Windows 10: Can your neighbours stop your WiFi

Discus and support Can your neighbours stop your WiFi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I keep losing WiFi and it's for a couple of hours at a time. I have just had a ferurbished superhub delivered. Engineer never checked outside. But I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hollyoaks777, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Can your neighbours stop your WiFi

I keep losing WiFi and it's for a couple of hours at a time. I have just had a ferurbished superhub delivered. Engineer never checked outside. But I bet it's absolutely fine. After 5 days of fighting to get an engineer out I still have the problem.

The first day I kept telling the woman there was a fault in the area. She persisted there was none by this time we had moved into the bedroom. She said it's like driving under a bridge or being below electricity cables. I said I know but I have never had any problems in my bedroom before. On this channel and I disagree with what you are saying .

After that she said I am going onto chirdy network to get a second line test and I was right it's been fixed and I am still losing WiFi. Upstairs is with Virgin media there are 4 of them at uni. I don't know what they study but they! Don't talk to me after flooding me twice.......... I never asked for a penny off them either.

But I seriously think they are behind the WiFi problem. They've not long started university. Is it possible for them to stop my WiFi happens on all my wireless devices and I am at end of my tether with it. Is it possible at all?

:)

hollyoaks777, Mar 16, 2016

2. Wifi wep key breaker

so what you want is to hack your neighbours wifi so you can log onto it? We won't help you with that. Be a nice person and ask your dear neighbour if he can be so kind and let you log onto his network.

Fender77---01, Mar 16, 2016
  3. connecting to every wifi available - how do you switch it off - windows 10

I cannot stop my computer from trying to access my neighbours wifi - I have unclicked connect on neighbours wifi names several times - but windows 10 seems to override this.

It is causing problems with my own wifi connection. I'm not a programmer - so cannot 'code' my way out of this.

I have visited the wifi settings in Control panel /Network sharing center and it only shows my home wifi - there is no dismiss all other wifi in area option.

I don't want to stop auto connecting to my home network - I just want to leave my eight neighbours wifi out of the equation!!

Any advice please?

StephBolton, Mar 16, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Can your neighbours stop your WiFi

Hi there

Switch to a different channel -- particularly if you are on a 2.4GHZ Wifi connection -- contention with people on the same channel can slow it down considerably.

On 2.4 GHZ if you can select Wideband (40 MHZ) rather than standard 20 Mhz and choose something like channel 11, 12. Typical type cable routers use channels 1,2 and 6 a lot.

Change password etc so they can't login in as well -- also you can set it so they can only gain access to Wifi at certan specific hours.

If you've got 4 or 5 people downloading latest movies at 1080p or even using TV catch up series - your wifi will be killed -- while the CABLE to your house might be capable of delivering up to 300 Mb/s or more your internal wifi will be considerably less than that - especially with older computers with lower quality wireless cards.

No too sure about quality of Broadband in the UK these days - but I've usually heard nothing but BAD things about Virgin media -- I'd switch to SKY or BT or even Talk Talk -- you probably will get a cheaper deal too

My last memories of Virgin Media was that even a trivial enquiry meant a huge long wait to a HIDEOUS Indian Call centre - where I couldn't understand the person at the other end anyway. SKY at least had its call centres in Scotland -- not quite as incomprehensible as the Indian one though.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 17, 2016
  5. I was on the phone for the last time after I posted this last night I have been on every single channel. I said to the guy after explaining again. Are you going inside the hub. I said all this has been done. Just put me through to cancellations. He said I am going to fix it. He said can you unplug the router.

So I decided to give him a chance he said I am going going to send some new signals to the hub but leave it off just now. I could hear computer keys getting hit at a very fast pace. After that he told me to plug it back in. I said what have you done changed the chanel? Yes and sent new signals to it. I said ok, thank you bye. After putting phone down I expected the usual. But nope whatever he's done has fixed it. So fingers crossed that's it finished.

But I think it will start back up soon. I think they have something that's making me loose signal. And it's on 2.4ghz and the 5ghz. But I hope this is the end of it. Thanks anyway mate.

hollyoaks777, Mar 17, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I love this program for seeing what is going on in the WiFi channels:
    inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 Download - TechSpot

Also, I have one of these on my second floor, because my main WiFi router is in the basement:
    Linksys RE6500 AC1200 Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender

I love it because lets say I connect on the 2.4 Ghz channel, it will communicate with my main router/hub on the 5 Ghz channel so I get full speed WiFi. I get 100% of my internet speed regardless of where I connect in my house on WiFi and I also get 100% of my internet speed when connected to the Gigabit Ethernet ports on the range extender.

Also, in regards to using a range extender, I stayed in a cabin at a hot springs and my computer could not connect to their WiFi from my cabin. They said WiFi was only available in their lounge/lobby, not in the cabins. I had a cheap HooToo travel WiFi hub with me to watch movies over a mobile network during our road trip. I set that for their WiFi network and password and left it turned on while we went to soak in the hot springs. I come back to the cabin and the little HooToo travel hub had managed to connect to their signal and was rebroadcasting it in my cabin for me Can your neighbours stop your WiFi :).

