the same with Windows 10 in that you install Windows 10 on a USB stick and then you can boot/run Windows 10 off the stick? Thank you 71021
  9. data removal from 10 hard drive on another pc

in Windows 10 Support
    data removal from 10 hard drive on another pc: How can you get say 7 or another 10 box to see the partitions on the hard drive with the crashed 10? I hook up the drive with external usb adapters and only thing I can see is the partition that isnt allocated. I have tried everthing on the drive system restore, boot up...
  10. Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC: Due to some tweaking with BIOS while trying for "Clean Install" I've lost the "Use a Device" & "Use another Operating System" options in the "Advanced Start Up". How to restore the same ? I am using UEFI BIOS of American MegaTrends, 217. I've just installed Win 10 Creators...