Windows 10: Can you write-block a specific USB drive in Windows 10 (and not block others)?

Discus and support Can you write-block a specific USB drive in Windows 10 (and not block others)? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is there any method in Windows 10, to protect one USB drive or SD card from accidental writing (make it read only), while allowing writing to other USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by siphonsiphon, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Can you write-block a specific USB drive in Windows 10 (and not block others)?

Is there any method in Windows 10, to protect one USB drive or SD card from accidental writing (make it read only), while allowing writing to other USB drives or SD cards?

I used to do this with registry keys in Windows 7 while running backups:

- USB drive A (destination drive) is writable

- USB drive B (source drive) is write-blocked

But I can't figure out how to do this in Windows 10 (my Windows 7 registry keys tactic doesn't seem to work.)

:)

siphonsiphon, Jul 21, 2019

2. How to block a specific app using family settings

Hi,

Blocking specific apps is possible with the Microsoft Account's Family Safety Feature. To block a specific application on your child's account, it is a requirement that the app must be used by your child, so that it will appear in under the Recent Activity
    list. For your child's security, you can log in as the child and launch the app to satisfy this requirement.

Follow these steps to successfully block specific applications:

• Visit the Microsoft Family website and then sign in your Microsoft Account.
    • Click the account of the child that you want to block from using an app.
    • Select Recent Activity.
    • Click to ensure that Activity Reporting is turned on.
    • Scroll down and look for Apps & Games.
    • Choose the apps that you want to block on your child's account.
    • Click Block to block usage of the app.

If further assistance is needed, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Darleen Pen, Jul 21, 2019
  3. block cookies from specific websites windows 10

Hi Maxine,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

What is the browser you are working on?

Internet Explorer provides many different ways to control the cookies that are stored on your computer. You can block or allow cookies or you can choose the specific sites that you'll accept cookies from. When you make these sorts of changes, the cookies
    that are already stored on your computer will not be affected. For that reason, you might want to delete the cookies already stored on your computer before following the steps below:

Block or allow cookies from specific websites

• Open Internet Explorer. Click on the gear icon on the top right hand corner.

• Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

• Click the Privacy tab, and then move the slider to a position between the top and bottom so you are not blocking or allowing all cookies.

• Click Sites.

• In the Address of website box, type a website address, and then click
      Block or Allow.

As you type, a list of webpages that you have already visited will be displayed. You can click an item in the list and it will be displayed in the
      Address of website box.

• Repeat step 5 for each website you want to block or allow. When you are finished, click
      OK.

• Move the slider back to the position it was originally in, and then click
      OK.

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, we are happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jul 21, 2019
  4. Can you write-block a specific USB drive in Windows 10 (and not block others)?

Can users burn files from a write-blocked external hard drive to CD/DVD/Blu-ray?

Hello,

I have a hardware write blocker, which write blocks hard drives. Will it carry its write-blocking attributes if users can burn files from a write-blocked external hard drive?

So far, from write-blocked USB drives, it does not permit to perform the same tasks.

JohnPallino, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

Can you write-block a specific USB drive in Windows 10 (and not block others)?

1. Can you write-block a specific USB drive in Windows 10 (and not block others)? - Similar Threads - write block specific

2. How do you block specific file extensions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you block specific file extensions?: Is there a way to block specific file extensions via software or other non-complicated means?Id also like to restrict other users from accessing zip files on said computerthanksThis is windows 11 running latest update....
  3. How do you block specific file extensions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you block specific file extensions?: Is there a way to block specific file extensions via software or other non-complicated means?Id also like to restrict other users from accessing zip files on said computerthanksThis is windows 11 running latest update....
  4. Blocking a Specific Driver with a GPO?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blocking a Specific Driver with a GPO?: Hello,Does anyone know if it is possible to disable a specific driver for an entire organization? My org is trying to make sure all devices have the Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio disabled since it is causing issues with our Logitech Rally System. We are currently...
  5. RDP Blocked for Specific Site

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP Blocked for Specific Site: I am trying to figure out why a specific IP site is getting rejected. I have the port 5631 open for RDP sessions. Multiple locations have no issues connecting. When one office tries to connect they are not allowed thorugh the firewall. However they have been and there has not...
  6. How to block a specific windows update?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to block a specific windows update?: My PC worked fine. I went away for a few days. I came back and 2 updates applied KB45653351 and KB45653751. My pc now randomly hangs. I get a bing sound, and that's it, everything stops responding. If I try and uninstall either or both of those updates, the re-apply...
  7. Block Videos On USB/Hard Drive on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Block Videos On USB/Hard Drive on Windows 10: Hello everyone, I have a SEAGATE 1TB portable Drive and i want to block the drive from video file formats. As i and giving this to my relatives they constantly watch movies that they download and save on Hard Drives or USB. So anybody have any ideas on how to block video...
  8. Best method for write-blocking *specific USB drives* in Windows 10, while permitting others?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Best method for write-blocking *specific USB drives* in Windows 10, while permitting others?: Is there any good, approved, reliable method in Windows 10, to do this?: - USB drive A is writable - USB drive B is write-blocked I used to do this in Windows 7 with a registry key while doing backups. But I haven't yet figured out how to do it in Windows 10....
  9. Best method for USB write blocking on Windows 10? StorageDevicePolicies/WriteProtect no...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Best method for USB write blocking on Windows 10? StorageDevicePolicies/WriteProtect no...: One thing I do in Windows 7 all the time, is turn USB write blocking on and off. I do this with a shell command that sets this registry toggle on and off: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies\WriteProtect As I understand it, this is...
  10. Block other users on Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Block other users on Windows 10: I di not allow other users on my device. Block and delete all data how do I do this? * Moved from Insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/block-other-users-on-windows-10/4f4804e4-5575-451f-b9cb-8df6ca0d820d"