Windows 10: Can you use a built in fingerprint reader with a password instead of a pin?

Discus and support Can you use a built in fingerprint reader with a password instead of a pin? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is this possible? Or are you forced to use a password? submitted by /u/CaudatusSR [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/CaudatusSR, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Can you use a built in fingerprint reader with a password instead of a pin?

Is this possible? Or are you forced to use a password?

submitted by /u/CaudatusSR
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/CaudatusSR, Mar 17, 2021
  2. Mike1951 Win User

Prefer Fingerprint Reader use Password Instead of PIN

I just purchased a modest Toshiba laptop to replace my five year old HP laptop. Being new to W10, I am not impressed with and do not trust the use of a PIN rather than a sophisticated password.

The USB reader I bought for the Toshiba is an Eikon using Authentec driver. I dislike the apparent limitation of Windows Hello to only associate the fingerprint reader with the PIN. But my real issue is that this prevents my using the FP reader to also open my password program.

On my HP laptop, I have this capability with SimplePass. I actually attempted to install HP's SimplePass on the Toshiba, but it would not install.

Unless I'm overlooking a way to do this with W10, I'm looking for a utility that will store password(s) for use by the FP reader both for logon and accessing, at the minimum, my password program.

I do not wish to change the password for my password program to the Hello PIN just to achieve the dual function.

Any enlightenment and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike1951, Mar 17, 2021
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Can I use a Fingerprint Security Reader with NO Win 10 Password?

But he doesn't want to use the fingerprint reader to sign in to Windows with. He wants the fingerprint reader to sign into LastPass with, which stores passwords for websites. He would go to a website requiring a password, LastPass then asks for a master password, which he would swipe his finger to provide, then LastPass provides the password to the website. As far as I know, there is no requirement to use the fingerprint reader to sign into Windows with in order to use the fingerprint reader with LastPass.

NavyLCDR, Mar 17, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Can you use a built in fingerprint reader with a password instead of a pin?

Can I use a Fingerprint Security Reader with NO Win 10 Password?

Only if the fingerprint reader has its own software that it uses to sign in to Windows with, otherwise you would need to have a password and PIN to use Windows Hello with the fingerprint reader.

Be sure to check that the fingerprint reader supports Windows 10 to be able to use it for Windows Hello.

Brink, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

Can you use a built in fingerprint reader with a password instead of a pin?

1. Can you use a built in fingerprint reader with a password instead of a pin? - Similar Threads - built fingerprint reader

2. Disable password and use PIN instead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable password and use PIN instead: Hello,On this documentation page it's explained why Windows Hello PIN is more secure than regular Microsoft Account password. I understand the security reasons and would like to act on this advice, so I set up Windows Hello. Unfortunately, this only created a second way to...
  3. Use Password Instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use Password Instead of PIN: I've always used a password to sign in to Windows but recently Windows forced me to change to a numerical PIN. I have tried to change it back by going to "Sign-in options" but there is no option to come up with a password. I tried to select "Windows Hello PIN" but it says...
  4. Use Password Instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use Password Instead of PIN: I've always used a password to sign in to Windows but recently Windows forced me to change to a numerical PIN. I have tried to change it back by going to "Sign-in options" but there is no option to come up with a password. I tried to select "Windows Hello PIN" but it says...
  5. Use Password Instead of PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  6. use password instead of pin?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    use password instead of pin?: hey, i have reinstalled windows on my sys and now instead of a password it asks me to set a pin for login?is there a way i can disable the pin and use password as a login method?piyushagarwal3...
  7. Using password instead of Pin after X fingerprint failures

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Using password instead of Pin after X fingerprint failures: Hello Guys, I have the same question and want to know if there is a new update on this topic? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/use-password-instead-of-pin-after-three/8e037631-9a4a-4ec7-b712-bc88020ec0a7 Is there still no password after...
  8. Use PIN instead of Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Use PIN instead of Password: I have two MS accounts. One is password/PIN protected and is Administrator also. The other frequently used is only Password protected. I tried to give a PIN which is not accepted. * Moved from MSN [Original Title: PIN INSTEAD PW]...
  9. Prefer Fingerprint Reader use Password Instead of PIN

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Prefer Fingerprint Reader use Password Instead of PIN: I just purchased a modest Toshiba laptop to replace my five year old HP laptop. Being new to W10, I am not impressed with and do not trust the use of a PIN rather than a sophisticated password. The USB reader I bought for the Toshiba is an Eikon using Authentec driver. I...
  10. Can I use a Fingerprint Security Reader with NO Win 10 Password?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can I use a Fingerprint Security Reader with NO Win 10 Password?: My wife wanted me to look into Fingerprint Scanners and I see a KByte Fingerprint Security Reader for $12. People have said that on 64 bit Win 10 Pro no drivers are needed and that they are built in to the OS. But, can we add this to only use with LastPass without having a...