Windows 10: Can you still use Windows 7/8 keys for Windows 10?

Discus and support Can you still use Windows 7/8 keys for Windows 10? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Looking at new laptops and a lot of them ship with Windows 10 Home. Rather than pay to upgrade to Pro, I have an unused Windows 8 Pro key. Can those... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/UltravioletClearance, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Can you still use Windows 7/8 keys for Windows 10?

Looking at new laptops and a lot of them ship with Windows 10 Home. Rather than pay to upgrade to Pro, I have an unused Windows 8 Pro key. Can those keys still be "upgraded" to Windows 10? I would like to be able to use the Linux subsystem and Hyper-V which are unavailable on Home versions.

submitted by /u/UltravioletClearance
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/UltravioletClearance, Feb 15, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Feb 15, 2020
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Feb 15, 2020
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Can you still use Windows 7/8 keys for Windows 10?

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

Can you still use Windows 7/8 keys for Windows 10?

1. Can you still use Windows 7/8 keys for Windows 10? - Similar Threads - still keys

2. computer asks for bitlock key, typed in and still does not want to run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer asks for bitlock key, typed in and still does not want to run: I get the bitlocker id key request and place that in, then my computer goes into recovery mode and just spins no options to do anything else...
  3. computer asks for bitlock key, typed in and still does not want to run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer asks for bitlock key, typed in and still does not want to run: I get the bitlocker id key request and place that in, then my computer goes into recovery mode and just spins no options to do anything else...
  4. If I buy a new product key for windows 7 enterprise can I still activate my version of windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I buy a new product key for windows 7 enterprise can I still activate my version of windows: A work computer is using win7 enterprise sp1 but the hard drive died and got replaced now it is asking for activation every 30 secs. There are a few place online still selling product keys for it. If I get one can I activate it? It may be a prior upgrade from xp. No we can't...
  5. If I buy a new product key for windows 7 enterprise can I still activate my version of windows

If I buy a new product key for windows 7 enterprise can I still activate my version of windows: A work computer is using win7 enterprise sp1 but the hard drive died and got replaced now it is asking for activation every 30 secs. There are a few place online still selling product keys for it. If I get one can I activate it? It may be a prior upgrade from xp. No we can't...
  6. Purchased windows 11pro from Microsoft account still product key channel is showing Retail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Purchased windows 11pro from Microsoft account still product key channel is showing Retail: Recently I purchased a laptop which doesn't have pre installed windows 11pro and so we purchased and installed which is original from the retail shop. My company wants me purchase from Microsoft Store, so we purchased windows 11pro which came with a product key and I have...
  7. Purchased windows 11pro from Microsoft account still product key channel is showing Retail

Purchased windows 11pro from Microsoft account still product key channel is showing Retail: Recently I purchased a laptop which doesn't have pre installed windows 11pro and so we purchased and installed which is original from the retail shop. My company wants me purchase from Microsoft Store, so we purchased windows 11pro which came with a product key and I have...
  8. Bitlocker Keys Still Inaccessible

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Keys Still Inaccessible: Hi!When will the Bitlocker recovery key page become accessible again? As of January 2024, and seemingly since November of 2023, accessing the page returns a Trace ID and an error when signed in.Thanks....
  9. Bitlocker Keys Still Inaccessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Keys Still Inaccessible: Hi!When will the Bitlocker recovery key page become accessible again? As of January 2024, and seemingly since November of 2023, accessing the page returns a Trace ID and an error when signed in.Thanks....
  10. Bitlocker Keys Still Inaccessible