Windows 10: Can you transfer License from a dead computer to another machine

Discus and support Can you transfer License from a dead computer to another machine in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had just installed W10 to an older Silverstone home built desktop just to make use of it somehow. I used a key my son had purchased as a 2 key set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JohnVere, Jan 22, 2021.

1. JohnVere Win User

Can you transfer License from a dead computer to another machine

I had just installed W10 to an older Silverstone home built desktop just to make use of it somehow. I used a key my son had purchased as a 2 key set and hadn't used. This didn't workout as the machine is too old and a lot of the hardware is not supported. It is working but not very well. I will just scrap it.

But I was hoping to transfer the wasted W10 key to a Acer Laptop a friend had given me because it was dead. It came with W8.0 and the license key on the bottom is unreadable. The first owner failed to write this down or create a recovery disk. A recovery disk is $70 from Acer. The hard drive it came with wouldn't boot so therefore a new hard drive and W10.

I see on my MS account page under My Devices both computers. I don't see an obvious way to de activate the Silverstone and active the Acer. I do see that I can "Remove" the Silverstone.

So my question is if I choose the Remove option will that de activate the Silverstone freeing up the license to use on the Acer?

Thank you for your time.

:)

JohnVere, Jan 22, 2021

2. transfer the license from a dead computer

Hello TerrenceBlunt,

My Name is Paul one of the Community Advisor and a Microsoft Consumer like you. I do understand that you wanted to transfer a License of a dead computer to another computer and first there are 2 type of license for Home Consumers. OEM and RETAIL. If your windows
    7 is a OEM Type of License then its not transferable to another pc because the License is tied up to the motherboard when it was activated on the other hand Retail is Transferable to another computer.

You can Identify your Machine Old PC if it is OEM if you can still remember that it do have a preinstalled Windows 7 during the time that you bought it. Retail is whenever you buy the License Physically with a box and License Code..

I hope it make some clarification for you if you will be able to transfer the License or not.

Regards,

Paul_Mykel, Jan 22, 2021
  3. Digital License after transfer license to new computer

Uninstalling a product key does not deactivate the license, there is actually no deactivation method. You would still need to contact support to actually invalidate the license on the old machine, so it can reactivate on the new machine.

Transferring the license is a step by step process.

First, you either remove the license from the machine by formatting it.

Install it on the new machine.

Contact chat support, then reactivate.

Where Digital license is handy is when you are still using the machine and reinstall Windows 10 and need to reactivate the license after a significant hardware change, such as a hard disk.

Learn more:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-window...

Andre Da Costa, Jan 22, 2021
  4. Can you transfer License from a dead computer to another machine

Transferring license from a dead computer to a working computer

Hi everyone

I would like to ask if i can transfer my old windows 10 license to a working computer. My old computer seems to be dead and all of my data in the hard drive isnt possible for recovery. So if ever possible, i want to transfer my windows license to a working
    computer since that both my hard drive and the motherboard are fried. If so, how can i recover my windows 10 pro license to be able to register in a working computer. I got the reactivation license when i tried to change the motherboard that i brought and
    it works after contacting microsoft support. The license is linked to my account so im wondering if it is possible.

maki palino, Jan 22, 2021
Thema:

Can you transfer License from a dead computer to another machine

1. Can you transfer License from a dead computer to another machine - Similar Threads - transfer License dead

2. Can I transfer a digital license from one computer to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I transfer a digital license from one computer to another?: I tried searching for a solution but found nothing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-transfer-a-digital-license-from-one-computer/2db3ef70-e5b0-45fd-bbb9-6eae11129d8a
  3. Can I transfer a digital license from one computer to another?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I transfer a digital license from one computer to another?: I tried searching for a solution but found nothing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-transfer-a-digital-license-from-one-computer/2db3ef70-e5b0-45fd-bbb9-6eae11129d8a
  4. Transfer license to another computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer license to another computer: Hello! I recently moved to another country and left my desktop computer. I have laptop, i installed windows and want to transfer the license from old one wich i don't have access to to new laptop. I removed the old computer, which has a valid licensed copy of windows, and i...
  5. Transfer license to another computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer license to another computer: Hello! I recently moved to another country and left my desktop computer. I have laptop, i installed windows and want to transfer the license from old one wich i don't have access to to new laptop. I removed the old computer, which has a valid licensed copy of windows, and i...
  6. Transfer license to another computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. transfer the license from a dead computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer the license from a dead computer: I have a windows 7 computer that had my license Mircosoft Office on it . How can I transfer it to my new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-the-license-from-a-dead-computer/4e07af5e-7cca-448f-b71b-b746d052624d
  8. Dead motherboard, new machine, can digital license be transferred (if so, how?)

Dead motherboard, new machine, can digital license be transferred (if so, how?): Windows Pro purchased from MS Store and installed on a HP machine without media, properly registered via digital licensing process. That computer’s motherboard has now failed, making it impossible to boot or otherwise access the info on it. I have purchased a new computer -...
  9. Transferring license from a dead computer to a working computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring license from a dead computer to a working computer: Hi everyone I would like to ask if i can transfer my old windows 10 license to a working computer. My old computer seems to be dead and all of my data in the hard drive isnt possible for recovery. So if ever possible, i want to transfer my windows license to a working...
  10. Transfer license from the dead

Transfer license from the dead: My laptop died, as in the cylinders were ratting around. Idiot me tossed it before it dawned on me that I might not get full windows 10 on my new laptop. Which turned out to be a Surface - it comes with Windows 10 S (which seems to be a 'we want to protect you from...