Windows 10: Can you totally disable 'one drive' I can't find my files on my laptop apparently because of it

Discus and support Can you totally disable 'one drive' I can't find my files on my laptop apparently because of it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently 'upgraded' to Win 10. I copied over some data files including my documents folder. I have noticed two things very different from Win 8.1.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Employee13, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Can you totally disable 'one drive' I can't find my files on my laptop apparently because of it

I recently 'upgraded' to Win 10. I copied over some data files including my documents folder.

I have noticed two things very different from Win 8.1.

First,

For some reason the OS seems to think that every folder I open needs to automatically be put into the Quick Access listings. This of course is not what I want and I have to continually remove them from this listing.

Not a handy feature, in fact not a good feature at all.

Second, and this is the biggie

I have never used any kind of a cloud for storage. For some reason Win 10 seems to think that some folders and files should go there without my knowledge.

I expect to find folders and files in the explorer function which I can move and edit with no problems as I've been doing for years. Now my 'documents' folder under the Drive C\users\name\documents is empty and all of the folders and files are in the quick access section are all all on One Drive. My ability to edit/move/ etc has been impaired. (Ok, so some of you are perfectly happy with OD and you've been using it for 'free' storage for remote access) I don't need those things and obviously don't want them.

One more thing: about Quick Access

Why do folders seem to go there whenever I open them for editing?

This is a huge change for me. I don't have time for a week of training everytime these OS changes are made. I am not a computer geek and don't want to be.

Can I somehow determine not to use One Drive? The computer already has it as being used. I want those files on my computer not in a cloud. I don't want to lose those files. Having files in more than one place seems downright a bad idea even if they are synchronized or whatever.

Just another way usoft wants to extract more money from people - entice them with a free taste then make them subscribe.

A lot of questions here, hope I can get some of then answered.

:)

Employee13, Oct 11, 2019

2. Disabling laptop keyboard

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per the description. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you follow the steps below and check if that helps:

• Press Windows + X and select
      Device Manager
      from the list.
    • Find Keyboards in the list of devices and click the arrow to expand it.
    • Right-click on the internal keyboard and click Disable. If there is no Disable option listed, click
      Uninstall.
    • Click File>Exit. Your laptop’s internal keyboard should now be disabled.
    Note: If you had to choose Uninstall instead of Disable in step 4, the keyboard will be automatically detected and re-installed if you ever have the Device Manager scan for new hardware for some reason. If that happens you’ll need to repeat this procedure
    in order to uninstall it again.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 11, 2019
  3. gypsycomp Win User
    showing the total of folders/files in drive root

Properties are shown differently for folders and roots.
    Root properties only shows used and free space.
    Folder properties shows Size, Size on Disk, number of files/folders.
    Questions:
    1 - How can I discover on the root drive the total of folders and files on drive?
    2 - Better, how could I list the number of files within each folder?
    3 - Even better, how could I list the total of subfolders and files at each level within the tree branches?

gypsycomp, Oct 11, 2019
  4. Aaron_Sum Win User

Can you totally disable 'one drive' I can't find my files on my laptop apparently because of it

HP Stream Laptop

Hi there,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

1. May I know the version of Windows that you are using?
    2. What is the total hard disk space of your laptop?

I would suggest you to take a backup of all your user data, after which you can try and perform the steps to

Free up drive space in Windows 10
    . Check if that helps.

Please get back to us if you need any further suggestions.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

Can you totally disable 'one drive' I can't find my files on my laptop apparently because of it

1. Can you totally disable 'one drive' I can't find my files on my laptop apparently because of it - Similar Threads - totally disable 'one

2. My one drive is a total nightmare!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My one drive is a total nightmare!: I spend hours and hours deleting duplicates and garbage GIF **** from Wild Tangent games, H and R Block etc............ Please Help I delete them and it puts them right back?...
  3. My one drive is a total nightmare!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My one drive is a total nightmare!: I spend hours and hours deleting duplicates and garbage GIF **** from Wild Tangent games, H and R Block etc............ Please Help I delete them and it puts them right back?...
  4. ONE DRIVE-I want it TOTALLY OFF/and IN of my computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ONE DRIVE-I want it TOTALLY OFF/and IN of my computer: ONE DRIVE-can't get rid of it and it is holding my genealogy program hostage to One Drive. I originally downloaded the "free" version and One Drive just started uploading photos and documents and of course, after the 1st free 15 GB....I received message to pay money to get...
  5. ONE DRIVE-I want it TOTALLY OFF/and IN of my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ONE DRIVE-I want it TOTALLY OFF/and IN of my computer: ONE DRIVE-can't get rid of it and it is holding my genealogy program hostage to One Drive. I originally downloaded the "free" version and One Drive just started uploading photos and documents and of course, after the 1st free 15 GB....I received message to pay money to get...
  6. ONE DRIVE-I want it TOTALLY OFF/and IN of my computer

7. can't find one drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can't find one drive: I'm new to MacBook and I can't see my one drive. How do I find it? I do have a Microsoft account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-one-drive/6dc89000-2fb8-4c38-bc85-bbfb1b52ac2b
  8. I can't find my Adobe reader. Can you help?

I can't find my Adobe reader. Can you help?: Can you help me get my Adobe PDF reader back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-my-adobe-reader-can-you-help/9b3754ed-7772-4f47-850a-dc9aeaa119ac
  9. How can I find my password to one drive?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How can I find my password to one drive?: How can I find my password to one drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-find-my-password-to-one-drive/0c79165c-84a6-4cab-957c-e3b5b8af04b4
  10. cannot find my file in one drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cannot find my file in one drive: I saved a file to one drive from my laptop yesterday, but I can't find my file in one drive from my desktop. Why is that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-find-my-file-in-one-drive/7af4dd02-2d07-4da7-a9e5-9d11b04c15a7