Windows 10: Can You Use an Old Boot Drive for Your New System?

Discus and support Can You Use an Old Boot Drive for Your New System? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey everyone! So as it is the holiday season I’m looking into building a new rig(as I’m sure a whole lot of others are). And I just had a question. So... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/hussitheboy, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Can You Use an Old Boot Drive for Your New System?

Hey everyone!

So as it is the holiday season I’m looking into building a new rig(as I’m sure a whole lot of others are). And I just had a question. So I have an SSD that I made my boot drive/installed windows on it from a USB on my current rig when I had built it. I also have a retail version of Windows that is linked to my account, thus my OS isn’t tied with any of my hardware (like my motherboard). I was just wondering, if I would just be able to use the same SSD, with all of the other data I have on it to boot off of for my new system when I do build it? Or would I have to do a clean install and find a way to continue using that SSD with all the other data on it as well. Would love some answers and if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

submitted by /u/hussitheboy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/hussitheboy, Nov 26, 2020
  2. xarzu Win User

new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Nov 26, 2020
  3. GlynParry Win User
    Old Hard drive to new hard drive

I now have my old hard drive converted to an external drive and am wondering what is the best way to move files from the old to the new. I was thinking of booting the old drive and saving the files I want to the cloud and then downloading them to my new
    computer. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

GlynParry, Nov 26, 2020
  4. Can You Use an Old Boot Drive for Your New System?

Can't boot from new drive

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not following you...

• What are you suggesting I unplug? Other USB devices? Done, but made no difference. (Ethernet? Monitors? Don't think that'll help.)
    • Not sure I understand your partitioning advice?
    • Also unclear about SSD drivers; if there was a driver issue, wouldn't it had failed to work at all? (As mentioned, I am able to boot Windows from the new drive as long as the old one is still plugged in...and it works just fine as a secondary drive.)

Touchdown4308, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

Can You Use an Old Boot Drive for Your New System?

1. Can You Use an Old Boot Drive for Your New System? - Similar Threads - Old Boot Drive

2. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive: I built a new PC recently and got a new m.2 SSD Which is my new boot drive/ :C Drive. I was wondering if it was safe to take my old PC :C Drive and put it in my new one and wipe it? Will this cause any issues since there would be two drives with windows installed on them?...
  3. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive: I built a new PC recently and got a new m.2 SSD Which is my new boot drive/ :C Drive. I was wondering if it was safe to take my old PC :C Drive and put it in my new one and wipe it? Will this cause any issues since there would be two drives with windows installed on them?...
  4. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can you change your wallpaper with a free version in a boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can you change your wallpaper with a free version in a boot drive: I’m going to build a pc in less than a week and this isn’t the most necessary thing but I want to change the background and idk if you can do it on a free version on a flash drive. Thx in advance:) submitted by /u/pcnerd_51524 [link] [comments]...
  6. Use old win 10 drive to boot new pc

Use old win 10 drive to boot new pc: Hello, so my old PC died and I'm getting my new one tomorrow. I had no chance to save data from my old PC and I don't have another drive right now. So I would like to know if it's possible to boot the new pc from my old win. 10 drive just so save some data and then I would...
  7. Put old boot drive in new computer

Put old boot drive in new computer: So I pulled an old windows 10 boot drive out of a computer and put it in a new build. It won't let me access the user file on that drive. Says "you currently don't have permission to access this folder - click continue to permanently get access to this folder". I click...
  8. New system old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New system old hard drive?: Hi, I'm building a new system soon, but I have a question. I just have this hard drive with Windows on it and keep the old drivers and everything. How can I avoid a new installation of Windows now? Can I just uninstall all the old drivers and integrate them into the new...
  9. Can You Other SATA Drives Effect Your OS on the System Drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can You Other SATA Drives Effect Your OS on the System Drive?: I've got this Asus H170 board computer running win10 that I've got a long history of problems with. And I've got an Asus H61-MK board computer running win10 that I never get troubles with. A great puzzle. I might have found a clue. This board, this computer, yesterday and...
  10. Can not mount old Gateway Boot / File Drive in New HP

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can not mount old Gateway Boot / File Drive in New HP: My old Gateway failed. Today I purchased a new HP Pavilion 570-p023w. It sees my two USB 1 T drives straight away. I put the old Gateway boot/ file drive a 500 gig Seagate Barracuda Sata in a Rrosewill RX308. external USB enclosure. The HP does not recognize it. What do...