NavyLCDR, Mar 17, 2016
  7. I get 50 meg in my bedroom and 73 in my living room. I eventually got a technition out it worked for 5 minutes and back to the usual.

I was back on the phone the tech done something different this time. I also shouted up to them to stop messing up my WiFi.

It's worked ever since thank God. This was only yesterday.

hollyoaks777, Mar 17, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Plasma tv's and Ham radios can kill a WiFi network real quick. Same as a heavily congested area with all of the A/P's on the same channel.

bro67, Mar 17, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

some ISP''s also slow people down if they think they are downloading too much even if the contract says Unlimited use. There's always a sleazebag scuzzy Lawyer around who probably will pull off some total B/S in really small script on about page 94 on "Terms and Conditions" with some remark as "Reasonable Usage" whatever that means.

I found in the UK SKY broadband was the most reasonable with downloads --I was often downloading stuff (Via TOR otherwise a lot of sites blocked in UK) which I couldn't get anywhere -- wouldn't be shown in UK or Iceland so that was the only way f getting hold of the material.

While I had a SKY contract I never had any problem with them slowing the service down. I'd avoid Virgin Media like the plague --I've seen their "Engineers" and believe me the Garbage Collection people know more about computers and Broadband than those Virgin Media Engineers,

Note also Microwaves, Mobile phones or other wireless devices can interefere hideously with the 2,4 GHZ Band. Use the 5GHZ if possible - especially for your INTERNAL wifi network. Even people's SATNAV's can cause signal degradation - and also beware of those new Wireless Screens (INTEL Wireless screen technology).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 17, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Jimbo on the Channels, I use 1 & 5 for Wireless-N. The U.S. ISPs can no longer throttle, but they try to make it so that those who do tend to abuse, get temporary throttle by the software in the Headend which is looking for abusers. I switched from ATT to Comcast for a 6 month period. There was hardly anyone on the node that I was on. They actually have to pad the lines to the customers, because they are set up for heavier user loads, which came off when ATT lit up their U-Verse system and the majority of people in my town switched.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can your neighbours stop your WiFi - Similar Threads - neighbours stop WiFi

2. stop your cursor from moving with your direction Keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    stop your cursor from moving with your direction Keys: This is the answer to all the people out there that have their cursor moving with their direction keys is to press F7. F7 is the key you probably pressed on accident while typing so all you need to do is press F7 again to stop your problem....
  3. Your Phone starts and stops

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Your Phone starts and stops: Windows 10 Pro in workgroup 20H2 Your Phone previously worked and now when click on, starts and stops I see YourPhoneService.exe running in task manager, details. end task and then start and it flashes on and then off C:\Program...
  4. Can your neighbors ..... ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can your neighbors ..... ?: Can your neighbors access your Windows screen if you forget to turn off/lock your laptop even if they're outside your apartment and even if you your laptop have password because you're away from it for mins? Not to mention without updates. submitted by /u/ADAMINVICTUS...
  5. "Can' sign into your account"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Can' sign into your account": Got it randomly after a restart. Files appear to be intact. Some guides told me to enter safe mode and restart but I can't open the windows menu/key in safe mode to restart. Any other methods to fix this issue ? All help is appreciated as it's finals time! submitted by...
  6. Wifi doesn't show Home's wifi but show neighbouring wifi(s)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi doesn't show Home's wifi but show neighbouring wifi(s): Hi, it's been quite some time since i came here for help. But behold Microsoft didn't kept me long. So it's been 3 days since i'm experiencing this on my HP Laptop running Windows 10 20H2 build 19082.645. But 3 days ago i was running version 1909, and this problem was also...
  7. WiFi- "Sync is not available for your account. Contact your system administrator"

WiFi- "Sync is not available for your account. Contact your system administrator": Hello, i've updated to 2004 win version and idk why this happen What i have to do, and how i fix this Thank you! [ATTACH] * Moved from Community Participation Center * Original title: ABOUT WIFI...
  8. What was hacked, the Wifi or your computer?

What was hacked, the Wifi or your computer?: What was hacked, the Wifi or your computer? Windows registry can retain previous SSID’s until flushed out or you go in and manually remove those remembered SSID’s that you have connected to. 150034
  9. Your Phone Companion WiFi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your Phone Companion WiFi: Just wanted to share that disabling Mobile Data forced Your Phone Companion to connect to my PC using WiFi. Simple, I know. But, just in case anyone needs the info, that did it for me....
  10. How to stop "Your Phone"

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to stop "Your Phone": I don't want "Your Phone" running in the background, unasked for. I don't want "Settings". I don't want "Microsoft Edge". I don't want "Microsoft Store". Isn't there SOME way to turn off all this automatic stuff that I don't want and don't need?...